Books for men

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by jmatt, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

What are the books that every man should read? I looked on-line for just such a list, but couldn't find one, so I thought we could put one together.

I know we have had some lists here before, but they were usually short and for a summer read, business, economics, or other specific theme.

I'm more looking for a broad listing of books (or stories) that every guy should read at least once. It doesn't have to be great literature, just a good read. Something that touches guys

And yes, I know this could get really long if enough folks respond...

Here's a start, from some I've read over the years (and looking at my bookshelf), in no particular order...

Into The WIld by Jon Krakauer (Just read this after putting it off way too long. It was a gift from my wife at Christmas, and is kind of what inspired this post, BTW, a GREAT book).
    Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
    Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
    Seabiscuit: An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand
    Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides
    War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
    The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
    The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer
    Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac
    The Source by James Michener
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
    The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis

Oh, I'll leave it to one of our female cohorts to start a women's list...

2. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

I've read most of those and my questions is- what makes them more specific/applicable for guys vs. women?

3. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Nothing says a woman couldn't or wouldn't read or enjoy these, But I'm looking for stuff that would more likely appeal more to a man or boy than to a woman or girl, or that one guy would think other guys might enjoy.

Heck, fo all I know, someone might list a a bunch of romance novels... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Titan... biography of John D. Rockefeller.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

6. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Some Stephen Ambrose selections:

Band of Brothers
    D-Day
    Undaunted Courage
    (there are plenty of others, but those are my favorites)

McMurtry:

Lonesome Dove (yes, there are sequels, but the first is still the best -- and worth a re-read every few years)

Others:

Death in the Long Grass
    A View From a Tall Hill (both of these are books on hunting in Africa)

Sex, Death, and Flyfishing
    Standing in a River, Waving a Stick (both of these are John Geirach collections of essays, on both fishing and life, and the interesting overlap between them. They are simply fantastic.)

Isaac's Storm (the story of the 1900 Galveston Hurricane)

PJ O'Rourke's "Parliament of Whores" -- really, any of the PJ O'Rourke books of political commentary are great. Pointed and funny as hell. And he's all about booze, cigars, and personal freedom -- guy subjects if I ever heard one.

That should be a fair start.

7. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

If you like political / science 'fact'-ion type books, these are my favorite.

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
    Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
    Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

8. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Walden, or Life in the Woods --- Thoreau

9. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

East of Eden, John Steinback.

10. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

also, though it's been tarnished by crappy movies, I think "The Count of Monte Cristo" qualifies as a good guy's book. It's a good read if you like revenge.

11. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
    Also, I'm with Brisket on P.J. O'Rourke. His first book, called A Bachelor's Home Companion is a MUST read by every male. Modern Day Manners for Rude People is right up there with it. And all of his political books are great.
    He offers such advice as:
    - keep your sheets clean by getting drunk and falling asleep with your clothes on.
    - he says you don't need measure cups. Handful=half a cup, half a handful = quartercup, mouthful (liquid measure only) = one cup.
    - To attract the most attention, a woman should either be nude or wearing something as expensive ast gettiner her nude is going to be.
    - Never refuse a drink. Anyone who doesn't drink must be an alcoholic.
    - Guns are the best method for suicide. Drugs are too chancy. You might miscalculate and just have a good time.

12. Math Mudrat

Math Mudrat 250+ Posts

"The Manly Handbook" by Schecter and Everitt - that is all.[​IMG]

13. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

"Where The Red Fern Grows"

14. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    The Art of War

15. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

Some that came to mind and have not been listed:

A River Runs Through It
    Wild At Heart
    The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
    Freakonomics
    Eat The Rich

16. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

17. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

all fathers of young children should read "The Road" it's amazing

18. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

In Our Time
    The Book of Five Rings

19. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

20. TXBabe97

TXBabe97 250+ Posts

All I can say is that I read "Helter Skelter" in high school and it scared the absolute **** out of me.

21. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Out of everything listed I've read:
    The Old Man and The Sea
    A River Runs Through It

Far and away the two shortest books on this list. "The Old Man" is a little over 100 pages and I think "A River" is actually under 100 pages.

I know that my class read "Huck Finn", which means that I read most of the Cliffs Notes for it and probably the same for "Tom Sawyer".

I would get so lost in reading the Cliffs Notes on the books that were assigned, that sometimes I would read 5 chapters when only 3 were assigned. (I was a "word - by -word" reader, so it usually took me about 4 to 5 times as long to read as my classmates. And I wasn't going to read for 2+ hours for only one class.)

My addition to this list-

THE GAME

[​IMG]

22. UTCHHSLonghorns

UTCHHSLonghorns 25+ Posts

Women, Charles Bukowski

[​IMG]

23. Drew Shirley

Drew Shirley 100+ Posts

Into the Wild is a great book, but Into Thin Air, also by Krakauer, is one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read.

Also, The Right Stuff is a must read for every man. The baddest asses of all badasses were the original test pilots and astronauts. Especially Chuck Yeager.

24. Mister Falcon

Mister Falcon 250+ Posts

Some good selections here.

I've read Confederacy of Dunces and thought it was hilarious. That said, I don't know that it's for everyone, or even for men in particular.

Into the Wild is a fantastic book for restless young men. It's wonderfully written, and was one of the only books that's made me cry. Another being...

The Road. This is a truly great modern book about the uncompromising love a father has for his son.

I throw out two more suggestions for those who like a good historical adventure: Manhunt (a fast-paced novel-style take on the search for John Wilkes Booth) and Agent Zig-Zag (about an English double-agent during WWII).

25. Puffer

Puffer 250+ Posts

Robinson Crusoe
    Undaunted Courage
    Down the Great Unknown
    The River Why
    Golf in the Kingdom
    Dracula
    Friday Night Lights

26. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

Rogue Warrior by Richard Marchinko

27. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Measure of a Man, by Gene Getz

[​IMG]

28. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Moby Dick

Idylls of the King

Desert Solitaire

29. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

Gone With the Wind is an excellent book. Not a real guy's guy book but it's a fantastic read and is very historical.

30. airportlobby

airportlobby 100+ Posts

A few books my dad and I shared:

The Monkey's Wrench - Primo Levi - great book about the pleasures of working

A Fan's Notes - Football, heavy drinking, chasing skirts, great writing, serious despair.

Roddy Doyle - The Snapper.

Moby Dick - men being men, homoerotically.

A Hero of our time - Lermontov

Sanctuary - Faulkner - Faulkner's take on pulp.