'Bama will lose 3 games this year...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OrangeChipper, Aug 10, 2010.

1. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

I'm not high on them this year. Can't fault the voters for putting them #1. They deserve it based on last year's performance. But I just don't see how they repeat this year.

Let me enumerate.

#1. They only return 3 starters on Defense. Further, Dareus... the guy who knocked out Colt and then returned the shuttle pass for a TD... is under NCAA scrutiny. Rumors are he'll miss at least 4 games and MAY have to miss the entire year ala Dez Bryant. So when the Ncaa dust settles, they may only have 2 defensive starters returning.

#2. They have 6 games on the schedule against teams that have a bye week before they play them. In other words, 6 SEC caliber teams will have an extra week to prepare. Doesn't seem fair! It isn't fair! But that can't help them.

#3. The schedule. They have to play Penn State OOC. They also finally have to play Florida on their SEC slate. They haven't had to play them in the SEC since 2006!!. No wonder they keep meeting in the SEC champ game... they hardly ever play each other in the SEC regular season. They also have to play on the road against Arkansas and LSU. No gimmes. Especially considering point #2.

#4. Their style. Last year they pummelled you to death. You couldn't score 10 points on them. Over half of their SEC opponents last year scored under 10 points. And most of those games 'Bama was content to keep pounding until late in the game when their opponent was worn down. Basically they got a 7 pt lead last year and the game was over. (except Texas) They won't have that D this year.

If they get down early to say Arkansas... then they'll be in trouble because the steady ground attack won't work.

What say you??? I see them losing to Arky, Florida, and someone else.

2. ThxALUMS

ThxALUMS 100+ Posts

#5 Bama Sucks, Colt would have killed Bama
    McElroy? kidding me?

They might not win the SEC West this year, we'll get to see Sept 11 Penn St and Sept 25 @ Arkansas if I'm wrong.
    of course Oct 2 is Florida

They have to repeat as National Champions and earn National Respect

3. Sammy11

Sammy11 250+ Posts

Their offense will be more of the same. My question is what opposing QBs scare anyone? They run a press man defense that will beat down run based deep pass offenses. Tebow and Colt were the only 2 they faced last year and Arky is run based and Mallett is a statue.

That D gets ripped by a strong pass first offense that can give their qb time.

4. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

They'll get all they can handle in Piggieville. Make no mistake.

5. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Their D will not be as experienced as last year, but they will have talent and the coaches may decide to be less likely to embrace risk -- more zone, etc. Ohio State lost 9 starters on D once and went to the championship game.

Their O will be better. The QB isn't good, but he will be better than serviceable with a year's starting experience under the belt, Their running game will still be excellent and they have talented receivers.

Lose 3? Perhaps. Run the table? Doubtful. They will, however, be very formidable and a threat to win them all, at least on paper.

6. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

Nick Saban != Les Miles

Without key injuries I can't see they go full retard and lose 3.

7. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

Sammy11 - "That D gets ripped by a strong pass first offense that can give their qb time." Couldn't you say that about every defense in the country?

As to the original post:
    1. yes they only return those "starters", but most everyone that will be starting saw the field at some point last year (except db's). The entire D-Line saw the field regularly and in fact have some starts under their belts.

2. the bye week things sucks, but sometimes in life you just have to nut up and play the schedule you're given.

3. Penn State should be interesting, but I like Bama's chances of taking on a QB making only his 2nd start ever in college.
    The SEC has had that scheduling rotation for years now, and they've only played florida twice in the SEC title game in those 5 years.

4. is similar to #1. I think the defense will be more talented and athletic than last year, but the secondary needs to grow up quickly.

The main reason Bama would lose a few games this year is special teams. They have to replace the placekicker, punter and long-snapper. and appearently they'll all be true freshmen. Now THAT'S a reason you lose a few games [​IMG]

8. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

9. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Saban is a great defensive coach, but if you're replacing 9 starters, even if the guys coming in have some starts under their belt...that's not reloading...that's a new defense. 5 or 6 replaced with some studs...sure, but not 9. Their offense should be better I guess, but what does that mean?

10. Sammy11

Sammy11 250+ Posts

11. PhantomHorn

PhantomHorn 1,000+ Posts

The SEC is just too salty to make back to back runs. Bama has a tougher schedule this year.

Their SEC East rotation includes games @South Carolina, @Tenn and home against FL. The teams in the SEC West will be stronger while throwing in a game with Penn St.

I'd circle those road games to LSU and Arkansas as big trap games for them.

12. OrangeChipper

If they do happen to make the SEC champ game. They likely have to play Florida TWICE. Ouch. If I put the loss total over/under at 2.5 games I'm definitely betting the over.

13. bronco

bronco Guest

14. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

15. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Me thinks that:

Nick Saban != Les Miles

was supposed to be

Nick Saban =/= Les Miles

16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Nick Saban is night and day better than Les Miles, Saban may be unethical as an alleycat but he is a heck of a coach.

17. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

are you for real? It's literally possible that the guy who knocked Colt out of the game was possibly ineligible, or are you saying he has been in trouble with the law or what?

What is his name anyway, Dareus ?

18. longtex

longtex Guest

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Roma - both mean "not equal to".

20. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Miles:LSU:BCS NC

Switzer:Cowboys:NFL SB

21. longtex

longtex Guest

I didn't see Ole Miss mentioned.

Before the Masoli "acquisition" I would have agreed, but... Masoli is a stud-puppy, and Ole Miss has the week off before the game. We saw earlier this year that 'Bama was vulnerable to an open offense (if the QB could be protected or had some escapability), and Masoli looks to be considerably better QB than Snead. This could be a problem game for the Tide... we'll know more when we see how Nutt integrates Masoli into his scheme.

22. OrangeChipper

Dareus allegedly attended the party in Miami during the offseason. It would not have effected his eligibility during the MNC game. It may however effect his eligibility for the rest of this year.

23. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

I read on the Rivals mainboard that Arkansas has a pretty big secret going right now... Apparently Mallett has an injured foot. The thing is though is that his back-up is really good, so they may be alright, but I don't see them beating a team like Alabama.

I forgot about Ole Miss and Masouli. I don't see any reason why Nutt doesn't just open up the playbook, but it's not like Masouli really needs a coach to do that... He is average at best when he isn't improvising. We all know what VY did to folks on busted plays, but it was his consistency in the pocket that really made him much better than Michael Vick. Masouli = Matt Jones.... just not as stupid. Criminal records are similar too I guess. I could see Ole Miss beating them just because the Tide will have to literally be ready for everything. Are they one of the teams with a week to prepare? If so... loss.

Auburn could maybe beat them, they almost did last year. I also don't think they will win a game just because it is at home. Tennessee? Like it was said earlier, running teams can get in huge trouble if they get behind, and it won't matter if it is at home or not.

I think they beat Penn State though.

Does it seem LSU not being considered more as a loss? Besides Florida and Bama, LSU and Ole miss were 2nd in the SEC with 9 wins. Weird, They crap their pants over themselves but everyone else in the conference was pretty mediocre. How is that unlike the Big 12 most years? Anyways... Back to LSU... Both schools have a Bye week before the game, it's in Baton Rouge.

If I had to pick 3 losses, this is how it'd go down:

San Jose State W
    Penn State W
    at Duke W
    at Arkansas W
    vs. Florida L
    at South Carolina W
    Mississippi L
    @ Tennessee W
    @LSU L
    Mississippi State W
    Georgia State W
    Auburn W

I'd love nothing more than to see them lose. The message boards, not including Squall FWIW, is not one of them, is full of some of the most insufferable braggarts I've seen in a while. THis year I root for any team, including even OU (barf) to knock off that conference. 5 in a row would just be too much to handle.

24. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

25. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

26. longtex

longtex Guest

27. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

Does it really matter if Bama loses? After all, the SEC will likely be in the BCS championship mix--whether it be Florida, LSU or Arkansas. [​IMG] [​IMG]

28. OrangeChipper

Just thought I'd add a few more points. Been watching CBS sports channel as of late and got to see the replays of the Bama season. I saw virtually the entire games against Ole Miss, Auburn, Tennessee, & Florida.

Florida was the only complete game by them. They struggled against Ole Miss but won thanks to 6 turnovers.

Point #5. Their margin of victory in 2009 was among the lowest of top 25 teams. They squeaked by Tennessee and LSU. (remember the bad call against LSU's Peterson?) It also took a major 4th qtr comeback to beat Auburn. This year they have to play @ Tennessee and @ LSU. You think they'll block 2 fg's again against Tennessee?

Basically, their margin for error this year will be smaller given points 1-4. Given #5 you'd have to think that they may lose several games.

One other note about their schedule. Instead of playing Kentucky like they did in 09... they play Florida in the regular season.

29. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Personally, I hope Bama and Texas go undefeated again.

Everyone else can go f**k themselves if it means GG and the Horns get a healthy shot at the Tide.

30. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

I agree with Mandingo. Revenge!

[​IMG]