Augie: “We can be a championship team”

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Driver 8, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Augie quote from The Daily Texan.

A bleak beginning to the season dug Texas a deep hole. But taking two of three from the conference-leading Red Raiders — and five of the last six games — is an encouraging sign for a team that has underwhelmed throughout the year. And while winning the conference is still a long shot, Garrido believes his team has the talent, and now the momentum, to do it.

“It’s not over by any stretch of the imagination,” Garrido told 104.9 The Horn. “We’re continuing to get better and we’re showing we can be a championship team.”

2. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I think that's the booze talking.

3. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

We’ve seen that Tech apparently doesn’t have a third starter in its pitching rotation, and the Red Raiders inexplicably scheduled two mid-week games this week before their series against TCU. Meanwhile, Texas and Oklahoma State are playing the best baseball in the conference at the moment – the winner of next weekend’s series may just win the whole thing. The next 4 weeks should be interesting.

4. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Good weekend, not trying to get my hopes up!!!!

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Kind of a low blow to poke fun at the man's alcohol issues but whatever gets you off.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What issues that 99% of the population don't have?

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Actually I think the talent is there. That's why I finally jumped off the Augie bandwagon. However if Augie turns this last series into a win streak and has a successful postseason, I'll be happy to rejoin the "one more year" group.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I don't catch your meaning.

9. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Texas Tech has had two midweek games three of four times this season. They played #5 ranked Florida State and split those two midweek games.

Then went to Stillwater and swept OSU. Tech wins by scoring a ton of runs. They have overcome TCU and lead the Big 12 in that department. Texas shut down the Tech offense, for the last fourteen innings of the series and outscored them.

There needs to be some sweeps involved for OSU or Texas to have any chance to catch Tech. Tech has a three game lead over both and the tiebreaker over OSU. Winning a series 2-1, doesn't gain much ground, unless the team your trying to catch gets swept.

Tech built their lead on the back of sweeps of OU, KSU, and OSU and not being swept in a series.

TCU has swept OU and WVU, hasn't been swept.

OSU was swept by Tech, but swept Baylor, to even things out, while Texas has neither swept or been swept.

Luken Baker had to come of the Friday game against OSU, in the second inning, with an injury to his throwing arm. He did come back and be the DH, in the next two games. If he can't pitch against Tech on Friday night or during that series, that really hurts TCU. It's a battle of the two best hitting teams in the Big 12 and all arms will probably be needed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

The Horns just can't afford a meltdown like we have seen happen in other sports. It seems like it happens in almost every sport a UT recently. We always think everything is going to be OK, and then boom, the unthinkable happens. Anyway, I am just happy to see a couple of the sticks come alive over the weekend. Love Cantu, but dang his bat was killing the Horns.

11. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I just saw that Tech rescheduled one of its two mid-week games this week for sometime in May. I have to think this weekend's looming series with TCU influenced this, as they didn't want to needlessly use up pitching arms.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What alcohol issues are you referring to with regard to Augie that don't apply to 99% of the population?

13. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

In 2014 we pulled off a run to become a national semi-finalist in the college world series. Maybe Augie has one last surprise....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

In 2009 he had a DWI.

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So everyone who has had a DWI has a drinking issue? More likely a decision-making issue. I thought you were alluding to evidence that Augie was a lush. Remember when Craig James of SMU killed 5 hookers?

16. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Damn, I forgot the Horns had come that close that year. I have a fonder memory of the magical 2009 run even though they were the #1 seed and lost to LSU in the championship series. That team played some crazy games all the way up to the finals.

17. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Regardless of improved play, banking on winning the conf tourney is a longshot strategy that usually ends poorly.

We need to take this one game at a time as each win is crucial. The best way to reset the season in June is to finish out strong and lock down at least an at-large.

No less than 3-1 this week is paramount to chasing an at-large. A loss tonight would drop us back to 3 games under .500 with 11 games to go. At that point even an 8-3 finish would at the very least require a tourney finals appearance, if not win it all.

We have a huge opportunity tonight to win and enter the weekend series one game under .500 against our best remaining opponent. If we then take 2 of 3 from OSU our record evens with 8 games left against very beatable opponents.

Even record, 8 games to go, tiebreaker advantage over all three good teams in conference. That sets up a final run for an at-large with pretty good odds.

We need the continued surge of momentum and confidence from a win tonight to make the run happen. A loss would not only hurt the record ( 3 games under .500), but stunt momentum and let doubt continue to linger. Let's do this, then OSU is in the crosshairs.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  18. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Though a win tonight may help momentum into the weekend, a loss could bring these guys back down to Earth. So often our teams ( all sports ) get rolling or have a big win and get cocky, only to get their ___ packed in when they need a big win.
    I'm pulling for a win, but don't think it will hurt matters if TSU beats us.

19. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Let's be clear - I am OUT on Augie and I have been ever since his DWI. He has no business leading these young men when he makes decisions like that, anymore than Rosemary Limberg has any business prosecuting others for DWI when she herself makes decisions like that. But this is Austin, let's not point any fingers or say anyone did anything wrong, let's just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened. More importantly, let's call out anyone who points it out and say they are insensitive and mean. As someone once said, whatever gets you off.

20. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Friend of mine from work reminded me of Shortstack's video of Rockwall's 4-run bomb against Army that got us to the Super that year. Hopefully, this blast from the past will bring fond memories and will jazz up the Team for this big weekend series.

Hook 'em.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Seems to me that Augie handled it very well. And his players learned from how he handled the situation. Hopefully, they'll learn from his extensive knowledge of life...not to mention baseball.
    Hook'Em!

fyi: Great win on a Tuesday. Perhaps the Tuesday jinx is over. Still not starting pitcher on Tuesdays....and dang, I hurt for Conner Mays. But our bullpen was great!