Bob Knight Resigns

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by naked_bongo, Feb 4, 2008.

1. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

2. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

3. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

whoa, what's the story?

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he was just waiting for 900?

5. NatChampUT

NatChampUT 100+ Posts

6. LonghornSean

LonghornSean 25+ Posts

Wow. That's unexpected.

7. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

That's pretty big! [​IMG]

8. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

9. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

Rumor is that he quit mid-season to take the Atlanta Falcons job.

10. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I love Bobby Knight!

11. guy noir

guy noir 100+ Posts

Now that he's gone, I think I'll miss his entertainment value, although I would not have guessed that I would have had this reaction.

12. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

I'll miss Bob Knight at Texas Tech. He and Mike Leach were the best. [​IMG]

13. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

was not expecting this

14. L.A.Longhorn

L.A.Longhorn 250+ Posts

15. LightTheTower

LightTheTower 100+ Posts

16. L.A.Longhorn

L.A.Longhorn 250+ Posts

Texas handed Knight his last loss EVER.

A&M handed Knight his 900th win.

[​IMG]

17. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

I'm _so_ glad that we have a 'good' coach who happens to be classy as well.

I bet it was an intervention finally.

Why was he always angry to everyone?

18. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

This is a total shocker.

19. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

Not a shocking way for him to go out. He isn't a big fan of self promotion so slipping away in the dark, without a spotlight, is his way.

He doesn't go out on top, but he doesn't leave on a huge decline either. He also isn't pushed out due to some unfortunate event. For a legend like him, it's a good way to exit the stage.

20. Stormspencer

Stormspencer 100+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Well....bye

21. M C Orange

M C Orange 100+ Posts

nice storm [​IMG]

22. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

Bummer. Have a good retirement, sir.

23. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

in case anyone is interested in looking at his coaching records, i added them to Wiki (yes, I'm a nerd). See current version of article.

I also added and maintained Mack Brown's records as well.

24. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

25. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

26. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

27. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

Bob Knight has been living off his reputation from the 70's /80's for awhile now. His accomplishments the last few years at Indiana and during his time at Tech really don't match up to the hype this guy gets. He knows his X's and O's Im sure, but he simply wasnt putting in the effort on the recruiting trail. I know Lubbock isnt the easiet sell in the world, but neither is Waco or Manhatten KS, and look at the talent there. I don't think college basketball will be any worse off with this guy out of the picture. His egotistical, my **** don't stink attitude wore thin on me years ago. I can respect his coaching accomplishments from years gone by, but really have little respect for him a person.

28. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

The respect that many had, and have, for Knight will continue to fade like all those accomplishments from the '70s and 80's. For the quintessential disciplinarian who (rightfully) praised the team over the individual, he selfishly walks away from a Tech team who has a genuine shot at the Big Dance and not-so-coincidentally after he hits 900 wins. This, mind you, after he signed a contract extension back in September.

Maybe he did have a legit reason. But this looks like the last selfish act of a coach known for, too often, putting his interests, temper, vanity, and ego before everything else.

29. univoftexasman

univoftexasman 25+ Posts

Not really sure how I feel. I used to love going to see him and joining in on the "throw the chair" and "choke a player" chants. But, after watching how close Rick and Bob are, it has made me reconsider some of my feelings towards him. I used to think he was an *** clown who deserved no respect from anyone, but recently, I've really learned to like the guy and appreciate what he has done for the sport (albeit not much in a while)

However, with all that in mind, nothing sticks out more to me than when he gave Coach Barnes the card from his record breaking game and the inscription he wrote on it. It was weird seeing him in an emotional state like that, but makes you realize even he is capable of some emotion [​IMG]

30. Bobmejohnson03

Bobmejohnson03 < 25 Posts

There was a clause is his contract that said that his son would be the next head coach when he is done.
    I'm thinking that since he himself was not improving this team, that he would hand the reigns over to his son and let him get his feet wet for next season since Tech has alot of players coming back