big name, big time players

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 22 HORN, Jan 19, 2008.

1. 22 HORN

22 HORN 250+ Posts

who are some big time / names of football recruits that just didn't pan out as expected...college and reason

2. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

3. recycle bin

recycle bin 25+ Posts

Todd Marinovich
    USC
    Numerous reasons with the #1 being he was an idiot

4. DCA_HORN

DCA_HORN 500+ Posts

5. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Sneezy Beltran.

Close it down.

6. recycle bin

recycle bin 25+ Posts

DCA - I stand corrected sir.

7. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

8. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

Maurice Clarette

9. john_h

john_h 100+ Posts

Marcus Houston
    Colorado (then Colorado State)
    injuries

10. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Who was the DE from Tyler that Florida State poached from us? That was right when I was getting into recruiting and it crushed me. Never really did anything at FSU due to injuries, iirc.

11. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

David Warren

12. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

Dave Warren started on a team that won the national title.

He was a solid player, but didn't come close to living up to his high school hype.

Todd Marinovich was a good college player who just flamed out when he got to the league.

13. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

14. Marcus Dupree, because he was a big underachiever.

15. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

16. Waller Creek

Waller Creek 100+ Posts

Robert Strait, Cuero, Baylor.

Reason: Baylor?

17. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

-Reggie McNeal
    -QB, Texas A&M
    -He was so much better than Vince Young that it just wouldn't be fair

Rhett Bomar
    -QB, Oklahoma
    -Decided to pursue his dream of working in a car dealership

18. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Shea Morenz - While a decent QB, he never panned out as most expected. Beaten out by James Brown and quit to play baseball.

19. skyranger43

skyranger43 100+ Posts

Now Husk---He is still legend in zero U land! I remember UT, db Richard Peavy knocking him into a week from Thurs. one Oct. afternoon in big D. He left the game and never came back. I think, after the game, he still didn't know where he was or his name. Peavy only weighed about 190, but he could bring it. You are right though---he never lived up to all the hype. He could have been good, had all the tools, but I think the work ethic lacked. He was over weight a lot of his time there. Blow U can hype 'em where no one can meet it though. They had an article in today's paper blowing up Jermie Calhoun as the next Adrian Peterson. How would you like to be a HS kid and start carrying that load?

20. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Well, if you are being compared to AD, at least you only have to carry that load for 1/2 a year.

21. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Vince Young
    #1 recruit but never really panned out in college, couldn't even crack the top ten players of all time.

22. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Grady Cavness

23. BayouCityOrange

BayouCityOrange 25+ Posts

Kenneth Hall
    Texas A&M
    Set numerous national rushing records in high school but never panned out under Bear Bryant.

24. The Giant Baba

The Giant Baba < 25 Posts

Many of these players were disappointments but sevral had marginal careers and just did not live up to the Hype. Real flame outs come in at 5 stars and never show anything...Dupree and Clarette showed it at the coillege level, just flamed out.

Looking for the type of kid who was just a complete mis-read. Never even showed flashes. Trainwreck.

Marco Martin types(injury can be an excuse here), Odel James types. Real Busts like Steve Clements. Or a David Aaron? Greg Cicero? How did College Football go on without the QB Prowess of Edmond Stansbury? (I know he ended up a FB)