Big 12 Championship and another bite at the OU apple

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ronich, Oct 10, 2021.

1. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

Normally I shy away from these rah rah posts, but I know how demoralizing losing to OU/losing games like this to anyone can be.

This is Sark’s first year, he still has a lot of lessons to learn and professional growth in front of him this season.

Before the season I believed we would finish 9-3 or 8-4, which is possible at this point.

My loss predictions: Arkansas, TCU, OU, and if there was another at Iowa St. or WV.

We will definitely lose another regular season game, of this I have no doubt, but I also think we will end up playing OU in the final Big 12 championship game for us (no doubt we buy out of the B12 and start SEC play in 2022).

How we respond to this loss will tell us about Sark’s leadership and coaching abilities.

That said, if we respond how I think we will, we get another shot at OU thIs season in the B12 CS; and we not only win, but knock them out of the playoff picture as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If we win the next 3 games, we are likely in even if we lose one more game. It helps that our next game is at home against a good team. We play much better at home.

yes, it would be sweet revenge to win the conference after this gut kick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Well, we we came out with our hair on fire and probably should have beat the #6 team in the nation.
    Imagine if we were ranked #1 and lost to an unranked aggy team. :D

As Mack used to say after OU blowouts (which this was not) "we still have our goals in front of us".
    We were not going to play for a natty this year.
    We still can play for a conference title.
    And that would be pretty amazing to achieve during Sarks first year.

The team played well yet ran out of gas and the superior team scratched out a win.
    It's over.
    On to a win over the mullet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Sadly, I think OU will be better in the CCG as Williams will have more experience. We'll still suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

Probably the thing I hated most about the recent Big 12 is that we would have to beat OU twice in a season. It’s tough to beat any good team twice a a season but your toughest rival? Near impossible.

It was palpable at the game yesterday the momentum shift when OU brought in their freshman phenom. We still should have won (taking it out of the end zone and giving it away was as bad as Gideon’s dropped pick) and they definitely outplayed us in the second half. But we won the first half, and nearly held on.

I feel like our offensive line is held together with duct tape at this point and that we’re playing better than we should so I’m really proud of our team.

Hopefully we hold up as the season progresses :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It really depends on how we fare after this loss.

7. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Defense will definitely have to step up and make plays for any more victories to take place.
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
    Longhorn defense is broke and I didn’t see anything in yesterday’s second half to make me think differently.
    Texas dropped the ball in sending a big time message to not only the land thieves, but to the rest of the conference and college football.

8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

So Texas should be hiring coaches that still have a lot of lessons to learn?? Imagine if anyone had ever said that about DKR, or even Fred Akers.

We're Texas, not UTEP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hahaha, well UTEP is 5-1 this year. I’m sure they’re fans are quite happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

This week will be a real challenge. Our floor on defense is lower than our ceiling is high and we need more horses. Hard to beat the same team twice but we have to get there first. Very interested to see how these young men come out next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

I literally know several 65ish (years old), ex military leaders (read experienced), who are double Ivy League (undergrad and masters or MBA/JD) (read smart) CEOs, who not only strive to learn and get better every day, but make it a mandate.

You are a fool if you think, just because Bama, Michigan, Texas, Goldman Sachs, The CIA, Apple or any other complex high stakes organization hires someone to lead they have nothing left to learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Big difference between this:

“This is Sark’s first year, he still has a lot of lessons to learn and professional growth in front of him this season.”

And this:

“…hires someone to lead they have nothing left to learn.”

I don’t think anyone is saying that Sark has nothing left to learn.

13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

A person who thinks lot of lessons to learn about there area of expertise and nothing left to learn are equivalent is not a very smart person. Why don't you put words in my mouth again??