Boise vs BC bowl game cancelled

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Creek, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Due to weather. Good God, this country is soft.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Agree! :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Can't imagine what a fan that bought a ticket to this game must be feeling right now. I'd be pretty upset if I went through the hassle of traveling to the game only to have it cancelled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

The rain isn't the issue and it is semi warm but the lightning is constant.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Did they have a dinner date or something? I was watching the game and it seemed like the cancellation was announced only 30-45 minutes after the delay was started. Seemed like an awfully quick call to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

The storm hung around longer than expected. It is still going on.

8. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

You should play the game no matter what. People came from Boise and Boston to this fiasco. Gate was collected, lawsuits avoided .

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Does the Cotton Bowl have lights? Did the team have a hotel this evening? If the answer is "yes" to those items then you can resume the game late into the evening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Cotton Bowl does have lights, or at least it did a couple of on October 6.

In HS, we played a game in a monsoon in South Park; 45 minute tornado delay. Water came into our shoes at midfield. When lightning subsided, we went back out. At one point, we had to punt while it was raining so hard you couldn't see the ball in the air. When asked what we were supposed to do, Bum said, "If we can't see it, neither can they. Run twenty yards down field, stop and listen for the thud, then run that direction."

Our parents & fans were all of seven miles from home, not 2500 like Boise. This was an ESPN call to not conflict with their other programming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

Reporting from about 5 miles north of the CB, rain is heavy and relentless as is the lightening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I played a game in the dark once. One side of the field was lit the lights blew out on the far side of the field. Offense was going into the darkness. I had my best game as a DB because I had better light to see the ball playing zone defense. I did not get many picks but in that game I had two. One was a pick six. It took a blown out set of lights but by gosh, that was my shining moment. It was a scrimmage not a real game btw, it was right before the season started. Ha. makes for a good story anyway. I don't recall many weather delays. San Antonio was always a bit dryer than HS and DFW. But Sabre's point is good, weather delays and cancellations are a lot more prevalent now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Radar showing the worst is still between Abilene and Fort Worth. Supposedly no letup for you until tomorrow morning

14. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Still a lot of lightning with the worse still to come. All is supposed to be over in the Metroplex by 1 tomorrow morning. If you live east or southeast of DFW you got heavy weather on the way.

16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Caring about people being injured or killed by lightning?
    What's this country coming to?

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. LonghornCatholic

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kind of like that dumbass the school hired from Ohio State to be police chief. Horrible storm, so that moron ordered evacuation of the stadium onto the streets walking to their cars at the height of the storm - getting soaked and dodging lightning bolts on San Jacinto.

I refused to leave or allow my family to move. We walked into the concession area behind sections 7-9. I told the cops that we were in a concrete room with very thick walls of concrete and steel, which were big enough to support the 50 row upper deck. Safest place around. Furthermore, I invited them to arrest us, but only if they pulled the police car into Deloss' parking place and drove us to 7th Street. Then I walked them to the ramp down to let them see the tens of thousands on San Jacinto dodging blowing debris and lightning bolts. After careful consideration, the cops joined us sitting on the floor by the concession stand to wait out the storm.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

There, FIFY!

21. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Could they have resumed tomorrow? I understand the severe weather today, but NASCAR will run the next day if possible, just asking

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

ND Lite announced that everyone that bought a bowl ticket through the school would have a full refund by January 2, and a complementary ticket to the BC sporting event of their choice between now and next December.

• Like Like x 2
  23. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

It’s football?

24. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

The hygienic police would of probably required them to rewash their uniforms or they'd all die from a potential staff infection.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

ESPN's (who is paying for the game) slots are full for today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I think they decided to roll the dice and hope for the best.
    They could have moved it to the STAR in Frisco but would have had to pay Jerry.
    I understand why they didn't but it sucks for the fans.

27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

ServPro...like it never happened.

As to the lightning, one thing I had read was each lightning strike would reset the clock they have to go by. And apparently it kept resetting.

City of Dallas gets no money back, at least as of what I was reading yesterday. The City Council was split about having paid for the game in the first place. The Council rightfully viewed the money as corporate welfare.

On the bright side, at least the players who have no shot at ever going anywhere beyond college ball now can offer themselves as an answer to a trivia question later in life...

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Wanna bet the Bowl Committee still makes their full amount of money?