Big XII Fans - SEC Fans - Difference ?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by DRAG69, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

2. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

For a single ticket? Seriously?

3. TULPoke

TULPoke 100+ Posts

Sure.

I don't think Texas' pricing structure is much different. Problem is, OSU has about 1/8 of the demand and 40,000 less seats.

I'll put it to you this way:

I can currently get two tickets to the Texas-Iowa State basketball contest for $25 after fees on row 15 of the upper level.

I can currently get two tickets to the Oklahoma State-Texas A&M basketball contest for $110 after fees on row 20 of the 3rd level.

4. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

The OSU website has individual tix at $60-$85. That's in line with the school that's stealing your coaches, but it also shows that you can get season tix starting at $419 at OSU, which you can't at Auburn.

5. horngrad03

horngrad03 250+ Posts

6. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

The fans doing the chant after the game, are the fans of the teams that just won the game. Not some fan trying to ride coattails. If they want to exhibit a little conference pride, not sure why you care so much.

Almost every year there is some debate as to who should be in the BCSCG. Usually there are a lot of critics of the teams that made it. 99.9% of the time, that criticism is based off who they played against during the season (i.e. what conference they are in). Many didn't think UF deserved to be in the game two years ago. Same thing last year with LSU, and again this year with UF. The debate came down to who they had played, and whether an SEC team deserved to be in over a similar team from another conference.

A few weeks ago, what was the major criticism of Florida around here? That the SEC was down, and they hadn't played anyone. That their one loss was worse than Texas' or USC's, or anyone elses. And that their wins weren't very impressive.

The SEC chant is a little backlash against those critics. And there have been plenty of critics the last few years.

7. nothingsacred

nothingsacred 25+ Posts

8. Fight Songs

Fight Songs 25+ Posts

I think a big part of the difference in attitude can be explained by the fact that the bitterest rivals of a lot of SEC schools are from outside the conference. If the SEC included Florida State, Clemson, or Louisville, I doubt you'd see as many Gators, Gamecocks, or Wildcats blindly rooting for every conference team. And Arkansas reserves its worst feelings for Texas, and Georgia fans have to deal with more Georgia Tech grads and fans than Ole Miss ones.

It does beg the question, though: Laphroaig, do you root for 'Bama? You're an Auburn fan, right? During their bowl game, do you yell "Roll Tide" at the TV?

9. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

10. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

The most difficult team for me to root for this year was Ole Miss. The only reason I did was because I was even more sick of Tech. Had they played anyone else, I probably would've rooted against OM.

11. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Let me explain the difference. Big XII fans are not a cult.

12. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I think it's more along the lines of "the South shall rise again." They're all in it together.

For whatever reason, SEC fans relate to each other more than other places. The Big Eight once was like this for short periods here and there, but nothing like the SEC. Same with the Big Ten... they stick together, but not like the SEC. I really think it's cultural.

13. nothingsacred

nothingsacred 25+ Posts

14. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I have a Tech buddy that went to the CottonBowl. He said the Ole Miss fans were so obnoxious yelling SEC...SEC...SEC...SEC before and after the game.

[​IMG]

15. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

16. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Conference pride is a southern thing. The "south will rise again." Who else says that?

17. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

So, let me get this straight.

Neither Auburn nor Arkansas went to a bowl this year. (In the case of Arkansas, they've been to 2 bowls in 5 years.) Yet, fans of each team are on this very thread lecturing us about what good football is.

Do I have that straight?

18. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

19. nothingsacred

nothingsacred 25+ Posts

20. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

21. Tonesky

Tonesky 25+ Posts

22. nothingsacred

nothingsacred 25+ Posts

23. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

24. Bob in Houston

Laphroaig, I think you are trying to attach logical reasons to an illogical alliance.... that is, if you asked a dozen SEC fans why they chant S-E-C, you'd get a dozen different answers.

25. nothingsacred

nothingsacred 25+ Posts

What was debunked is the idea that rooting for your conference is going to make a difference in who plays in the MNC.

From page 2 of the thread:

In reply to:

Let's say I'm a UGA fan, and UGA and Penn State both finish with one loss, but only one will make the MNC game. Who do you think the pollsters are going to vote for?
    ----------------------

December 5th 2004 AP Top 25

1. USC (44) 12-0 1,599
    2. Oklahoma (14) 12-0 1,556
    3. Auburn (7) 12-0 1,525

--------------

26. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

27. Bob in Houston

SEC teams make these games because they are good enough, not because voters are wowed by the SEC brand. You're really stretching here.

28. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

29. Bob in Houston

30. nothingsacred

nothingsacred 25+ Posts

Are you just ignoring that people above them lost?