Barkley on Horns

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by caryhorn, Mar 18, 2011.

1. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

just to pile on, wrt the media treatment, as CBS showed highlights of Oakland's comeback, they showed the last minute 3 point attempt by Oakland in dramatic fashion, slow-mo, and ....... it rimmed out. but the announcer made a big deal about the attempt calling it halfway down.

(don't remember seeing any other team getting the they should have, almost did lose point of view)

trying to implicate that if the shot had gone in Oakland would have won.

Coupling that miss with the unnecessary two points at the end that nobody saw, assuming that the four point loss was really four when it should have been 6.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla 25+ Posts

Neither of Barkley's comments -- "bad shots" and "playing on talent" -- applied to us yesterday. Hamilton still takes shots I question, but his percentage is not bad, which is the objective measure of these things. I really do think the Utah treatment in the offseason paid dividends for Barnes.

Bob Knight -- who's said plenty about this team I disagree with -- was more insightful when he said our guys stand around too much on O and bunch on one side of the court. I did notice that yesterday. But again -- we shot 58%. So no real complaints.

3. TXThorn

TXThorn Guest

Here's the deal with all that...BARKLEY LIVES IN ARIZONA. The other dude said it later in the broadcast. And was talking about Arizona is Brakley's favorite team in the tourney. He was looking for a reason to think his team could beat a highly touted squad like us. So he thought he found one in 'this team is winning on talent alone'... [​IMG] We were playing the 2nd best offensive scoring team in the country who likes to get up and down somewhet briskly and score. They were fast and talented so we had to match and beat them at their own game. If we were in a slow, half-court game against Wisconsin, you'd see a measured, technical Texas effort.

Charles was reaching for straws for his favorite team's sake. What he basically said was 'Texas is kicking their *** because they have better players' [​IMG] And guess what Sir Dumbass, come Sunday we will still have better players. And your team will trot out guys inferior to Oakland and that's truth. Charles can take has overrated Arizona team, it's sole (one point) Top25 win of the year, and get ready for a double digit loss. Arizona is nothing special, promise.

4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The idea that Charles Barkely can't watch a basketball game and determine the fundamental soundness of the teams is idiotic.

The need to challenge Barkley is rooted in an emotional attachment to the coaching staff....

5. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I am not at all emotionally attached to Barnes. Barkley's comments are applicable to the Horns in many cases. Yesterday was not at all one of those times. In the context of the Oakland game it was an extremely idiotic comment.

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"Barkley also said that Arizona, Memphis, and Texas were the most athletic teams he has seen this year."

Uni is correct. By the end of the game Barkely had decided Texas was a strong athletic team. I think the halftime comments are designed to create the attention they got in here, whether it is Fball halftime talking heads or Bball.

I used to get so pissed at some talking heads who seemed to be gleefully insulting Texas for the first parts of the games and then fall in love with them at the end until I realized they do it that way for all teams .

I put more stock in what actuall Coaches say and the Oakland coach who played a really salty schedule said he thinks Texas will play in Final Four. Of course now that I think about it That couldbe a way of saying his team came close to beating a Final Four team.

Nevermind, I will just watch the game and quit trying to out think TV people and other coaches

7. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Consider the Source. I know more about College Basketball than Charles Shut my Mouth Barkley [​IMG]

8. Trifecta

Trifecta 250+ Posts

Give him another drink and he won't think the Horns are turrible anymore.

9. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Barkley isn't on these shows to provide intelligent commentary. He's there to say stupid **** that's sometimes funny and to be the brunt of Kenny Smith's jokes.

10. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

We are good on, very good on defense.

Offensively, we have a bunch of good individual players. We are a poor Offensive TEAM.

Barkely and Smith are a big part of the reasons I don't watch the NBA shows and I can't stand this sideshow..

CBS very bad, worst year of coverage I have seen.

11. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

12. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

13. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Chuck Farles.

14. 4th_floor

15. 4th_floor

I previously had said that this team had collapsed and Barnes should be held accountable. I am happy to admit I was wrong. But we are not playing as well as we did in January. As long as we are winning - with apologies to Mr. Sheen - then it does not matter.