Big 12 Tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by loyallonghorn, Mar 3, 2022.

1. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I'm glad someone took the time to break down all the scenarios for each Big 12 team. I added the opponents for the Texas scenario.

Texas:
    Second with win at home against Oklahoma State and Iowa State loss at West Virginia.
    Third with Iowa State win at West Virginia and OU loss at home against Kansas.
    Fourth with Iowa State win and OU win.
    Fourth with home loss to Oklahoma State and Iowa State loss at West Virginia.

Given that Texas has defeated Iowa State twice, and split with Oklahoma, I'd much rather Texas end up #2 or #3 seed to avoid Baylor in the semifinals.

What are the seed scenarios for the 2022 Big 12 women's basketball tournament?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Looking promising, Kansas up at Oklahoma with one more quarter remaining on Bally Sports (formerly Fox Sports regional).

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

KU wins.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was not sure Kansas could pull it off today! That's great news for us as we are assured of at worst, the #3 seed! If ISU loses at WVU today, we move up to the #2 seed.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Sure did not want that 4 seed for several reasons. Thanks KU!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Most likely Texas as a third seed plays Kansas State friday. In the unlikely event Iowa State loses to WV tonight, we go to a 2 seed. Thanks Kansas.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, I'm glad OU lost!

As far as the Big 12 conference, it would be cool to have 4 teams hosting the first and second rounds; but, it makes it very difficult on the committee as they are required to place those host teams in different regions. I'll never forget how that rule screwed us because the PAC 12 had 4 schools hosting, and the committee had to procedurally "bump" Arizona State ahead of us and we ended up the #2 seed in the UConn region.

So, if OU doesn't win at least 2 games in KC (IMO) and falls out of the Top 16 seeds, perhaps that will give the committee some flexibility in not having to "fit" four Big 12 teams in each of the four regions. On the other hand, having 4 top seeds sure helped the PAC 12 in my scenario above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

ISU up 6 pts at halftime

10. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Agree Mooooo. I was torn (a little) because this is the strongest Big 12 Conference in a long time, and arguably the best conference this year, with 6 really good teams, including Kansas & Kansas State. I would love Big 12 to get four top-16 teams, but I'd rather Texas obtain the #2 or #3 seed in the Big 12 tournament.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

ISU beat WV

12. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

So finished third. Kansas State Friday.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Happy to be the #3 seed (instead of #4). But, the #3 seed gets like the latest tipoff times, and the least amount of rest between days (assuming you win each day). Regardless, I think we have the most depth in the conference. Gotta win each game first and foremost, but hopefully the coaches can manage players' minutes so they don't wear down (if we can get to Sunday's championship game).

Big 12 Conference (big12sports.com)

• Like Like x 3
  14. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

So if Texas beats KSU a third time and possibly eliminates ISU in the next round will the seeds flip flop for the NCAA’s between the two? Seems like Texas should move up to a 2 seed if they win two Big 12 tourney games.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I agree, and particularly because our NET rating is already #7.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Charli Creme's updated bracket yesterday had #8 Michigan (reveal ranking) moving from a #2 seed down to a #3 seed after losing to Nebraska in the quarterfinals of the B1G tournament. Texas ended up moving up due to that loss, but not really in a good way:

In the Greensboro regional it was:

#1 South Carolina
    #8 Michigan
    #9 UConn

(Texas was #10 in the Spokane regional).

Now, his projection in the Greensboro regional is:

#1 South Carolina
    #8 UConn
    #9 Texas

So, that's not really a "win" for Texas despite moving "up" in the rankings. Conversely, Michigan "wins" by "losing" . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  17. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I wonder how we'll rank if we run the table at the B12 tourny and win it all?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We won't get better than a 2 seed, nor worse than a 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The SC loss won’t change much but that Louisville loss puts the fourth #1 seed in play (I would think anyway). LSU lost. So that puts Baylor front and center. If we were to beat them in a B12 tourney match-up, it could be an interesting seed to fill with UConn, Baylor, LSU, Louisville and even Texas (unlikely) as possibles. But that assumes the committee makes logical choices which is never a given.

• Like Like x 2
  20. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I think Louisville will still be the final 1 seed, the only other option is Baylor if they win out. If we win out, our best is a 2, replacing Iowa State. If we make it to the championship by beating ISU we still take their 2 seed. If we drop first round to KSU we should still be a 3.

• Like Like x 2
  21. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Perhaps it would put us in another bracket? Would prefer not to be is SC's bracket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Agree this is most the likely scenario but every year the committee says they put emphasis on how a team is playing in March. A run through the B12 would most likely include two more top 10 wins for us including our second top 5 win. It’s not likely that we would jump beyond a 2 but it’s not entirely impossible either. I remain doubtful but hopeful. If I had to bet, I think it’s easy money on 2.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

These bracket projections are fun and all, but they almost never get the majority of pairings or locations right. I find it pretty hard to believe they are going to have a regional in Bridgeport Connecticut and not send a #2 seed UConn there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Anybody else going to KC for the tournament? Pack your warm clothes, snow is predicted Wednesday & Thursday (low Friday night 8°). Just another thing I hate about having the tourney there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I'll be at the tournament and suffering in the cold. It'll be too dreadful to do anything outdoors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Just noticed the first 2 quarterfinals on Friday will be on ESPNU, but the last 2 games (ours) will only be streamed on ESPN+. And, Saturday's semi-finals will only be streamed on ESPN+.

So, out of the 9 games to played, 2 will be on ESPNU, and the championship on ESPN2. 6 games one ESPN+.

I swear TV appearances have gotten worse each year for Big 12 women's basketball conference tourney. I think that's because we insist on having our tournament the same week as all the men's tournaments across the country. They will always take precedence for TV. Perhaps that's another reason why the other P5 conference held their women's conference tournament this past week; more TV exposure since not competing with men's tournaments.

SEC had all their tourney games on SECN until the semi-finals which then were aired by ESPN2. I didn't pay attention to the B1G, ACC, and PAC 12 as far as where their semi-final games were aired. I know through the quarterfinals Bally aired the ACC games; BTN and PACN aired their conference tournament games.

Good news is we won't have to worry about that once we join the SEC (which I think will be for 2023-24).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  27. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

ESPNW and Creme had us at a 3. Just irritates me to see us there with Iowa State as a 2 when we hammered them twice. Voelpel has us at 7 in her power rankings with IS below. I will REALLY be upset if we beat IS 3 times and they are still a 2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Just FYI - I get Spectrum at home which carries LHN. I also have ESPN+ streaming. As a result, I have gotten every game we have played no matter the opponent. From what I can tell, that will be true when we go to the SEC but I am pretty sure I have the expanded sports package which includes the SEC Network in addition to LHN which is part of the basic sports channels. I consider it money well spent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

WCBB…I’m in the same boat. Frontier Premium package plus ESPN+ so I always get to watch on LHN, ESPN (lots of channels), or ESPN+ streaming. And it includes the SEC Network, BIG 10 Network, PAC 12 Network and more. But Moooo is correct that last week there were LOTS of women’s basketball to watch and I couldn’t watch em all. This week the B 12 will be relegated to mostly streaming and a few main ESPN channels for big games. When we go SEC all bets are off. We may or may not have TLN and be more dependent on SEC Network and ESPN+ streaming. I can always find em now or in the future. However, not everyone has ESPN+ streaming, so fewer eyeballs from the sports public will see. I always want to make it easily available to be a Horns fan. Minor life irritation.

• Like Like x 1
  30. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Anyone know how to set up a pick'em for the Big 12 tournament? I know who I choose for our first game, and for the final - Hook'em!

• Like Like x 1