Basic Firearm for Home Protection?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by WooHorn, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

2. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Please also consider death rates by washing machines, please. Thank you.

3. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Actually bathtubs are real killers.

4. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

5. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

6. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

brntorng, if you go back and read the responses, I think you'll see that people aren't arguing with you about the need for gun safety and training, especially where children are involved.

If you make an absolute argument without numbers to back it up and attempt to define what is appropriate for people you've never met, they're going to get defensive. There is no such thing as eliminating all risk, and innocent children often suffer in myriad ways whether or not there's a gun in they're home.

As a kid I took one of my dad's blood pressure tablets. Thankfully it was a half dose, or I might have been just as dead as if I'd not been properly trained in safety around his guns. I once nearly killed my brother by blowing up a Dr. Pepper bottle with a rock.

Deciding what to secure and how to secure it is a personal decision, hopefully made after education and careful consideration. I'm much more insistent about locking up my guns now that I have a young daughter, but as she grows older I may someday have one out in the open again. But it won't be a decision I make lightly.

7. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

This isn't about numbers. We all know of cases when armed homeowners successfully defended themselves. And we all know of cases when innocent children tragically killed themselves or someone else with an unsecured gun. And in some of those cases the gun owner was trained and reasonably responsible. I could take the time to find and list cases, but you all know it happens. Unfortunately, all it takes is one oversight and the coroner is at your door. Obviously, people will do what they want to do for their own personal situation and that's fine. All I'm suggesting is that people step back, rationally analyze their options and assess the potential risk/reward of those options including the risk of an accidental oversight. In my case, a security system, a dog, good lighting, and nonlethal personal protection have served me well. I suspect that's the case for most homeowners. I've had an attempted daytime break-in when I was gone and the alarm and dog did their job. I've never had a situation when I wish I'd had a gun within reach and I've never had to worry about one of my kids finding a loaded gun because mine are properly secured.

8. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

9. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

10. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

For the OP, I think a combination of the shotgun and small handgun, like in ScoPro's post, is the best bet.

ScoPro, I looked at that very handgun last week. Do you carry it outside the home? If so, how do you carry it...shoulder, hip, leg holster? Something else? I really liked the idea of the shaved trigger versus the completely hidden one.

Also, that isn't the really, really light version is it? Can't remember the names..one is a airweight and the other a featherweight? They make a .357 in the lightest version that is kickass, but damn has it gotten expensive in the last 2 years.

11. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

12. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

13. live&die40acres

live&die40acres 100+ Posts

All the arguing aside- coming from a law enforcement officer, (and therefore someone who will always have to have a gun in the house) and the father of a 6 month old, I can say this. I've seen accidental discharges from people cleaning what they thought was an unloaded weapon. I've seen kids find Dad's hunting rifle. I've even seen people attempt to kill themselves with a shotgun to the face... and fail. All these cases have one thing in common: owner irresponsibility. Gun safety is your responsibility.
    Go to a range and rent a few types of weapons and put some rounds through them. (If you're serious about purchasing from that store, they may even comp the rentals...) But don't listen to advertising or the guy down the street who SWEARS by Glock, Sig, or some other 'brand name.' Buy what is COMFORTABLE for you- something you know you'll be able to use under stress- a skill attained only through practice. And for God's sake, keep it somewhere where your child (or any of your child's friends) absolutely can not get to it! No such thing as an 'accidental discharge". Guns fire because someone pulls the trigger. Just make sure that someone isn't your child.
    All the best.

14. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

My recently acquired HD shotgun. Remington 870 police magnum with extended magazine (6+1). 18" barrel, walnut stock. I keep the magazine loaded with Remington 00 buckshot and the chamber empty. I want to be able to cycle it to ready and give the bad guy a chance to reconsider exactly how much he values his life. I really love this shotgun, but want to pick up a cheap 870 to go all tactical with (knoxx specops stock, railed foreend with a light mounted).

I also keep an XD45 loaded with 185gr CorBon JHP in the nightstand. It goes in the safe before any children come into the house. Will have to get one of those quick access safes and find a place to secure it to in the next year, with a baby on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

16. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

17. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

So Anastasis, how do you like that XD45? I already have a SA GI 45, but wouldn't mind having a hi-cap .45 too.

If somebody is uncomfortable with the thought of a handgun, go to Red's Indoor Gunrange and rent a couple to shoot. Start with a .22, then at least a .38 special.

On the pistol grips (in lieu of a shoulder stock) I agree. Unless you're Rambo, I wouldn't use one. Put one on my Win. Defender and it kicked like Pam Anderson in heat.

18. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

And gave you hepatitis to boot.

19. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

20. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

21. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

22. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

23. The Over Cusser

The Over Cusser 100+ Posts

I recently purchased a Glock 23 (.40 Cal) with the Crimson Trace grip for our new home. We live in a safe neighborhood but in todays world you never know. I am looking to get my CHL in the next few months.

24. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

25. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

26. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Try these studies/polls:

The Link

Including Kleck's more recent study, estimates for self defense use of a firearm have numbered between roughly 750,000 to 2 million times per year.

Now less than 150 kids per year are accidentally killed at home by careless handling of a firearm - don't know how many just wounded - so it appears pretty plain the stats show the claim that children are more likely to be killed or injured by their family gun than used to defend said home/family is indeed a myth.

27. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I guess I was wrong. Only 150 kids accidentally shot and killed a year? That's like only 10 Little League teams wiped out annually. I would assume there are just several hundred more with various injuries who survived being shot. Sounds like a small price to pay to protect your home rather than relying on safe and effective alternatives.

28. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

29. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Actually, my number (150) of accidental child gun deaths was incorrect. The latest figure I could find was 63 in 2004....which is down by about 89% from 1975.

Anyway, little kids are several times more likely to drown in the home bath tub or many times more likely to be murdered by their parent/family member than they are to be accidentally killed by careless use of a firearm.

Not to mention the 414 children under the age of 14 who were killed by drunk drivers in 2005....

...just so people can have a drink.

30. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

"I see that you have studies that refute my arguement. What else you got? .....that's what I thought. Looks like I win."