Best wings in Austin?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Diamondback, Mar 5, 2004.

1. crl826

crl826 < 25 Posts

I have heard about Billy's on Burnet. Anyone else know anything?

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Since this thread was up and running I have eaten at Wing Stop. I adore the garlic parmesan wings and crave them often.

BW3 is no more and is now called, Daddy's. The last time I was there the food quality, at least the wing quality, was lacking. I will go back to see if they get a fork put in 'em as they would be done in my book. I want to support them as they are a local business trying to make it on Sixth St. They have a **** ton of tv's all HD so that is nice.

3. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

What's the deal with BW3/Daddy's anyway? There are still Buffalo Wild Wings in other cities? What happened to the one in Austin?

As for wings, BW3 gets my vote. Especially on Tuesdays.

4. crl826

crl826 < 25 Posts

I kept looking for stuff and put this together

Pluckers
    Pretty good wings, okay sports bar...5 locations in the north and south. Trivia every Wednesday. They also deliver late. 2 during the week and 3 on the weekends.

Wings 'N More
    1200 W Howard Ln
    512-989-6673

Wings Zone
    907 W 24th St
    512-370-2473
    This place has been a life saver after a night out. They deliver late. 2 on weekdays and 3 on weekends.

Wings To Go
    6611 S Mo Pac Expy
    512-899-9464

Wingstop
    4 locations throughout town

Best Wings in Austin

5. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Pluckers, trust me.

6. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

cajun wings at shoal creek saloon

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Daddy's, as it is known now, did not want to be a franchise any longer. So they severed ties. That is what I have come to understand. They kept some of the items that were not BW3 corporate things. Certain sauces and items were so they are not offered any longer.

I too like BW3 wings, esp. the Lemon/Garlic sauce.

8. bigg78

bigg78 25+ Posts

My favorite wings in Austin:

- Wings n More: garlic hot variety. I never thought I would say I liked an Aggie establishment more than Pluckers, but just on wings alone I give it to them.

- Pluckers: their menu is my favorite and the wings are delicious.

- Chili's: Yes, you heard me right. I love their original Buffalo wings

Wingstop: good, not great.

- Hooters: I actually like the naked wings there. And their Phillycheesteak and Buffalo chicken sandwich are the ****.

9. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Is there a more overrated snack food than wings ?

I don't get it myself.
    Yeah they are allright but way too much trouble and mess for so little food.

10. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

11. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Wow, look at some of the names on this thread.

12. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Napkin? What the hell is a napkin for? You lick your damned fingers and lips. Smack, smackity smack. I bet you eat a Snicikers with a fork and knife, don't you?

Ribs suck because they get your hands dirty!

A reason I like wings is because I can wear a shirt I don't plan on leaving with it clean. If I need to justify using a shirt as a cleaning rag I go eat wings. I have a lot of cleaning rags.

14. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Another reason I don't like wings and wing places....

Listening to the pigs smacking and slurping on their fingers. That is disgusting.

15. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

I can see your point about how wings are a pain in the *** to eat. What this thread should REALLY be discussing then, is the best wing SAUCE in Austin. That covers wing-lovers and those who prefer chicken tenders.

16. hook1997

hook1997 25+ Posts

Pluckers lemon pepper wings, was hesitant at first but after trying them they are my favorite.

17. Double J

Double J 25+ Posts

Since BW3s is back in the Cedar Park area...I go with them then Pluckers...I just think Hooters wings are different and there flavors are boring...and I like BW3s extras...

18. nych 1

nych 1 250+ Posts

My friend just did the 25 Fire in the Hole challenge this weekend. I think he stated that "I am in hell" on wing 4. One of the more impressive things I have witnessed. To suck up the intestinal fortitude to achieve a goal when you have hit the wall at wing #4 is awesome. I think I would rather try to run 100 miles (the longest I've done is 26.2) than eat 25 of those wings.

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I would assume your taste buds go dead after 4 or 5. However, your intestines and exit portal do not. He regretted it a few hours later, maybe even still does.

20. EllCee

EllCee 100+ Posts

I watched a friend of mine do 50 fire in the hole at Pluckers. He was literally just about incoherent after 20 or so. Whatever chemicals all that hot released had made him lose brain function. Couldn't even put together a sentence after 50. Was pretty crazy/funny - but he did it.

21. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

22. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I haven't been to Wings N More in a while. Been to the one in Austin a couple of times, the one in SA many times and the one in College Station at least once. I have always thought they should call it Wings n Wings b/c their "more" is pretty bad. I had their wings & ribs plate once and it was not good at all.

I would give Pluckers 2 points over Wings N More for 1) they have more different flavors. If you have wings rarely, then Wings N More is good b/c you just want buffalo sauce. But if you go fairly regularly, you want some different sauces and Pluckers has that. 2) Pluckers has much bigger wings. The wings at Wings N More are standard wing sizes but Pluckers are considerably bigger.

23. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

The wings at Shady Grove are freakin' awesome...

24. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

Angel's out on 71 toward Spicewood.

foods that require more effort for less:

Crab legs
    Craw fish

25. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

I know the Bahama Breeze does not exist in Austin anymore. A crime in the highest proportion in my opinion, but that is for a different thread. But if you are ever in a city that has one, try their Habanero Hot Wings. By far the best I have ever had. While they have a good kick to them, they are not what you would consider habanero hot. And an absolutely wonderful peppery flavor.

Locally? All the usual suspects are listed. I like Pluckers for the most part but let me make a suggestion you might not have normally considered. Next time you are at Sam's Boat, try their wings. Me thinks you will be pleasantly surprised.

26. BigLeonard

BigLeonard 100+ Posts

Crab tastes much, much better so the payoff is there in that case.

27. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

ok, pluckers are good... we tried the hottest ones besides fire in the hole, and i didnt think they were hot AT ALL..... so maybe next time i'm there i'll try the fire int he hole.

shady groves wings do indeed kick ***. serious ***.

i live right down the road from WINGS TO GO on william cannon and MO PAC. i actually LOVE this place.
    tuesdays is half priced boneless wings night, AND EVERY DAY $1.50 beer special. used to be $1 beer but they just raised the price 50 cents. ooh well it's still worth it. try it out....buffalo garlic/bar-b-cide flavors... but i always get honey mustard and sweet n sour for some reason. haha