Boothe out for NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by texexted, Mar 16, 2018.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

According to a Texas Media Release:

TEXAS WOMEN’S BASKETBALL’S RELLAH BOOTHE UNAVAILABLE FOR POSTSEASON COMPETITION

AUSTIN, Texas – Freshman Texas forward Rellah Boothe will be unavailable for postseason competition due to personal reasons, head coach Karen Aston announced Thursday.

This is disappointing. I hope whatever is going on gets fixed and she's back next year. She could be a star - whether it's here or somewhere else.

2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I hate hearing this for the team and Rellah. Could have definitely used her skills in the tourney.

I have to believe she will turn this around and become the player we all know she can be. She’s a great rebounder and shooter already and needs to improve on defense and get a little more fit to get there.

I really love watching her play and look forward to her evolution. No doubt the coaching staff will do everything possible to get her there...and a lot of hard work on her part. She’ll mature

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Sadly, I have my doubts she'll be back..I hope I am wrong..

4. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I agree. What a shame.

5. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

If so, I’m pretty confident UT will have done everything possible to get her on the right track. I’m going to remain optimistic until we have any information that says otherwise.

I just know my freshman year was pretty traumatic and I didn’t have the added stress of being a Div 1 athlete at a major university.

It’s a great opportunity for Rellah, so I hope it works out for her and the program

• Like Like x 3
  6. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm in the camp that doesn't think she will be back. When you've been suspended for several weeks earlier in the season, and then get suspended again for the entire playoffs 2 days before they start, it might be hard to feel good about being here. To my knowledge, Aston has never used the word suspended, but now that Rick Cantu has called it that, I suppose that is the accurate word. I want to see Rellah develop her potential and be the outstanding player I think she can be, wherever that may be.

• Like Like x 4
  7. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Lacks discipline in shot selection (not thinking the game) and moving her feet on defense. So much talent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, about that, her shot selection was better after she came back although she did take that three at times. Sometimes, it was ill-advised, other times it was in the flow of the offense and she did make some and missed some, like the other players.

Re her not moving her feet on defense, she was also much better at that as well as showing a better understanding of the defensive scheme, again after her return.

She was not where I would expect her to be next season but certainly she showed improvement from the start of the season.

The above is jmo, based on watching her in games and reruns of games before and after her first suspension.

• Like Like x 5
  9. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I think it's clear she was much better when she finally returned, and her improvement continued as her play increased. I am sorry we won't see her during NCAA play as she could have been a key contributor as we advanced, IMO. The Statesman blurb was highly inappropriate, or just flat our wrong - I'm not sure which. If the school puts out a statement it's because all parties have agreed on that information being released. Don't contradict that, or go into greater detail, or make assumptions...or whatever the case may be. As far as Rellah coming back next year, I think some on the board are also making assumptions, based on absolutely nothing. But the contradictory information leads to speculation, and those that believe the issue is academics are probably correct. I think Rellah loves Texas and her teammates, and if she plays collegiate ball next season - and is capable and willing to get everything else back on track - I'm hopeful we'll see her in burnt orange again this fall.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Unfortunately I don't think she'll be back either. That's not speculation, just the way these things usually play out.

Too bad quite often some of the most talented players are the most lacking in motivation and discipline.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That can be true but Rellah has an example in the three seniors of what hard work and discipline can accomplish in furthering their ability to contribute on the court. I still hope that she will return next season as long as nothing to the contrary is officially stated.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Spot on on every point.

I was hoping someone would start a 2018 transfer thread. But I wanted it to be about who we could pick up, not who we may lose.

13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

True, a lack of motivation and discipline are problems in a college basketball player, but we don't know enough at all to assume those are the problems with Rellah.

• Like Like x 3
  14. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Not knowing enough seldom prevents a few from presenting speculation as if it's fact on this board.

• Like Like x 3
  15. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Pam Ward saying Aston says it’s possible Rellah is back next year

• Like Like x 4
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I saw that, too. But, I can't imagine Coach A answering that question any other way. Did anyone expect her to say "No"? If so, then it negates the "personal reasons" statement put out on Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Watched Longhorn Extra the other day. They showed some clips of the team during the announcement of the bracket last Monday. After the announcement, the team gathered to sing the Eyes of Texas. Rellah was there singing and smiling with everyone. So, whatever happened must have been the following day or two.

18. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I don't think it's K. Aston fault.
    It's either dealing with her grades or family issue's.
    Just listen to K. Aston interview's about R.Boothe

• Like Like x 3