Boudin in the morning...

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by PipFunatUT, Dec 14, 2007.

1. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

nothing better in the morning and steaming up some left over nicks boudin that my family brought up to austin... YUM!

(people from the SE gulf coast will know what im talking about when i say nicks)

2. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

Hell yeah. Breakfast of champions. I'm stuck with the Zummo's they sell at HEB, but it'll do.

Laissez le bon temps rouler.

3. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Smells like Victory.

4. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

How odd- I, too, had Zummo boudin this morning.

5. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

our beaumont friend stopped there a few times this year on his way to our tailgate.

my love grew deeper for him every time he brought it.

6. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

I used to eat the fried boudin balls they sold at a convenience store in Jasper. They were nasty and sublime, all at the same time. Now I'm stuck cooking with frozen crawfish from China (the country, not the town), and choking down whatever brand of boudin I can find at the store.

7. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Zummo's isn't even in the same ballpark as Nick's.
    Nick's is about 50 times better.

8. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts

I live, well my parents live and I grew up, right across Memorial Blvd. form Nicks. We used to stop there some mornings on the way to St. Catherines when I went to school there. We had to stop, b/c they make the boudin every morning and you smell like nicks all day. That is some excellent stuff though. When I go home I get some and just eat it with crackers all day.

9. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

I'm driving out there this week to get some. This thread has force my hand.

10. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

I'm from Beaumont and when i got to UT i was SHOCKED at how many people had never had or heard of boudin.

A damn shame

11. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

12. pescado_rojo

pescado_rojo 25+ Posts

I grew up in PA also, and I would push Brisketexan in front of a bus for some Nick's boudain.

"Hot boudain cannot be purchased with food stamps"

13. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

14. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

15. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Yea.

When I move away from here, I will definitely miss Nick's.

16. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

I have no idea what boudin is. [​IMG]

17. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

What's the best way to cook it? I've had it steamed (in a frying pan with some water) and it was good but I busted it. I've heard some people slow-roast it in the oven.

18. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain 250+ Posts

19. Texas Sandwich

Texas Sandwich 25+ Posts

Not sure if it's still open but Al-T's in Winnie always had a good cheese and boudin omelet.

20. pescado_rojo

pescado_rojo 25+ Posts

I haven't been back to Port Arthur in about 6 years (since my last grandmother passed away). Do they still sell the bad *** stuffed pork chops at Nick's?

21. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Al-T's is still open. Their boudin balls used to be quite good, as was their alligator, but I haven't been in years.

Nick's I think still has those stuffed pork chops, but not positive.

22. Superfan

Superfan 250+ Posts

There are multiple excellent boudin recipes from multiple sources in the PA area.

Guy that goes to church w/my parents sells it in gallon Ziploc's. When I bought I always felt like I was transporting drugs or something.

The "good stuff" leaves you smelling like BO....

23. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

24. Beamwalker

Beamwalker 250+ Posts

I'm at Al-Ts many an early morning before duck hunting. There or the whataburger in winnie is where we all meet up.

25. MAROON

MAROON 250+ Posts

a huge thank you to CaptainEd for his rec of The Best Stop in Scott and the link to the boudin website. I stopped on the way back from NOLA last week and picked up 10lbs of boudin. We cooked three packages over the weekend on the grill...the kids went ape **** over the stuff (I should have puchased 20 lbs!).....will need to stop again on the way back from Mardi Gras in a month.

Thanks again