BON article explaining some of the defense problems

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Nov 5, 2019.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I get what the article is suggesting, that being patience, but to me the most important point is what is written in the first sentence of the second paragraph:

“Take a defense that ranked No. 123 in the SP+ returning production metrics..

123rd! Do that not suggest a problem well beyond the injuries?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The fact that we cannot manage net positive yards in punt returns and that this part of our game has been so consistently incompetent is just beyond explanation. I mean this is a very coachable aspect of football with a few simple rules/objectives, and we can’t do it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Hopefully, a full time special teams coach will be added after the season. I mentioned this as a glaring need last week and probably before that. Seems obvious. Sure do hope it happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

If there weren’t concerns about scheme & play calling to go along with the injuries I’d probably have bought into that article more...even the ‘heartening’ part about how we stack up with other crappy defenses like Bowling Green etc. :facepalm:

Regardless, I do believe in the article’s call for patience because we don’t have a choice. Whether folks want Orlando to have another year or not, he’s going to get one.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He could have ended the article with the statement:
    "Is any of this up to the Texas standard? Of course not."

But instead, he kept going.

Look at every other school that seems successful at special teams. Hardly any of them have special teams coaches. Special teams is almost always done by a committee of coaches. I think a bigger problem is the execution. The coaches seem to understand what we need to do on those punt returns, but then Smith or Jones or whoever makes a bad read.

I just don't think the injury bug is a good enough reason to be the worst team in every measurable. It should bump a team down from "good to worse," but not "THE worst." We're Texas, not UMass. Alabama has been hit hard by injuries too on defense, and their ranking has slipped... to #16 in the nation in total defense.

This year was already supposed to be a growing pains year on D because of what we lost from the 2018 team, and this goes back to recruiting and depth. Call me crazy, but I think the coaches can be held responsible for that too. If we have all of these young kids who aren't trusted to play a position for which they were recruited, then what's up with that? We're no longer playing in the redshirt era... everybody knows this. You show up to campus and you play. If you're not in a position to do that, you either shouldn't be at Texas, or the coaches aren't using you properly. My guess is it's a little of both.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I’m on Team Tom and do not plan to abandon ship. But I’m no sunshine pumper. Yeah, we’ve had lots of injuries. Still, it’s obvious this coaching staff needs to significantly improve its performance. For starts, eliminate (or at least minimize) stupid mistakes, game plan better, and stop being so dang predictable.

Mid-year position coaches or coordinator changes are disruptive, but at the end of the season, Tom needs to take a real hard look at the performance of his underlings and do what’s right for the team on a case-by-case basis.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Blair Cherry took over for Dana X. Bible in 1947. From 1947-1950 his Texas teams went 32-10-1, won the SWC in 1950, won a Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, and lost a Cotton Bowl in 1950. Finished 5th in 1947, 2/3 in 1950 (depending on poll).

From his wiki page:
    Cherry was suffering from ulcers and insomnia at the time of his retirement, and later hinted in the article "Why I Quit Coaching" that harsh criticism from fans and media, despite his 32–10–1 record and two top-five finishes, led to his decision to retire.

And that was before the internet. God help us if, every day we went to work, someone was grading whether we got to come back the next day. Hook 'em.

• Like Like x 6
  9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

With several key D players returning from injuries vs. KSU, we should get a pretty good read on what we got on D the last 4 regular season games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

This is why I defend TH. And he is 22-13 (63%). He is a good young Coach with Major upside. Maybe some assistants need to be juggled around so what. Are you qualified for his job? If not then let him learn and get better. Expecting every UT Coach to be Nick Saban out of the gate is unrealistic. Patience, if we’re 5-7 by years end then warm up his seat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Criticism and second guessing comes with the territory. This is Texas, the most financially successful program in the country, and many believe that the HC of Texas is the best job in the sport. Any individual that is interviewed for the job understands the expectations.

Most fans, administrators and boosters expect a positive trend. That was generally the case until OU this year. But beginning with that game we have been spiraling downward. Now there are issues in all three phases of the game, and glaring issues in two, the defense and special teams. Folks, we almost lost to Kansas.

I might be more forgiving if Herman wasn’t so thin skinned and arrogant. But instead of being contrite, he’s often demeaning and confrontational. I watch the pressers. They throw him carefully worded softballs and he still gets defensive. I’m tired of the behavior.

Tom is his own worst enemy and I believe that the concerns and criticism are justified. Fix the problems — or at least show progress — and our generally forgiving fan base may begin to back off.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I agree with your points almost 100%, but what could he say that would make anyone on this board happier? I suggest nothing would so we have an arrogant coach who can't field softball questions.

In the end we, as a fan base, get pissed about everything that doesn't work and all that matters is winning. Even when we win by 14 points people complain about something. So bottom line as to how long he lasts around here will be directly related to how many games he wins each year and not his attitude and cockiness. If he goes 7-5 or 8-4 this year and next without making any coaching changes I suspect he won't be here for long thin skinned or not.

Mack was one of the most thin skinned sensitive coaches I've ever seen, but he went off on the media in private not in press conferences and eventually won a natty. I just try not to listen to anything Herman says anymore and let the performance on the field tell me whats up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

If we scored points every time we had the ball and got three and outs (maybe allow one first down) every time opponent had the ball I would be satisfied, but only happy if we scored TDs every possession.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

My understanding is only x number of coaches are allowed on the coaching staff so you'd have to give up one of the other position coaches to have a full time special teams coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I think that the patience of a fanbase can often be rewarded. Look at the records of many of the elite teams and you’ll find they had a coach who was afforded more than a few years and some “meh” years to get rolling.

That said those same coaches are very demanding of assistants and don’t hesitate to cut one loose. Injuries or no, Would Satan or Swinney hesitate to cut TO loose after this season? No they wouldn’t.

I still believe in TH and that he’ll make the right moves this offseason. If he doubles down on TO and/or beck then I just hope he really knows WTF he is doing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. zuckercanyon

The key word is AFTER the season ends.....think some here think yesterday was too late for the firing(s)

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, it suggests the seniors we lost were a large part of last year's defensive production.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

And offense, although many were not Seniors those be lost hurt more than anticipated. That plus we do not get enough blowouts to get meaningful playing time for the youngsters.

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The problem is that last year’s defense was nothing special and many of the same issues — like late game collapses — that plague this team were also a huge problem last year. Exhibits A, B. & C were OU, OSU and WVA “last year.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

No doubt Duke but they did seem to make more stops than this years D. I’m hoping to see improvement this Sat, but don’t expect perfection,,,,,,yet. Got a long way to go.

21. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I’m an airline pilot. People do it every flight. I don’t make 5 million a year though.

• Like Like x 2
  22. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

My biggest complaint is not adapting to the talent we had after the injuries. Our O is good enough most weeks to win us games if the D gives yds but holds teams in the red zone. The all out blitz every 3rd down just wasn't fair to our young corners. Left them completely exposed to big plays. I just don't get it. Oh and it hasn't worked. In my job when things aren't working I look for other ways to solve the same problem. I just see no adjustments between games much less within a game. That's on TO. That's his job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, yeah, take your 3 million a year and stop whining! :smile1:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I think he buys a fancy new iPhone like every week or so

• Hot Hot x 1
  25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Give him a break, he lives in Chicago after all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Doesn't an article or two come out every year explaining and justifying why we suck?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. horninchicago

Yep, my measly $3M a year is like $482k in Texas.

• Funny Funny x 4
  28. zuckercanyon

People get arrested if they jack with you, though.....Can't walk up to hic during a flight and say "look, douchebag, handle the f-ing turbulence better or you're going to get b**ched".

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. horninchicago

• Winner Winner x 1