Austin Regional June 4-6, 2021

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 2, 2021.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Texas is the number two overall national seed and number one seed in the Austin Regional to be played at the Disch. The Texas pitching rotation hasn't yet been announced.

NCAA AUSTIN REGIONAL SCHEDULE
    Friday, June 4
    Game 1: #1 Texas vs. #4 Southern – 1 p.m., Longhorn Network
    Game 2: #2 Arizona State vs. #3 Fairfield – 6 p.m., ESPN3

Saturday, June 5
    Game 3: Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2 – 1 p.m.
    Game 4: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 – 6 p.m.

Sunday, June 6
    Game 5: Winner Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4 – 1 p.m.
    Game 6: Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 4 – 7 p.m.

Monday, June 7
    Game 7 (if necessary): same teams as Game 6 – 3 p.m. (subject to change)

Baseball selected as No. 2 national seed - University of Texas Athletics

Texas lands No. 2 national seed

• Like Like x 1
  2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I know there are some pierce lovers on here but how does the #2 national seed lose out of our own conference tournament and especially to the #8 seed? I know the typical response is they didnt need it or the other teams wanted it more. If you played sports, you know this is BS as you hate to lose more than you love to win.

So whats your prediction for the horns this time? Do we even get out of our bracket? Do we get to Omaha? Anyone predicting we win it all?

4. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

This happened often with Augie's teams, and then his team would make noise in the big tournament (I think Augie hated the conference tourney). We'll see if Pierce can do the same thing.

5. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Looks like a rainy Friday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday. Good luck squeezing in baseball!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Whine, whine, whine.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you win the (or tie in this case) Regular Season Championship and know you will be playing in the NCAA Tournament, a mental break generally follows. Better to be up and well for the Tournament than what effectively is an exhibition. (of course, if you think you are on the bubble you have to push hard.)

The continuing worry storylines for Texas this season are the unbelievable number of K's (and growing with each game) and dead bats (some caused by a K or a backward K) with men in scoring position.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

2005 team didn't win the big XII tournament. They also lost a series to Kansas of all teams late in the season and was swept by Baylor. But they won the national championship, the one tournament that actually matters. Augie's teams seemed to hit a level of refusing to lose when it came to the tournament, it was magical to watch. I'm looking for that from Pierce's teams, I'm not expecting it, just watching to see if it happens. Its his job to prepare them for this moment.

As for my thoughts on Pierce, hes still being judged. I wasn't very happy with the early exit two years ago so I'm watching this one closely, its a weird year, we didn't really play enough outside competition late in the season for me to tell if this team is really the number two team or over rated. There was no Stanford, Rice wasn't strong this year, so I mean no one to compare other than the big XII.

I would say just because of the ranking and the performance two years ago that anything less than making noise in Omaha and he should be on the hot seat. Just my opinion.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The rain delays are going to make it tough mentally for the Horns. I am not confident we win 2 games.

10. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Rain should help the deeper pitching staff. If they cram games in on top of each other.

11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Your mistake is to look at baseball like many other sports, such as Football. First of all, baseball is simply a different game. it is a skill game, or at least much more of a skill game. You can't just go out and overpower an opponent with better athletes like you can in football.

Second, the scoring is different. You can load the bases every inning with singles and walks and never score a run, while the other team can have 1 hit when a guy just closes his eyes and swings like hell and it just happens to land in the street. You don't get 3 points for getting close like FB.

When these 2 things come together you get things like Georgia State beating Vandy and Indiana State beating the other UT twice. Over the season these things even out, but you're always going to have big upsets in baseball when these 2 things align, or maybe 3 things with a couple of errors thrown in, etc.

It's also why you don't see .700+ winnings %'s in MLB. Often the best teams have a win % barely over .600. Understand the game and like SN said, quit whining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

1-0 us on a sac fly after Antico stole.

Woo Hoo!

Melendez with a solo HR.

2-0

:bounce1::bounce1::bounce1::bounce1:
    :bevo::bevo::bevo:

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ha!

I had always thought Southern U. was in New Orleans (it's in Baton Rouge).

Silly me...

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That 3rd base official might have given us a gift there on that throw out by CF to 3rd after Trey's error. (I think he was safe) But I'll take it.

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

In another region,

#1 Arkansas is playing...

The New Jersey Institute of Technology. :yikes:

On edit: The New Jersey Institute of Technology jumps out to a 1-0 lead.
    Wonder if they'll hold onto that lead.

Make that a 2-0 NJIT lead.
    :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

DALY!!!!!!

Awesome 3 run double with 2 outs and the bases loaded. The Southern OF just missed a diving catch. Now that's the kind of clutch hitting we've been missing for some time.

UT 5
    SU 0

:bevo::bevo::bevo::yippee::yippee::yippee::bounce1::bounce1::bounce1:

And Zubia with a single he stretched into a double--drives Daly in for another score. More clutch hitting! SU has their bullpen working...

UT 6
    SU 0

Well, the bats have come alive indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Daily Double

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

How about Tristan Stevens folks!

0 runs with 80 pitches through 7 innings. That's about as good as it gets. This is exactly what we needed. It will be interesting to see if Pierce lets him complete the game, so as to save a bullpen arm or two for later in the regional.

[​IMG]

On edit: On the other side, Southern's relievers have mostly pitched ok (other than a wild pitch or two). The long haired/mullet guy starter dug them a deep hole early on.

And now Southern is falling apart with throwing errors, etc. It's looking like the big leagues vs. double A now.

9-0 UT.

• Like Like x 3
  21. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We closed out the last two innings with Wenzel and Southard—leaving our top 3-4 relievers fresh for games 2 and 3.

Great work pitchers!

• Like Like x 3
  23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

And with only 80 pitches, Stephens is potentially available for a couple of innings if there is a Monday game. :hookem:

24. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  25. FourHorner

FourHorner 100+ Posts

ASU benefits from a bogus HBP to walk in the tying run, then singles with one out in the ninth to win .

• Hot Hot x 1
  26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Today's schedule:

Fairfield v. Southern 1:00 p.m.
    Texas v. Arizona State 6:00 p.m.

27. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I can't believe that ESPN has the number 2 team in the country playing on a network with limited viewers. To be honest, this LHN is more of a pain in the *** than the good it does for the school. Would UT Athletics really miss the 10 mil LHN brings in to the program?

Either get rid of it or demand ESPN to include it with all their other sports channels when negotiating with providers. The viewers should not have to change their provider just to get one channel. Especially those of us who are happy with what we have, e.g. me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  28. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Any clues as to TV for tonite?

29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

LHN listed on texassports, 6pm

• poop poop x 1