Brasil trip report - pics included

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by kicksumass, Nov 27, 2007.

1. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

Inspired by MIdTexHorn's chicago trip report, i thought I'd share some pics and stories about brasil.

Had gone last month for an altogether too short 2 week trip. There is so much to see in Brazil that even a month may not be enough, but doing some research, I settled for Rio, Salvador, Amazon and Iguacu. My first solo trip, so I was pretty excited and a little nervous especially considering I didn't know any spanish or portugese. Did an online crash course in portugese which turned out to be pretty helpful. I got myself a brazil air pass so domestic travel cost me $750 total (Rio --> Salvador --> Amazon --> Iguasu --> Rio) which was not a bad deal at all.

Trip did not start out good as it was pouring in Rio the day I landed. Luckily for me I was scheduled to head out to salvador the next morning.

Salvador was nice, sunny and hot! Only 2 days in salvador so I had to get going soon. I stayed in Barra, which is close to the beach and safer that the other option which is Pelourinho. Pelo is the older but more lively part of town though. Relaxed most of the day in Barra beach (which really isn't that great) watching the beautiful women, and the exciting beach soccer game. Walked to the end of the strip to the light house where I got hounded by street vendors selling chains.For sunset, I was told to go to another beach not just for a view of sunset, but also for people watching.This is where you'll see guys picking up girls, girls picking up guys, guys pickin up guys, any combination you want! Speaking of pickin up, a girl I met at the hostel had a funny experience while laying on the beach.
    Brazilian random guy: do you have a bf?
    girl: yes
    guy: is he here in salvador?
    girl:yes
    guy: is he from salvador?
    girl: no. He's from scotland.
    guy: ohhh. Then you can have one from scotland and one from salvador.

Why of course!! Can't argue with that. [​IMG] They are pretty direct but harmless.

[​IMG]

The next day I headed to pelorinho where I tried out capoeira at Mistre Bimba's dojo, got my hair braided by one of the ladies on the street, checked out some of the churches and other buildings which were very pretty. Had an Acaraje - a traditional dish made of black eyed peas shaped into a muffin sized bun, deep fried, split in half, and then stuffed with spicy paste made of shrimp, peanuts and few other items. It was delicious. The place itself looks a little shady but there's security all over the place.

[​IMG]

Next stop was Amazon.
    Booked a 4 day package with one of the lodges. Did a lot of hiking through the jungle looking for wildlife, and learning about jungle survival. We started off on a trail but 15min into it, our guide stopped and said, "too many people on trail. We go this way," pulled out his machete and went off the trail in to the jungle. I am glad he did that. He was pretty good - showed us how to make weapons, trees/ plants to looks for for food and medicinal purposes, how to communicate etc etc. Also, apparently you can use ants as insect repellent - just place your hand in an ant hole, let the ants get on your hands and then just rub them all over.

Went on a night hike looking for snakes and frogs with one of the research students from holland. Spent a night in a hammock in an open hut in the middle of jungle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did an amazon river tour where we saw pink dolphins, hunted piranhas, caught caimon, and did some bird watching. Also had piranha sushi, man vs wild Bear Grylls style! Unfortunately it was the dry season, so water level was very low which meant we couldn't go to many of the back areas. Here is a picture -
    [​IMG]
    During rainy season, the water level reaches about 20ft ABOVE the banks in the picture. So the river goes from being 150ft wide to god knows how much.

It was very humid in the amazon. Nothing dries! I would take a shower, spend 30min outdoors and be back to smelling like a..umm.. like a man! [​IMG] oh, while in the jungle, I met an Irish guy who went to high school in the same country as me, which wouldn't be a big deal if that country wasn't this tiny island called Bahrain in the middle east. Such a small world. He also spent 1 semester in Austin and so was a longhorn fan. Naturally, we talked about Vince Young and Kevin Durant for half a day.

I was warned to chose my lodge carefully since there were many fake operators out there. After extensive research, I went with Amazonat which turned out great. They had a nice huge area, room was very clean, groups were small, flexible with what you wanted to do, great guides who had been working for 10-15yrs and everyone seemed to have stories of caimon attacks, jaguar attacks, snake bites etc, with scars for proof.

From there, I flew to Iguasu falls which is on the border of Brasil, Argentina and Uruguay. Instead of doing the motored boat tour, something similar to maid of mist at niagara falls, I went for some of the adventure activities offered. I rappelled down 200ft, all the while enjoying the amazing falls, went rafting and hiked along the falls. I would definitely rate this higher than Niagra falls. See sig for pic and more below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final stop was Rio. Luckily it had stopped raining by now and I took advantage of it by spending whole day at ipanema beach, which is much better than the one in salvador, with a lot more pretty women. I was sitting on the beach staring into the ocean when I saw the most gorgeous chic come out of the water wearing guess what? a burnt orange bikini and stand there for a minute. All I could see was this beautiful tanned wet girl with a perfect body with nothing but the ocean in the background. I thought I was in a james bond movie. Dangit, I want to go back!

[​IMG]

Girl from Ipanema -
    [​IMG]

Instead of doing a guided tour of sugar loaf and Crist of redeemer, I went with 5 pretty brazilian girls from sao paulo that I met at the hostel. Yes, lucky me! [​IMG] Weather was also good..pretty sunny and clear. The views from sugar loaf are the best. The Christ of Redeemer was packed but the statue is very impressive.

Sugarloaf
    [​IMG]

View from Sugarloaf. 2 cable cars take you to the top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cristo Redentor
    [​IMG]

From Christ of Redeemer, we headed to Santa Teresa, old town of Rio where we had lunch and enjoyed some live Xonrinho music. Rode the bondinho - oldest bloody tram you'll see anywhere - from santa teresa to lapa which was an experience. Lapa is also the place where the locals party so obviously I was there that night. The women love to teach you to dance and forro dancing...oh good lord. <Borat> I Like! </Borat>. Also went tomangueira samba school one night. The band starts playing at midnight but we were there a couple of hours earlier to take some samba classes. So much fun.

These brazilians have so much energy. The band play from midnight to 6am!!! I was done by 3am or so but people were streaming in when we left. Just a big *** party and it's not just for adults. There were so many kids around.

[​IMG]

The beach soccer world cup had just started as well and I wanted to watch brazil play. But getting tickets was impossible so I settled for USA vs Iran. Not as good as watching brazil, but it was a good game. USA won 8-7. I badly wanted to watch a local game at the Maracana stadium but I missed out. Reason for me to go back.

Food all over was awesome - the churrascarias, cheese on a stick, moqueca do camarao, bobo do camarao, and acai which is sort of a slushy drink. I am not a drinker but I had to try caipirinha which is very popular.

[​IMG][​IMG]

My main concern travelling solo was possible boredom. But I met so many people at the hostels that I was hardly alone anytime. Most people I met were from Europe, but also a few from australia and canada. Interestingly, not a single person from the US. I won't even think twice about travelling alone anymore. In fact, I might actually prefer it since I have so much more flexibility this way. Found out about many other places and islands that I would like to visit but didn't have the time to. I definitely have to go back.

I never felt uncomfortable anywhere I went but I was careful and sensible. As long as I don't talk, I can pass off a local though so that helped. Brazilians are a fun loving, and a lazy bunch. There is a joke that says, the day the Christ of Redeemer claps his hand is the day Brazilians will start to work. Another true story..a friend of mine went to buy show lace..
    friend: do you have shoe lace?
    shopkeeper: don't have it but if you come tomorrow, i can have it for you.
    friend: but i am flying out tonight. I need it today.
    shopkeeper: huhhhhhh. <trudges 10 steps to the store room in the back and come out with shoe lace>!!!

Don't really know who works there. Beaches are packed on a wednesday afternoon. Not that I am complaining. They are lazy yet very active, if that makes sense. You'll see many people running, playing soccer, foot volleyball (which is ******* amazing to watch) or volley ball. They even close off one way of the road along the beach during weekends to make additional space for people to walk and bike. I love that place. Have I mentioned I want to go back?

If anyone is going and want info on hostels, attractions etc, feel free to pm me.

2. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

I didn't have time to read all of your text, but the photos are great... especially the falls.

I've heard similar things about the hostels; lots of people who will gladly buddy up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Longhorn_in_LA

Longhorn_in_LA 100+ Posts

Regarding the part of your story about when you went sight seeing (I read quickly, so could be mistaken) with 5 pretty girls is worthless without pictures. [​IMG]

4. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT 100+ Posts

i love threads like this

5. MidTexHorn

MidTexHorn 100+ Posts

I also love threads like this and I'm glad I inspired yours. Good stuff. Those waterfalls are amazing - never seen them before. Also, pics of the 5 Brazilian girls are mandatory if you're gonna mention them in the story.

6. Texan

Texan 25+ Posts

Awesome trip - extremely jealous!

7. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

haha..seriously, what was I thinking?? I know better than that.

Soccer and women..what else is Brasil about??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheerleaders..
    [​IMG]

riding the bondinho
    [​IMG]

8. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

Great post, thanks for sharing!

9. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Yes, very nice post. Pics were allsome! [​IMG]

10. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

What a great trip, great pics, great post.

11. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

12. Me So Horny

Me So Horny 100+ Posts

Great pics man. Looks like an amazing place, especially the view from that sugarloaf mountain. I've wanted to go there since I saw Blame it on Rio [​IMG]

I always wonder why you don't encounter more Americans under the age of 40 traveling around the world like you do the Euros, and Aussies, especially the Aussies. They have the right idea to me, travel while you're young and worry about everything else later.
    I just wish I had the time and money to do the same.

13. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

14. TEXumAS

TEXumAS 25+ Posts

Great pics! I've heard Ipanema is the place to be vs. Copacabana beach...is this true? PM me w/ any Rio advice you may have--might be there for 1-2 days in March.

15. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

Heading to Rio de Janeiro in late February (have alot of vacation plus airline miles). Got a good deal on a hotel near Ipanema. I figure I am going to hang out on the beach and drink plus hit all the tourist spots.

Any can't miss spots? Those pictures look amazing

16. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

My first two nights in Brazil ('04) were spent ta the Sol Impanema hotel looking out onto the beach. (Feb 10th & 11th) However, it was mid week (Tuesday day - Thursday day) and there wasn't much sight-seeing on the beach.

I didn't take any online prep courses for Portuguese, but what I found invaluable was when I went into a Bingo Parlor in Sao Paulo and spent an hour or two.

The numbers in Portuguese are VERY similar to Spanish, but they take some getting used to. So have number 1 through 99 (I think) being called out while the number is flashing on their big board helped me out tremendously for the rest of my trip.

Traveling around town with girls in bikinis is a great way to get to know the city. [​IMG]

17. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

I was looking around and there is a soccer game at Maracana. Probably going to hit that up, Christo, Sugarloaf, and downtown. Rest of the time will be spent with a beer in my hand on or around the beach.

18. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Great post. Looks like you had a blast.

19. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

20. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Forgot to put why we're going in 2014. World Cup.

21. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

how large was that spider kick? its hard to get perspective from the picture.

fantastic pictures.

22. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

i want to say, just the body, without stretching out the legs, was about 4-5 inches wide.

23. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

No pics from Help?
    J/J