Beaujolais nouveau

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by numbereleven, Nov 15, 2007.

1. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

It's out today, kids. So take off your wine aesthete hats and go buy a cheap, fun bottle of nouveau. Chill that sucker. Drink it down. Remember, six weeks ago, it was just grapes.

Twin Liquors, eight bucks.

2. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

picked up a case at the Costco last night.

3. gsoda3

gsoda3 250+ Posts

so it's good?

4. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Yeah, it's good this year. Very fruity and floral as usual. Almost no tannins, as close to a white as a red/rose can get.

Understand, I'm big on big wines. The more tannins and bite, the merrier. Cabs and Zins, old vines, that kind of stuff. But I've always liked the nouveau for a change of pace each November/December. You buy it, drink it quick, and it's gone.

Ees for fun.

5. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

while we are talking reds, I give you the following meritage that i am hooked on right now.
    The Link

6. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Here's a great, inexpensive old vine Zinfandel. You can get it for less than $10 just about anywhere, and sometimes you can find it for under $9. It's a spicy, peppery red without much subtlety. I believe it came in second out of 16 Zins at Grapevine Market's "Friday Night Flights", which is where I first tasted it:

[​IMG]

7. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

I tried it. It's really nice. Can't say much else about it since I'm an idiot at wine. It was $8 at costco, and $10 everywhere else I saw it.

8. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

hell yeah, thanks for the reminder. I've gotta remember to pick up a case of nouveau at Trader Joe's after work. Nothing says Titans-Broncos like BN [​IMG]

Well, not really, but its my Bday, VY on MNF, short week at work, Aggy week, and turkey day ... which equals a great GREAT ******* week of life!

I've been on a red tear lately with Malbec, Chianti, and Sangiovese.

9. clandestine

clandestine 25+ Posts

Duboeuf's is on for $8 and change at Goody Goody in Dallas. That's the best price I have seen yet.

10. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

someone please locate ravenswood icon in the austin area and tell me where i can get some of it.

kthxbai.

11. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Many years ago I gave a bottle of the Nouveau to a friend when he hosted a dinner party. We didn't drink it that night as he already had plenty of other drinks ready to go.

A couple of years later, I was looking through his wine rack and saw that same bottle of Nouveau. I shuddered...

Anyway, I picked up several bottles earlier today and will pound them throughout the week, especially after we mud-hole the Aggies on T+1.

12. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

Yuck. Beaujolais nouveau is french for white zinfandel. You want some chilled red with your turkey, that's fine, find some Rubaiyat.

13. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

BN is nothing like white zin.

i also do not chill mine. is that wrong?

14. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

To each their own. They say it is best slightly chilled. I like mine fridge cold. We drank some yesterday at room temp.

I'll have to try the Gnarly Head recommendation. I usually avoid cutesy labels, but I'm confident in y'all.

15. rage-a-holic

rage-a-holic 250+ Posts

16. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

gnarly head is badass...and cheap.

17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Gnarly Head is not a cutesy label. It's good juice.

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

If you like Beaujolais Nouveau, then you would love MALBEC. The good bottles you buy are anywhere from 2006 to 2004. A pretty good bottle costs about US$4-US$6 and it is fruity, but not (very) sweet, and usually has virtually no tanins.

Argentine wine is really good and the price is really, really cheap.

19. huge

huge 250+ Posts

we chilled up 2 bottles for our friends thanksgiving get together on sunday

good, cheap, and yes, chill it a little.

20. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

Seems a little sour this year.

21. clandestine

clandestine 25+ Posts

Yep. I finally got around to tasting this year's version and was thoroughly underwhelmed. It was bland and bitter. Oh well, what can you expect?

22. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

23. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

a good bottle of SA Malbec will be a hell of a lot more than $4.

I really like Spanish wines, but they can be huge at times.

24. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts