Best Scream in a Rock Song?

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by FAST FRED, Oct 20, 2011.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

Some of my favorite screaming vocalizations in rock are:

Of course, Roger Daltrey's in "We Won't Get Fooled Again."

James Brown in multiple songs such as "Night Train," "Get on the Good Foot" or "I Feel Good," which is actually entitled "I Got You."

Axl Rose in "Welcome to the Jungle."

Steven Tyler in "Dream On."

Prince has some good ones, can't remember which songs. Maybe "P*ssy Control???"

AC/DC has had a couple of really good screamers as singers.

When that Righteous Brother, the late Bobby Hatfield , goes stratospheric in falsetto singing "I need your love" at the climax of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

The Beatles collectively in "Twist and Shout."

Paul McCartney individually in "Revolution."

When Jim Morrison screamingly blasts open the door about his Oedipus complex or whatever in "The End."

Little Richard screaming "Woooo" in "Jenny, Jenny, Jenny" and other songs.

Joe Cocker in "(I Get By) With A Little Help from My Friends."

Tom Petty on "I Need to Know." That scream could break your heart.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins on his original of "I Put a Spell on You." They didn't call him that without good reason. John Fogerty with Creedence Clearwater Revival has a decent cover.

Mitch Ryder has some good screams in his body of work.

And so does Robert Plant.

And Wayne Cochran, too.

And Kurt Cobain.

And Roky Erickson.

[​IMG]

Not a scream, but I think Buddy Holly's hiccuping vocal intro that turns the single word "well" into a six syllable count off to start "Rave On" is memorable and it deserves a mention.

[​IMG]

On the distaff side, I can't think of nearly as many good female screams, since Yoko Ono seriously doesn't seriously count as a serious vocalist. Seriously.

I guess my favorite girly scream is by Merry Clayton while she's duetting with Rolling Stone Mick Jagger on "Gimme Shelter."

Then there's that girl who screams during The Ohio Players' "Love Rollercoaster."

And the female vocalist on Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig in the Sky."

I guess the very, very, very best and most memorable scream for me by a female vocalist is given out by Janis Joplin in "Piece of My Heart."

Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Had to skim thru bur is The Clash on there with Rock the Casbah?

3. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Rob Halford's vocal razor slices through any Judas Priest track. "Screaming for Vengeance" shreds ear drums.

"Runnin' With the Devil" showcases David Lee Roth's guttural screams.

Last, but not least, one cannot forget Geddy Lee's earlier body of work. Although he's mellowed with time, "The Temples of Syrinx" on 2112 is a vocal chord tour de force.

4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

You mentioned Paul McCartney, but you left off the end of Hey Jude!

5. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

6. HammerOfTheHorns

HammerOfTheHorns 100+ Posts

Tom Araya during the "Angel of Death" intro is one for the ages as well. [​IMG]

7. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Some very good ones listed. I would also add Ian Gillan of Deep Purple on "Child in Time".

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Fifty thousand teenage girls attending a Beatles concert in 1965?
    Really, Roger Daltry came to mind upon reading the thread title. It may have something to do with the fact I saw him perform Tommy a week ago in Cedar Park. They didn't do Won't Get Fooled Again, though, or My Generation. Of course, singing "I hope I die before I get old," when you are over 60 may be the reason for the omission.
    The show was really good, though, I was surprised, not knowing what to expect.

9. darius

darius 500+ Posts

The woman at the end of Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night." (Britt Ekland, Stewart's girlfriend at the time)

10. converse

converse 250+ Posts

I'd say it is John Cowan with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones at the end of Oh Darling (album = Live Art Volume 2). If you haven't heard this, it is amazing.

Also, Bjork in Delicious Demons off one of the Sugarcubes albums. I know she's a bit of a nut, but that was a kick-*** album.

11. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

12. LongJohn

LongJohn 100+ Posts

Nazareth in "Love Hurts", particularly the live version. Dude's about to blow a trachea but no doubt about the emotion in the song!

13. balter

balter 100+ Posts

I think Dave Grohl does some pretty great screaming

14. freyguy

freyguy 250+ Posts

Queensryche, "Queen of the Reich".

I win.

15. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

What about the poor woman who you can hear screaming while being murdered somewhere in the studio during the recording of "Love Rollercoaster" by the Ohio Players? No love for her?. [​IMG]

16. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

The one right before Lennon starts singing "You say you wanna revolution, well you know ...."

17. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

Bruce Dickinson in Number of the Beast.

18. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

19. hooklahoma

hooklahoma 1,000+ Posts

honourable mention to geddy lee on 2112

20. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

In the high note category: Steelheart - I'll Never Let You Go
    The Link

Pretty much the whole song, but the crescendo peaks starting at 3:00.

21. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

Jon Bon Jovi in I'll Be There For You

22. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

"See you in Hell" by Grim Reaper

23. GRhino

GRhino 250+ Posts

24. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

25. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts