Best Chips and Salsa?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by hornian, May 1, 2003.

1. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Where's the best chips and salsa to be had at a restaurant in Austin? I'm getting back to A-town next week after being in DC since January, and I'm craving them something awful. Suggestions?

2. Will Monk

Will Monk 100+ Posts

I ******* can't get enough of El Arroyo's chips and salsa. The rest of their food is decent, but there is something about their salsa.

3. RaizerAlum

RaizerAlum 100+ Posts

I've always been a fan of Hula Hut's salsa. A little different, but damn good.

4. Murfdogg21

Murfdogg21 25+ Posts

Maudies. El Arroyo is ok, salsa is a little watered down. Most people don't notice because they are busy slamming $1 margaritas!

Ninfa's green sauce kicks ***.

5. Clever Username

Clever Username 100+ Posts

El Azteca, hands down. Maudie's and Chuys are bot pretty good, too. And although it pains me to say it, some of the best salsa is at On the Border, but I'm not sure there's one here anymore.

6. Texas Horn

Texas Horn 250+ Posts

Dario's. The shizznit.

7. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

Maudie's and Hula Hut's chunky salsa.

8. JackieMartling

JackieMartling 100+ Posts

Trudy's. Oustanding ****.

9. weneedricky1654

weneedricky1654 < 25 Posts

I second Trudy's. They have changed up their salsa as of late. The chips aren't too greasy either. Oh yeah, and they have lots of drink to accompany the condiments.

10. 1899horn

1899horn 500+ Posts

The best I have ever had were at (and I am not kidding, I'm a mexican) Cafe Pacifico in paris. France, not Texas.

11. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

Fonda San Miguel far and away. The chipotle salsa they do is incredible.

12. Professor Booty

Professor Booty < 25 Posts

I was at El Azteca the other day and they had a green salsa that was really good. chips, ok.

13. orangedragon

orangedragon < 25 Posts

14. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

You want something HOT, go to Shady Grove. I don't know if it's always like that, but I went for the first time about a month ago and I had to stop eating it it was so hot.

My favorite is Hula Hut's though. I like the chunky salsa myself. Damn, now I'm hungry.[​IMG]

15. MulletHorn

MulletHorn 100+ Posts

Maudies, then Ninfa's Green sauce

16. Clever Username

Clever Username 100+ Posts

orangedragon,

That post is egregious, outragious, preposterous. (It's spelled "Chili's") [​IMG]

17. D_Wreck11

D_Wreck11 250+ Posts

La Fonda San Miguel has some good sauce, and great margs.

18. NameAlreadyInUse

NameAlreadyInUse 500+ Posts

Habamero Cafe has not only the best salsa but the best enchiladas soo. Chips are nothing special though.

19. HookEmDave

HookEmDave < 25 Posts

Being objective, I would say On The Border (no locations in Austin) and Chili's actually have some of the best around. Sorry.

For more acceptable responses I would say Hula Hut is pretty good, but Trudy's is too hot for my taste and their chips are very plain. El Dorado Bar & Grill is good.

20. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

21. orangedragon

orangedragon < 25 Posts

oops! Chili's[​IMG]

22. GET UR HORN's UP

GET UR HORN's UP < 25 Posts

enchiladas e mas.. on Anderson lane. great mexican food..... and the salsa is hard to beat..

23. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

Aussie's volleybar, but if you don't get the sausage queso, you're REALLY missing out!!![​IMG]

24. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

Z Tejas has some of the best Salsa I've had recently.

If you are expanding your dip selection beyond just Salsa, you can't beat Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno sauce. That stuff is habit forming.

25. Hornmatic

Hornmatic 100+ Posts

26. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Guero's red salsa is pretty damn good.

27. TexasTexas

TexasTexas < 25 Posts

Jaime's !! Good and HOT.

28. Will Monk

Will Monk 100+ Posts

I concur on Jaime's. It is the only restaurant salsa that is hot enough for me, and I don't mean temperature-hot ( [​IMG] ).

29. 98HornGirl

98HornGirl 25+ Posts

One little known neighborhood place that has the absolutely freshest salsa with perfect heat is Mesa Rosa on Anderson Mill between 183 and 620. Mmmm....slow, yummy, burning lips..mmmm.

30. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

el gallo, any day of the week