Bristol Palin/ Levi Johnston engagement off

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by zzzz, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Lone Star

Lone Star 500+ Posts

2. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Classy, libs, classy. Of course, this is appropriate to gloat over for the West Mall, because Sarah Palin ran for VP, and her daughter's actions reflect on her character. My question is- who is doing a better job of raising children with character, since that's the topic- Biden or Palin?

Biden's son switched from lobbying to running a Hedge Fund

3. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

4. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

our pre-marriage councelor wisely said it is best to leave the business of the spouse's family to the spouse. Never attack the family of the spouse even if he/she is doing so mercilessly. Blood is pretty thick.

I hate to see couples breaking up whether they are young, old, R or D. Sad really.

5. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Sure, yo la du, there's nothing there. Lobbyists get to switch careers to running hedge funds all of the time. Novice hedge fund managers get to make big sales immediately all the time.

Stanford and Biden knew exactly what was going on. Stanford funneled a lot of money to Biden Jr.'s fund. If Stanford had not been arrested, in a few months he would have a photo of him with Joe Biden in his office, and be regaling "investors" with stories of his connections to the VP's family.

But hey, you keep running with this Bristol Palin story. I know it makes you feel good. That's why we see 70% of the posts (homage to Joe Biden) from last fall in the West Mall are about Sarah Palin.

6. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

7. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

This thread's a great example of the new fascist America. Anyone who dares criticize Obama is open season for attack in all aspects of our lives. It's ok to go after Joe the Plumber b/c his first name is Samuel, and it's ok to call Palin's daughter all sorts of names. And to top it all off, this is used as an example of how the main problem with people is that the government isn't nearly involved enough in intimate decision-making.

These are scary times, and most of you don't realize what's become of you.

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

It's really nobody's business but their own, and maybe their respective families, just like the Clintons. But there will always be some pious holier-than-thou types who condemn those who are not as perfect as themselves.

9. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

10. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

11. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

12. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

13. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

allweatherhorn...

I continue to be humbled by better posts that come directly after mine. (especially ones that make the point much better than i did). [​IMG]

14. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

Attacking a statement is not attacking a person, chief. There's no need to go personal - the statement speaks for itself.

15. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

16. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

17. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

I'm not sure why anyone takes Laphroaig10 seriously. His shtick is rather transparent. Enjoy it for what it is; mid-level baiting, (only in the mind of the originator, he imagines it to be intelligent and devious).

18. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

Using the case of B&L to refute the value of abstinence-only education, while possibly well-motivated, is fallacious. Anecdotal evidence in meaningless in a logical and scientific argument regarding millions of subjects.

"J the P" was legitimately exposed to debate by entering the fray himself, but he was illegally targeted by state officials. He is, in fact, an excellent example of government reprisal against those exercising their 1st amendment rights.

No one outside the family knows all the dynamics that went into B&L's breakup. Most relationships end for reasons other than natural death of a partner. It is no one's business on this board what these people do in their personal lives, no matter how much some may believe otherwise. Or would some here argue that poster's families' problems are fair game because the posters engaged in a form of public discourse?

President Washington tried to warn us about factionalization of our government, and he was right. Adults in Texas are trying seriously to argue the political ramifications of a called-off wedding between two Alaskan teenagers. When you are R or D first, you are a slave. Your mind is not free until you have no one "on the other side." It is a corollary of the fallacious nature of ad hominem argument that seems harder to grasp than the classic fallacy itself.

19. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Joe the Plumber is the victim of no one. Joe the plumber capitalized on the situation like a champ. He went from an out of work handyman's assistant, to media personality over night. If anyone is sorry for Joe, they just haven't been paying attention... he has courted everything which has come to him. You don't have to be happy for him, but it would be idiotic to bemoan his story.

The Bristol attacks were hackery. The reason why they won't die, though, is because at its core it does in fact illustrate a very cogent point... that you can preach abstinence and personal responsibility all you want, but a teenager is still a teenager. This is relevant only in as much as to expose that these abstinence programs simply don't work and are bad policy. Since Palin wasn't running with abstinence front and center, the attacks just end up being mean.

20. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

21. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

In reply to:

22. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

23. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I don't think the Republican Party, John McCain or Sara Palin put Bristol on a pedastool(sp). She was on stage with the rest of her family.

Unlike the Obama family at the Democratic convention or at the inagural(sp) parade.

The way these things always work out, it will be turned around sooner or later.

I like the way President Carter kept Amy out of the spotlight. The way President Clinton kept Chelse out of it. I even like the way the Bush daughters were not paraded in front of the media. Now the media sought them out, what can you do about that. Same thing is happening to Bristol and will happen to the Obama girls.

I say leave them all alone, they have enough crap to deal with.

24. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

25. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

Just another child of an unwed mother.

Other than that, who cares?

(Of course, since she chose not to have an abortion, that child could grow up to be president.)

What? It's happened before!

26. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

27. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

28. naijahorn

naijahorn 250+ Posts

What message would that be? She isn't even consistent on the issue of sex-education. She has waffled between endorsing abstinence-only education, then claiming she is fine with the use of condoms being taught in schools to once again endorsing abstinence-only education.

As to whether her messages are informed by her own experiences, she is free at anytime to open that to discussion and tell the public how her own experiences have led her to form a view on sex-education. This of course won't happen, because it is not enough to play the moral card for the GOP, they must do it while looking down on anyone else who dares suggest otherwise, and to allow that she herself is not the best example of a particular school of thought on sex-education is verboten. Humility is not a strong suit. It is the un-ending hypocrisy of the Right to forever lecture about the moral failings of others while engaging in the same acts for which they condemn others. Rinse and repeat.

29. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

30. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

As I stated before, the O girls' personal lives are not our concern. As I also stated, BP's personal life is not our business. I have read counteraccusations about other polticians' families, lame efforts to support a forensic value in the story, and any number of other side-issues.

This is a story about two teenagers calling off a wedding. Argue policy on the merits. Focus on issues, not opponents. Stop making excuses and demeaning yourselves in the name of politics and pulling down others. That may too much to ask on the WM, but I ask anyway.