Bracketology & the Various Super-Regionals' Games

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, May 11, 2022.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Whoever the 4 seed was it was always going to be Gordon in first game and Hansen for game two. Dont sleep on DBU in this regional they are the real danger,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

FIFY

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HHD,

You have at least a 50% chance of being happy with the Austin regional

4. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Miami is a top 8 seed

5. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Gordon is our most consistent pitcher, not Hansen.

Hansen will pitch a3 hit shut out and next game give up 4 bombs. Gordon has basically pitched the same game every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I love DBU's coach, but this is a down year for them. Finished 3rd in the Missouri Valley Conference, lost one of their conference tournament games 21-2.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That’s about as tough as it gets.

Somebody is clearly trying to mess with us—putting Air Force in our bracket…

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Okie State is 7 national seed which tells me Texas was probably two to three wins away from national seed line and there are about 8 games that you can look at where the bullpen imploded and easily find 3 or more. Now I also take into account OU's bullpen imploding and gifting Texas a win back in March and KU's bullpen imploding a week ago and gifting Texas game three just a week ago in this so sometimes baseball evens out but this year if Texas has just a stable pen the Horns are about 46-15 and are easily slotted into the 6-8 national seed line.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The good news is that we were pitching our C team and D team in our fiasco two game mid-week series with Air Force. Not sure how their bats do against Hansen or Gordon.

That 6’6” Air Force catcher can put it over the fence, and often.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And I’m more concerned with our game against Air Force than DBU or LaTech.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Don’t be too surprised if Virginia wins the E Carolina regional.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

Overall a good draw. If we win regional I think a decent chance we could host super. Virginia or coastal Carolina are good enough to knock East Carolina off.
    On another note, Kody Clemens just got called up to Detroit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You missed the point. Since Texas is not a top 8 team, Texas will be paired with a top 8 team. Chop and I were discussing who would we want Texas to be paired with. Chop said Maryland, and I said Miami. If you are paired with a weak top 8 team, there is a chance Texas can host a super regional if the opposing top 8 team loses their regional.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If this isn’t clear, Texas has to play a top 8 team if they win their regional. The above discussion is speculation by Chop and I as to which top 8 team we would prefer. I think Miami is susceptible to losing their regional or super regional relative to the other top 8 teams.

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Does this mean we paired are with #8 in the super regional?

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

East Carolina likely has a little league ballpark, which means lots of home runs. We need pitchers who won’t put people on base to limit the damage.

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I say Gordon then Hansen

18. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Excellent point, Chop. USAFA is not likely to score big bunches against top-level pitching. That being said, Texas definitely drew a tough, competitive field for the Austin Regional - this will not be a cakewalk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

Anyone know the best place to try and find a ticket? Just looking for 1 for myself.

20. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Ugh, 1:00 p.m. start time for Friday's game.

21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Indeed. And I’d give either E Carolina or Virginia about a 50% chance of winning that regional and being our opponent (if we win ours).

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

IF we move on to the super regional, will it be played in Greenville, Charlottesville or Austin?

23. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Depends on who wins our opposing regional, if the top team loses their regional then we could very well host and has happened before. That’s what the guys were discussing above. If you want this to happen, you’re rooting against east Carolina

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Coach can obviously do what he wants but you don’t usually mess around here. You pitch your number 1 first game, #2 second game and so forth. One of the major rules of tournament play is you don’t save pitching.

25. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

Texas will probably face Air Force's ace, Paul Skenes. No slouch. Better bring the offense.
    23 Skenes, Paul
    ERA___W-L___APP-GS___IP____H___R___ER___BB___SO___B/AVG
    2.42__10-2__14-14____81.2__63__24__22___30___92___.214

After that, there is a drop off. They're going to have a difficult time making it through a regional format.

2022 Baseball Cumulative Statistics - Air Force Academy Athletics

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. That first game vs Air Force is the key.

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I am not sure who is no. 1

28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

HHD how do they treat the graduating seniors on the team? Are their report day orders held back? Does it mess with their time in grade? Do they get to keep their leased Corvettes longer? (A bitter USMA friend wants to know.)

29. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Every indication is it’s hansen, Gordon has served us well in the second slot. Hansen has more experience. It’s good for Gordon to be number two, it could affect both pitchers if all of a sudden for no reason you switch it up.

I know what you mean btw

90% of this game is half mental -Yogi Berra.

30. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

We would of been an 8 if we had beat OU
    as predicted.

I see Air Force as the toughest team in this regional. They are Dudes/Athletes, not baseball trained kids.
    Tenn, Okie State, Texas, Aggies, and Air Force are dude type teams.
    TCU, Virginia, DBU are veal.

Generally I agree with tournament wisdom of pitching your best or second best. But since we have a big drop after #2 pitcher that changed things,
    If we had an easy 4 seed I’d consider going with the pen or Stevens (although we needed him in relief)
    Pitching Hansen against the 2 seed in game 2 and then finish them off with Lucas in game three. You have to pitch back ups in game 3 any ways. And game 3 is going to be against a team with momentum.
    Air Force takes that option away.

• Agree Agree x 1