Barrett Confirmation Hearing

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Judge Amy Coney Barrett:

"Courts are not designed to solve every problem or right every wrong in our public life. The policy decisions and value judgements of government must be made by the political branches, elected by and accountable to the people."

Imagine that

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The nerve of that *****!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This supposedly happened today:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
  4. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Apparently so, I just saw this on another board and was about to post it

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

6. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I'm curious to see how the Republicans will treat future SCOTUS nominees from Democratic presidents. They better reciprocate this level of venom right back at them. It's time for scorched earth. We can't let Dems keep getting away with this crap every time.

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

They never do. This is the RINOs trying to be nice so "this time" they will get good and favorable coverage. But, it never happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  8. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I like how when Kamala made her prepared statement everything she said had just been debunked by the previous Republican senators. She is such a liar.

9. horninchicago

And she will get away with it and the RINOs will feign outrage and they will all laugh at us at their cocktail parties.

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Biden DID say that. He went on to say he ran for VP and now Presidency

11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the Ben Sasse opening segment, if anyone is interested

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. horninchicago

Before I watch, should I assume it is obviously the most basic concepts anyone should know but the MSM will ignore or flat out call him an idiot over?

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Probably, but someone needed to cover it

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mitch --

"There are four congressional leaders, I'm the only one not from California or New York"

16. horninchicago

Unfortunately, the Dems do believe all our rights are government granted and so religious beliefs are its business.

17. horninchicago

Good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. horninchicago

Plenty of fools who vote (D) and believe the Republicans are "stealing" a seat.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They are also saying if there are votes to pack the court, then that is equivalent to GOP winning elections and getting nominees approved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I read that Biden is/will be campaigning in Nevada and NH. Strange if he was winning.

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

She is handling herself very well even with the hostile Dems.

I will say her voice is not all that pleasant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. horninchicago

Guessing the woke liberal media will make fun of that.

23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Not sure. Likely sounds normal to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. horninchicago

Conservative woman.

25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Holy smokes! She has NO notes?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

These hearings, and the associated theater from leftist, is surprisingly muted. It's like the dog that didn't bark (spoiler - it didn't bark because the intruder was its owner).

The conventional wisdom was the a replacement of Ginsburg by a Republican president would be WWIII. Yet so far, there's been less drama than at the Kaughan hearings, which were pretty trivial in their overall effect on the court (replacing Kennedy with him).

That one right from the start had various Democrat Senators interrupting with stupid point of order demands that they needed the other 200,000 of the 700,000 document that had passed across Kaughan's desk during his time working for President Bush, and various protesters (given coveted audience seats by Democratic Senators) dramatically shouting from the audience and being led away.

I wonder why that is? Has not being able to stop Gorsuch or Kaughan led to a defeatist attitude? Supposedly the Democrats raised a huge pile of money after Ginsburg dies, so their base wants to fight.

Have the Democrats come to the conclusion that their foolishness last time didn't keep Kaughah off the bench, but it did fire up the Republicans such that instead of the usual Senate losses a President has, the R's gained two seats net, and took 4 seats away from sitting D senators who voted against him? Dangerous if true - it would mean that they are capable of learning and not just believing the media which will tell them that whatever they're doing, it's great!!

Do they think the election is in the bank, and once they get a Dem Senate with Slow Joe to drool over a court packing law, that having Barnett won't matter as they will just expand the SC to 11 or 13 or 53 seats, and be able to rule by decree from here on?

It's the play away from the ball that's often the more important aspect of a sport - here, it's the lack of dramatics that's more important than what some gasbag Democrat is reading off the cue cards their staff wrote for them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

And she has been speaking in GREAT detail even on things from years ago.
    I don't know how many times she can say she has not, does not and will not rule from personal opinion.
    Probably as many times as Trump has said any new health care law WILL protect existing conditions.

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

She is incredible for sure.
    And DD one reason it’s not as ugly is, right or wrong, she’s a woman. That limits just how ugly they can get (plus she’s incredibly competent). All they can do is put pressure on the potential ACA dissolution and show heart throbbing blow up photos. Graham needs to go balls to the wall and say we will NOT eliminate pre-conditions, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Possible, but hell hath no fury like a Democrat who's has someone run off the plantation.

No one in America gets called the n word more than C. Thomas. No one gets called the b word more than S Palin. No one gets called the f word more the R Grendal (sp), etc.

They would love to trash her, but as of yet, don't have even the thinnest of rational to be able to. Maybe they'll come up with some rubbish after she's done with her questioning, as they did with Kaughan, but that's already been done, was a total sham, and it's going to look like a tired re-play of a bad movie.

I think the Dems have to go through the motions - this is the end according to their base, so they'll ask stupid questions and make stupider remarks, try to hide in the Senate kitchen to deny a quorum, claim they can't possibly attend a vote due to the Wuhan virus (while holding a fund raiser that very day), but have resigned themselves to the fact they win this, and are just trying to tie Barrent into some idea that the Republicans are going to take your health insurance away, if not your heath care as well, so vote leftist in a few weeks.

It will be interesting if such a half-hearted attempt is accepted by the Harpie base of over-educated (with joke degrees in English or Social Studies) whitey women. Behind the scenes the elected ones are going to have to tell the NOW's and other groups to not make waves in public, stay on board, and they'll fix it all next year when they have total power.

30. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I think the dems know this nominee will be placed, nothing they can do. The high drama comes after she's passed the vote. Dems will claim trump "packed" the court, go balls to the wall with it until election day

They think this will give them cover for the question they refuse to answer. Questionable strategy

• Agree Agree x 1