Augie Retiring After 2016 Season

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Godz40acres, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

For several weeks, Burnt Ends reported that Augie Garrido planned to retire. As part of that series of reports, we also told you that Steve Patterson and influencers in Bellmont are all content to let Garrido make the decision on when it’s time for him to step down.

The fluid part in the situation is Skip Johnson. As Burnt Ends reported, if Garrido steps down immediately, then Johnson is not likely to be a candidate to fill UT’s vacancy. In the event Johnson isn’t retained, there are multiple schools that are interested in him – some as a head coach, others as a pitching guru.

Now that the emotion of the postseason is wearing off, both the highs (Big 12 tournament) and lows (performance against DBU) have subsided and earnest talks about the immediate future of the Texas baseball program are ongoing. Even with their winless trip to Dallas, Garrido’s steadfast belief in the team’s talent level was validated when Texas went undefeated in the conference tournament.

Two weeks of postseason play led to feelings that the things that prevented success in 2015 will be much improved in 2016. With this in mind, Garrido told Patterson that he wanted to coach for one more year, with public knowledge that he will retire after the 2016 season.

From Bellmont’s perspective, that is the easy part.

With multiple schools lining up to talk to Johnson about taking the next step in his career, Garrido, Patterson, and UT find themselves in a predicament: how can they retain Johnson as UT’s pitching coach during Garrido’s final year? Does a new title, a raise, or a (gulp!) ‘head coach in waiting’ tag pacify Johnson enough to stay in Austin?

The difficulty:
    • Garrido is not interested in working with a new pitching coach in his final year. That’s understandable.
    • UT isn’t excited by the idea of not being able to conduct a thorough search after Garrido’s retirement. That’s understandable.
    • With major programs telling him that he could be their head coach, Johnson needs something from UT in writing that guarantees his future with the program. That’s understandable.
    As you can see, this is a very developed and dynamic situation. With multiple sources corroborating on the decisions being made, HornSports will continue to provide information as we’re able.

[Full HornSports article here]

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

What do some of you UT baseball experts think? Should Patterson / UT work to insure Johnson stays and is named HC after Augie retires or should UT go out and find another HC somewhere else? If they go elsewhere who would you like to see Patterson consider?

3. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

I'd love to see Skip Johnson become the next HC - if he's interested.

Of course I want him to remain as pitching coach, but is there a successful HC out there that also acts as pitching coach? It seems like a pretty difficult thing to do - balance the two. Frank Anderson and Tom Holliday were great pitching coaches, but were less than successful as HC. Although Holliday has had some recent success.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

As stated, that's a tough one, because highly successful assistant coaches do not always become successful head coaches. But maybe the best way to go would be to hire Skip Johnson, because the Disch is a pitchers park, and Skip Johnson is a pitcher's coach.
    Any time you change coaches, no matter who is brought in, you run the risk of being worse, not better.

5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

This is a really tough one. Skip is an unbelievable pitching coach and had strong success as HC of Navarro (9 conference titles in 13 tries). At the same time, Navarro isn't big school baseball, whatever that's worth. He has no head coaching skins at the top level on his wall. Something that would prove he's an ideal choice.

If Skip took over, would we then still need a new pitching coach? If we must hire a new pitching coach for 2016 regardless, then maybe we should go get the most proven, successful head coach. On the flip side, if we're hiring a new pitching coach, there's no one more qualified to select him than Skip. Decision, decisions.

Not saying Skip wouldn't succeed, but at the same time the UT baseball program is one of the most storied and accomplished of all time in college sports. We have a real ace card with that anytime we search for a coach. Even moreso than football and basketball. This is important because there's little doubt our top position will attract interest from the best of the best.

I doubt very seriously Texas will come away with less than an exciting, stellar new head coach if we take our time and exhaust all avenues. Then again, Patterson will lead the search so maybe Skip is the best way to avoid more robotic CEO decisions and destruction to our traditions.

I'd prefer to wait and conduct a thorough search. But if Skip is given the job beforehand, he'll have my support without complaint. Johnson is a born and bred Texan with deep connections all over the state. I'm sure the recruiting under his direction would be elite level.

Now that I'm thinking about Patterson in charge of this, screw it, pass the ball to Skip and let's roll. I'd rather trust our fate to him than SP. The Wisconsin born and NBA minded Patterson is the last guy I want deciding the fate of the mighty Texas Longhorns baseball tradition.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  6. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I have thought about this and while still weighing all things considered for awhile, I believe this.

There are head coaches that handle the pitching, Childress at A&M does this. The fact that other schools are lining up, shows you what they think about Skip, as a head coach. This explains why Baylor didn't talk to Skip, they need a head coach next season.

Skip could become the head coach, then hire two top notch assistants, that can teach hitting and recruit. He knows "Texas," the recruits and the coaches in this state. This would finally address a need, that has been lacking for years. Nicholson has just not gotten the job done, he didn't have the knowledge needed, to recruit Texas. He has done a poor job as the hitting coach, hard to deny that. His time as a third base coach was so bad, they had to pull him in favor of Skip Johnson. Skip finally said he didn't want to coach third, so they put Nicholson back and the bad base running continued. Having two top notch and Texas savvy assistants, would take a lot of the burden off Skip. Coaches throughout Texas know and like Skip, I don't think he would have any problem finding a couple of very capable assistants.

Aggie coach Childress, has credited much of their success to the hiring of a top notch assistant, in Will Bolt.

There isn't a stand alone, best in the business head coach out there now, as in the past, certainly not one just willing to leave and come to Texas. The LSU coach isn't leaving, Martin is too old at Florida State. As mentioned, Skip has had a successful head coaching stint at a good program. Other top assistant coaches had little to no experience as a head coach, before taking the helm at a big program. Skip has head coaching experience in Texas, can't stress his knowledge of the state enough. Some guy named Wayne Graham did the same thing, at San Jacinto, before taking over at Rice, he did pretty well. Baseball people in Texas, know how good the top Junior College programs are in this state. Navarro is certainly one of those, along with San Jacinto.

Until this all shakes out and I can see exactly what is going to happen. I stand by a proven commodity, that is only lacking a decent offense, to keep Texas Baseball a powerhouse.

There wouldn't be the snafu that the "head coach in waiting had in football." There Brown didn't leave and Muschamp got tired of waiting and left.

This would be an orderly transition, with time to prepare, yet knowing that the next season that Skip would take over. I would prefer a year of transition, than losing the part of Texas Baseball, that kept it somewhat successful, in very difficult times.

Why bring in an outsider, when you have a Texan, with so much knowledge and a proven record for success.

Even Augie got off to a very rough start, at Texas, remember those first two seasons. Skip could hit the ground running, no need to have to work his way into the position and learn the lay of the land.

So for all the reasons above, I proudly vote and support the nomination of Skip Johnson, as the next head baseball coach at Texas.

• Like Like x 3
  7. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

+1 :hookem:

8. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm gonna alter my vote firmly in Skip's direction. Several reasons NBHorn7 elaborated on make perfect sense. Plus the Patterson element is something I want to avoid like the plague when it comes to our baseball program. I'm now fully behind tabbing Skip as the HCIW.

If Skip still coaches the pitchers, we are set there. No concerns he won't continue to recruit players at or above the current level. Which leaves hitting the missing element. The same one Augie couldn't fix the last several years. Skip would have to phone it in not to improve that failing aspect with a new hire. Yeah, count me in, Johnson is the man going forward.

9. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

NBH makes alot of sense. I like Skip and his Navarro experience is a plus. My vote would be HCIW for Skip and then survey the best hitting coaches in the country, let Skip throw big money at the assistant and then find your recruiting coordinator. Its been down right shameful to have such successful arms and such poor run support.

10. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Do we know this AS FACT that Augie is, indeed, retiring after the 2016 season? Or is it more of a designed thought...such as Augie saying to Patterson "If I don't get us to the College World Series next year, I'll resign at the end of the season." Or Patterson "Augie, if you don't get the team to the College World Series next season, you'll need to just retire."

I have no idea if the "sources" of this story have factual information or not. Just wondering!
    Thanks

11. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

It's more of a we know something nobody else knows yet, kind of story. Nothing is a fact till it's put in writing.

The timeline makes sense as, far as Baylor not talking to Skip, I can't imagine he wasn't even being considered, after the DBU coach shot them down.

Skip wants to know what his future here at UT is. If he isn't going to be the head coach after Augie leaves, whether in one or two years, he will go elsewhere as a head coach. I can't blame him for that. I don't see how anybody can, it's his time to move up somewhere in D1 baseball.

Skip will still be an active recruiter, he wants to recruit his pitching staff, as he has always done. He gets the top pitching prospects because they know he is one of the very best pitching coaches in the nation. They also know that he is sought out by top major league pitchers, like Kershaw, for coaching and advise. Why wouldn't a top young pitching prospect want him to be his coach? They see videos on youtube.com of a Cy Young and MVP pitcher working out in the Longhorn bullpen, as Skip is coaching him, it makes a pretty good impression. I would hate to see those videos being from some other college program's bullpen.

Can you imagine what the team could be like, with three experienced active recruiters out on the trail. The other two coaches would go after position players. Recruiting has suffered over the years with Harmon not getting out there. Then Nicholson was from California and didn't know the Texas recruiting scene. Augie hasn't gone out and actively recruited in years. He talks to kids when they come to Austin or on the phone.

I just like Skip as the next head coach, instead of some search by some committee that may or may not know about Texas baseball or even the game of baseball. Even some former UT players put on it, might not know what is going on in college baseball now.

I feel like I know what I am getting with Skip and I can't say that for certain, with some coach from another program or from another state. He would have to learn on the fly and that is harder for baseball, than football, or basketball.

12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well, he hasn't said anything to me about it.

13. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

He did ask me what I thought. My recommendation was for him to stick around just to spite everyone on this board. And if Patterson tries to fire him, he should sue for age discrimination.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Sage advice.....

15. accuratehorn

a) I thought Augie would stay until after the 2017 season, when his contract ends.
    b) Skip Johnson would be the logical choice as successor at this point, and I wouldn't complain about it.
    c) Patterson would likely hire a proven commodity, as in a successful manager from Home Depot who increased their sales with especially effective Black Friday promotions, or maybe one who rose through the ranks at McDonald's to own 24 stores in Reno, Nevada.

16. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

You underestimate ol' Steve. I think he will require 25+ stores. After all - WE ARE TEXAS!

17. accuratehorn

Apologies to Mr. Patterson for the insulting under-estimation.

18. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Thanks for your reply. As you've stated, there's so much to consider. And with any coaching hire in any sport at UT, we all want the best decisions to be made for the sake of our great athletic programs. I simply hope that Skip will "wait it out," as I think he's one of the 2 or 3 best pitching coaches in the country. I remember Skip saying he came to Texas because he wanted to coach under "the best coach in college baseball." Obviously, Augie hired Skip because he was convinced that Skip was, by many standards, the best pitching coach in the country. If there's that much mutual respect between them, I innately feel that all will work out well on the Forty Acres for both.
    And we fans will rejoice in our baseball program's successes.

19. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Funny post.....I'm still laughing.
    I enjoy the good sense of humor.

20. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I'm on the fence about Augie. I could see him go now, or see him stay a few more seasons. However, despite Skip Johnson's abilities, I don't feel like he's the guy to lead our program. Assistant coaches at places like Fullerton have done well, but, frankly, WE'RE TEXAS, so I expect when Augie is done here, you make a big splash hire. So you go get Savage at UCLA, or O'Connor from Virginia (Just a couple of names). Someone, like when Augie was hired, everyone says "Wow!" Hate to say it this way, but guys who are assistants or pitching coaches for a long period of time are there for a reason. If Skip is that good, why hasn't he taken/been offered a head coaching gig? Don't get me wrong, he's a great pitching coach, but, after that.....?

21. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Augie is staying one more season, maybe a second, to complete his contract, that's it. There will be no few more seasons.

Skip Johnson was very good head coach at Navarro, for 13 years and now many programs, are ready to offer him a head coaching job. Baylor would have done so, but they have to have a coach next season.

Skip was learning more of what it takes to be a head coach at a major program and now it's his time. He was asked to interview for the Tennessee head job in 2011, and would have had an excellent chance to get it, he turned them down. Augie hired him because he was the best at his job. Skip wanted to learn from the best and be ready for the Texas job, he did. That is the reason he stayed. He is going to be a head coach.

Those two names or any other head coach, are not even close to what Augie was, when he was hired. There are no head coaches like Augie out there, when he was hired.

Like Coach Gus before him, he was the top winning coach in college baseball. He wasn't even the first choice, that was Skip Bertman, at LSU, who turned the Texas job down. There are no coaches out there like them, the closest might be the present coach at LSU, Mainieri, who would also turn Texas down.

There are no Wow coaches out there.

22. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

I'd like to hear what Skip thinks about what he would do with the head job at UT after next year? What would he do, who would he hire, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully Patterson is or will be talking to Augie, Gus, and Skip about what comes next after Augie hopefully whips up some Omaha magic for next year.

23. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

He can't say anything definite about any coaches, till he gets the job. He doesn't know who he can get, till he can promise them the job. He knows the coaches in Texas and beyond. He is well liked and highly thought of.

He will get capable coaches, that can teach and recruit. That is a huge change, from the get go, for recruiting, hitting and base running. Does anybody really doubt this?

Again there would be no time wasted on learning the Texas program and recruiting scene. It took Augie two whole seasons to get his players and learn the landscape, two tough seasons.

He would do what he has done, be an excellent pitching coach and recruiter. I don't think he has forgotten what it's like to be a head coach either. Two top assistants will make it much easier, than how it's been, the last few years.

24. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

I think that most everyone has agreed that Skip is one of the top 3 pitching coaches in the country. Augie hired him because UT wants the best! And Skip said he wanted the opportunity to work under the best coach in college baseball. Believe me, there's all kinds of dynamics that go on behind the scenes. Augie and Skip may have already discussed and concluded what they have planned and a time-frame. Skip has had offers before. He'll get offers this summer. If he just wants to be a head coach---anywhere-- he can do that at anytime. If he wants to be the head coach at UT, I'm sure there are plans about what could be and will be augmented to make that happen, IF that's best for the program. If Skip simply wants a head coaching job, not necessarily at UT, he's been offered and will be offered that opportunity, and he will move on. Then again, he may have his heart set on being the Longhorn's coach. It's one of the 3 top coaching jobs in the country. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'm sure he knows what the probabilities are for him to become our head coach someday. If it's a good probability, he'll wait til his name is called.
    After all, it could be sooner rather than later. It sure would behoove him to help get the program back to the top of the Big XII ASAP.
    And next year's pitching staff could be one of the best he's had in many years.

25. accuratehorn

Once upon a time, UT hired a top high school coach to become head baseball coach...his name was Cliff Gustaffson (sp?).
    He thought the phone call, which I believe was from Darrell Royal, was a joke and hung up on the caller, who had to call back.
    Different era, though.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

NB, O'Connor would be a WOW hire for those that know college baseball. He has built the Virginia program from nothing to a CWS contender pretty much every year. And he is an excellent pitching coach.

27. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Pat Casey has actually won two national titles at Oregon State, but neither is a Wow, like Augie was at the time, with more wins than anybody and national titles.

Augie took over a team that didn't have their own field to play on and in two years beat the Goliath of college baseball in USC, on their field in a regional. USC had won five straight national championships. Then in four more years, he won a national championship and they kept winning. That Wows me.

A guy that builds a contender and hasn't won a title in 11 years, doesn't Wow me. Virginia isn't exactly a poor little sister, it has money, Fullerton didn't.

Neither of those coaches knows the Texas landscape and as I said, even Augie had, two tough season, before being successful, at Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  28. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

We chanted stay for Frank Anderson. He was not a quality head coach. I'm warming towards Savage. possibly O'Sullivan at Florida. Although if it was my pick I'd bring Pat Murphy out of the cold and chain a compliance officer to his ankle.

29. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Frank Anderson was a hot head, from Texas Tech. He also wasn't half the pitching coach that Skip is. Plenty of people didn't like him, this included every umpire in college baseball.

Skip has already been a successful head coach, just like Wayne Graham was.

I did no chanting for Anderson, next.

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I like Skip. I would be more than fine with him at the helm.

• Like Like x 1