Barbecued corned beef!

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by GemStateJim, Mar 4, 2011.

1. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

I have a question for all the backyard barbecuers/smokers out there:

I recently had a vision of barbecued corned beef brisket. Has this been done? Is it feasible?

I realize pastrami already brings the flavors of smoke and brine together in one meat, but pastrami lacks the succulent, over-the-top smokiness that traditional Texas barbecued brisket offers.

I also realize most corned beef briskets sold in groceries are not the entire brisket--they're either flats or points--but this still seems worth a try, especially with St. Patty's looming.

Thoughts? Opinions? Condemnations?

2. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

I've done it with aa store bought corned beef, the kind sitting in reddish brine with a packet of seasonings. It took a couple of tries, but my biggest suggestion is not to let the temp past 225. I just use the furthest section of my pit. It takes longer, but too much heat and the beef dries out QUICK

3. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, Son. Was it a flat or point? And, most importantly, how did it taste?

4. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

It's the flat. I'd love to try a point as that is where the meat is better marbled, but I have never seen a point like that. It would probably take care of a HUGE amount of the dryness issue

Taste wise, once I got it right, it was great. VERY different though so if you share it, warn people it isn't normal brisket!

5. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Corned beef points are on sale at Randall's for $1.99/lb.

Flats are $2.99/lb.

[​IMG]