Beat Duke!!!!

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Fievel121, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

At least we didn' suck like aggie.

2. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Texas will be better next year and this game will help them get better. [​IMG]

3. Chult86

Chult86 100+ Posts

4. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

The better free throw shooting team won.

5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Fitting that Connor misses his last shot. He missed his entire Sr. year. What a shame. I really feel for him. Also for Dex as he's thinking he would have had that rebound.

6. Mr. Longhorn

Mr. Longhorn 250+ Posts

NOVA's guards will destroy Duke. If we had figured out the Varez play earlier, then it might have worked out differently. We exposed that tonight and NOVA took notice.

f**k Duke.

7. updog07

updog07 500+ Posts

who the f**k makes those kind of calls late in the game like that. call me a homer all you want, zebras ****** us real hard. yeah, lets make our FT's and we win... But what ref calls over the back on damion when you cant even see him from where you were standing.

Texas is better than Duke. No one will change my mind. Our guys played a hell of a game.. and for those who didnt watch our team because we werent top 25 all year.. you missed out on some great basketball reguardless what you read on these boards. We have great players coming back next year, and with the ones coming in we will be a force to be challenged.

HOOK EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Mr. Longhorn

Mr. Longhorn 250+ Posts

9. ToxicShock

ToxicShock 100+ Posts

You people who are glad that this season is over suck. This team fought hard and made me proud tonight. They got some tough breaks and barely missed some shots at the end of this game but stood toe-to-toe with the ACC champ and #2 seed on essentially their home court. It sucks this season is over, I wish I could watch this team for another 2 weeks. I'm so sick of hearing how most of you think this team sucks! They showed a lot of heart tonight. Varez grew up tonight and will be straight bad-*** next year. No reason he doesn't start next season with Hamilton, Bradley, James and Pittman.

Great game tonight guys.

10. where_are_my_8s

where_are_my_8s 250+ Posts

This may be my first basketball post ever but if Balbay can't produce more on offense he doesn't need to play near that many minutes. At the end Duke double-teamed Ward with his man because there was no way he was going to score. He didn't even have an assist the entire game.

11. Chult86

Chult86 100+ Posts

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Great effort does not equate to great basketball. This team has been fundamentally impaired all season and it cost them tonight. I am very proud of them though.

13. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

14. crazyquiverlips

crazyquiverlips 100+ Posts

Hate, I think next time the referees should just come out in Duke jerseys, to at least not insult us with the pretense that they are somehow neutral. I was less offended by the officiating in Wrestlemania XII when Rowdy Roddy Piper hit the Ultimate Warrior with a baseball bat while the referee pretended to be telling the British Bulldogs to stay off the apron.

15. The Greatest

The Greatest 500+ Posts

that was definitely a weak *** call against james on the loose ball foul. considering they usually allow anything short of 1st degree murder at the end of these games, even the johnson foul was weak. it was a foul and stupid play by johnson, but somehow i think henderson shoving ward doesn't get called.

what a ridiculous final minute. we're within 2, so james launches a covered 3. and then it barely rims out anyway. then james gets a ridiculous call. then we're down 3 and AJ can't get a clean look so he panics and shoots a running one hander from 18 feet, but just when it looks like we tipped it in, it magically rolls off. then it looks like it's out on duke, then duke makes a miraculous save but then it looks like we'll get it anyway down 3 until johnson adds one more bad play to his night and shoves the guy. and then to add the final insult, we let one guy get a rebound over 4 guys because atchley i think gets dominated on the box out and then 2 guys still get their hands on it and let it slip away. about as frustrating a final minute as you could script.

16. Goothrey

Goothrey 100+ Posts

Obvious foul on Johnson. But where is the outrage for the foul on James?!?!?!?! Dukes players were clearly over the back pushing their way in for the rebound and james gets the call!?!?!?!?! [​IMG]

17. ToxicShock

ToxicShock 100+ Posts

Chult, why don't you go root for UNC, UConn or Duke. Just because we're not a top 5 seed you'd rather not play at all? That's some stupid reasoning.

18. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Outrage? I'll give you outrage. We just got blatantly cheated by a pack of pathetic money launderers who's checks from the NCAA are signed off on by Puke? They should all be banned for the rest of the year. Barnes should call for an investigation pronto, it's essentially proof that the NCAA is jaded--though we already knew that.

19. Chult86

Chult86 100+ Posts

I'm happy to get to watch the team whenever I can. I live in ME, not exactly a lot of southern sports teams shown up here, but I get every damn one of BC's games [​IMG]

I would just like to not see our team play one of the worst fundamental games I have ever seen, especially during the R32 [​IMG]

20. Goothrey

Goothrey 100+ Posts

I'm happy considering the past the meetings with Duke.

Texas played better with less talent. [​IMG]

21. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Who the hell is SOOO talented for Puke? I'll give you Henderson. Singler is a tall, slow white guy with a J. Scheyer has zero talent. Elliot Williams is an overrated defender who can't shoot. Paulus sucks. Lance Thomas is awful. Zoubek...there are no words for how bad he is. Nolan Smith is okay, but he's hardly an all-world player coming off the bench.

Henderson is absurd and Singler is pretty good.

We, on the other hand, have an unlimited talent in James and a talented scorer in AJ. Dexter has all the talent in the world if he would give a f**k about the game and play hard. It's less about talent than what you get out of it, and Duke gets as much as you can.

22. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Well, I've just been selected to win like a thousand iPhones, Wiis and laptops tonight, so it's not a total loss.

23. Goothrey

Goothrey 100+ Posts

GoHornsGo90 I dont know if you were referring to my" texas played better with less talent". If so, I was referring to Texas past teams like when they had gibson, aldridge, and tucker and lost by 30+.

24. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Ah, I was. Thank you and sorry. Yeah, that's a good point in that case. Those Duke teams were 5x better though as well, but I agree with you...

25. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

I really don't know why people are complaing about the refs. Duke had 3 or 4 guys foul out. We just refused to take care of the ball and couldn't hit free throws til the end of the game.

The most obvious series of bad calls/non calls in the game was when either David McClure or Zoubeck had a clear lane violation when Dexter missed a freethrow and then on the ensuing play they called Dex for a foul that obviously should've been Abrams. Outside of that and the 2 early charges against James and Balby the game was relatively well officiated. If anything it was over officiated.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The most obvious missed calls that hurt us were:

-Phantom offensive foul on Atchley at the end of the 1st half.
    -AJ's foul given as Pittman's #4 instead (how do you confuse these two guys??)
    -Damion James clearly did not foul on that late rebound

However, there were also a couple of times near the end where we very well could have been called for a charge and the refs let it go. And what really killed us were some careless and/or dumb decisions at the end.

-Ward steps on the 3-point line and costs us a point.
    -James shoots a 3 with a man in his face. There was plenty of time but you would have thought the clock was at 0:01.
    -Johnson needlessly pushes a guy when he could have secured the loose ball.
    -Abrams takes an off-balance 18-foot shot with 20 seconds left when we're down by 3.
    -Barnes leaves Pittman on the bench after he gets over his eye-poke, and we give up a key pair of offensive rebounds.

27. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

We don't get calls because we haven't earned the benefit of the doubt (whatever qualifies us for the benefit of the doubt).

We have to win it all at some point.

You have to score off the dribble right now in the NCAA.

Great effort by the guys. They played well.