Augie Retiring After 2016 Season

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Godz40acres, Jun 9, 2015.

1. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Maybe I haven't followed him that much regarding off-field issues, if any (the linked article mentions a kerfuffle with Gator faithful regarding recruiting, scholarships, etc.), but Andy Lopez https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Lopez just retired on May 25 (edit: hmmmmm, verrry interesting), still only 61 (Augie is 76), just about the age Texas hired Garrido, like Garrido has won the World Series at two different schools (Pepperdine !!! [over Cal State Fullerton, not Garrido's version, though], and Arizona).

I recall Arizona fans being turds, but not sure if that's a reflection on the baseball head coach.

And Patterson recently was AD at nearby ASU, may have bumped into Lopez a time or two over coffee and/or a beer a few years ago.

Could get 15 years out of him, like with Augie.

2 Series titles with two different schools.

2. marley

marley 500+ Posts

My info a couple of weeks ago was that Patterson had asked Augie to announce after this season that 2016 would be his last year and that Patterson would give Augie a sort of "Coach Emeritus" position that would not require him to reside in Texas.

I think what I've seen in the news shows that is panning out.

I'd love to see Skip get a shot at the head coaching job. As NB says, with Skip handling the pitching and a couple of really good recruiting assistants who could teach hitting and defense, Texas baseball would get back to where it was before Harmon got really lazy and Nicholson didn't work out.