austin daycare/preschool recs

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by rhorn27, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rhorn27

rhorn27 250+ Posts

Fellow Austin parents -

We have a 23 month-old child that we would like to start getting on wait lists for preschools. Both parents work full time. Any recommendations out there for preschools? Any idea how soon we need to get on these waiting lists and how long we can expect to wait? Also, we currently aren't happy with her daycare right now - any recommendations for daycare facilities. We live and work in Central Austin.

2. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Hyde Park Baptist (40th and Speedway; 459-6587) operates both a day care and a preschool. First English Lutheran (30th and Whitis; 478-5424) also has a day care with a pretty good reputation. No idea about costs.

3. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

We did First English for a year, and our son really enjoyed it. The teachers were friendly and diligent and the parents were very involved (something that has not been the case at our childcare place now that we've moved to Virginia). At the time (last year), it was $715/mo for a 3-year-old.

4. Horn9497

Horn9497 100+ Posts

Our son went to the Children's School from age 3 (earliest they take them). We were very happy with it.

5. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

Our kids have all gone to the Dell Jewish Community Center off Far West and we've been very happy. FYI, we're not jewish--there is not requirement to attend. They have tons of other cool programs as well.

6. Mrs.Macanudo

Mrs.Macanudo 25+ Posts

7. elface

elface 250+ Posts

International Montessori House of Children was where we sent our daughter and we were very pleased. It has been around since the 60's and the director learned from montesorri in india. From what I remember they taught a lot thru song. A five year old kid gave an unflappable 10 minute presentation about Christmas when we checked out the program. Location is off of Far West Blvd, just west of Mopac.

8. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

My son went to The Children's Center (Jester@2222) and it would be impossible to convey how happy I was with it. However, he has not been there in 5 years and they have grown into multiple locations since, so I can't say it is the same.

9. D_Wreck11

D_Wreck11 250+ Posts

Describe "happy". My 3 & 1/2 yo is at Valley View, and although the teachers are nice and he likes going 2 days a week, they aren't exactly "teaching" him too much. He can read basic Dr Seuss books, but they read to him, not with him. I don't want him learning pre-cal, but I do feel it should be a bit more challenging.

10. austingirl25

austingirl25 25+ Posts

I'm due in June with our first and we picked a Stepping Stone School close to our house. It came really highly recommended and is reasonably priced.

11. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

12. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

I worked at First English Luth. for almost three years in college. It's an excellent place-- they allow kids to blossom and grow without hindering their creative drives. Hard to get in to, but easier for an older kid I think. --I worked there like 7 years ago though, so it could have changed, but the director is still the same and she's great.

The Dell Jewish CC is good too-- the family I've worked for for the last 7 years has sent their kids to the after school program/ summer "camp" program for several years. In general-- the kids are well taken care of. I've occasionally had to get grumpy b/c the college kids that work it don't always stay focused, (for example, I was pretty pissed one day when they had about 40 kids swimming in one lane of the pool and the guy watching them was texting on his cell phone continuously.) You have to be a member to go there, but the membership is reasonable and comes with perks like access to their full gym and pool.

--Smurfette (didn't remember the hubby was logged in before I started typing.)

13. 726

726 100+ Posts

Yes, three year olds can read. My daughter is 2 years, eight months, and is beginning to do so. My wife has made excellent use of the time they spend together. No one, regardless of how much you pay them, is going to work as hard at parenting (teaching) and caring for (protecting) your child as you would (should). In general, however, you'll get what you pay for, and sparing any expense on the care of your children seems indefensible to me. These thoughts guided our decision making with respect to our daughter's care.

We gave up a few material things and have the best child care that can be had, that of a parent. Our childcare fell through right before we were about to begin using it, and scrambling to find a replacement felt very uncomfortable, so we decided my wife would quit her job (school counselor) and raise our daughter. Best decision we've ever made. Most couples that believe they can't afford to live on one income are right. They can't do it with two car payments, $200 jeans, etc. Think about what you may or may not regret in life, with respect to the decisions you made regarding parenting, when you're rocking on your porch in your retirement years. Let that be your guide.

14. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

^^^^
    Thanks for the lecture. [​IMG]

We've got our four year old daughter at St. Martin's at 15th and Nueces. We've had a good experience here. Our daughter has learned a lot (reading, writing) and they have some good specialty classes here (dance, Spanish, music) although I worry that she's going to be taught all the same things again in Kindergarten next year and going to be bored. It is a little more on the structured side than other places.

One big plus is that their food is catered by Sweetish Hill Bakery so they aren't eating industrial crap food that some other preschools/daycares serve up.

For a two year old, tuition is $780 a month.