Browns Columnist Says Colt May Not Make Team

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Zona Horn, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/its_a_whole_new_improved_world.html

Key quote at the end: "Players who appear to need good showings in the last two games to make the roster include linebacker David Veikune, tight ends Robert Royal and Alex Smith, running backs Chris Jennings and James Davis, quarterbacks Brett Ratliff and Colt McCoy, and receiver Carlton Mitchell."

Who knows what to make of this, but its a surprise. It may just be some muckraking, and its hedged with words like "opinion" and "appear".

That said, it would be surprising for a 3rd round pick (especially a QB) to get cut. Its pretty easy to park them 3rd on the depth chart and let them learn for a year (unless they are only planning on keeping 2 QBs).

I'd be interested if anyone has any more knowledge on this. Colt is probably my favorite Longhorn ever (ditto for my two sons), so we are all rooting for him to succeed. If he gets the right opportunity, I know he will.

2. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

NFL radio laughing about this.
    The quote was "Gruden wants him as his QB there next year".

3. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

How did the discussion on NFL Radio go and who was involved?

4. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Not.Going.To.Happen.

(at least not this year) He won't be cut.

5. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

They said they drafted him to hold the clipboard and learn from the sidelines this year. So, it seems illogical they would cut him.

6. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

they are going to keep at least 3 qbs on roster.

who all do they have right now?

7. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

The articles from this writer say Delhomme and Wallace are 1-2, and both have looked pretty good (relatively speaking). If they are going to keep 3, it sounds like Colt's competition is the otehr guy mentioned above, whom I've never heard of.

Again, I suspect this guy is mostly just trying to stir up a little controversey and generate page hits, but who knows. Maybe one of the coaches is trying to light a fire under Colt by planting this story.

I like the idea of Gruden coming in and coaching Colt next year. Better than what they have there now.

8. PropositionJoe

so it basically comes down to him outplaying bret ratliff.

also, if he doesnt make the 3 deep, he would very easily be signed to the practice squad.

9. bevaux

bevaux 250+ Posts

Colt will make the Browns. He is Holmgrem's guy and he picked him for the future. Colt has hardly even played and when he did he was with the 3rd team line and they caved on him, badly. That said, he ha a lot to learn..as everyone expected. Bradford is the one I feel for. He is getting thrown to the wolves and is not ready. I fear they will ruin his career.

There will be a change in Cleveland coming, but it won't be Colt leaving. They will have a new head coach next year.

10. NorthCoastHorn

NorthCoastHorn 500+ Posts

11. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

If Jake Delhomme is your number 1, you got problems.

Colt with a couple years experience cant be any worse than that. Holmgren is running that show anyway.

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The Browns have a lot of problems regardless of who is at QB.

13. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

The Browns aren't going to cut a QB they drafted in what, the 3rd round. Ridiculous. They are going to tutor him for a year in the very least and see what he develops into.

14. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

I heard on 104.9 about the conflict between Mangini and McCoy. I don't know how true this is but its been suggested that McCoy was dressed down by him in front of the whole team. Mangini seems like a Jersey megalomaniac "my way or the highway" type like Bill Parcells without the SB wins. But Holmgren seems to have Colt's back so I doubt he'll get cut and Mangini will be out anyways.

15. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

16. idahohorn

idahohorn 250+ Posts

No way in hell Colt will ever do anything to anybody that would deserve him being dressed down period. I cant think of even one time Colt did or said anything to make me think otherwise. Wow

17. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

There is a reason the Browns have never played in a Super Bowl. Cutting Colt would confirm that is not going to change anytime soon.

They are idiots.

18. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

I think the plan, as with McGee at Dallas, is for him to be a clipboard jockey. If McCoy blossoms into another Brady or Schaub then great, but if not, he'll always be a solid back-up guy you can send in to protect a lead.

I don't think the Browns drafted Colt with the idea he'd be their Peyton Manning.

19. PropositionJoe

i've heard mangini is a total assface.

i can believe that rumor.

20. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

You would think he would have one source for an article like this. But now it's linked off of Yahoo, so I guess the writer got what he wanted. No way he gets cut. He's going to do exactly what they drafted him to do this year and that's learn.

21. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Just not credible, no team cuts a third round draft pick in camp, you just dont. Not after paying him guaranteed money which if I am not mistaken has already been paid out as a signing bonus and cant be recouped. Not even the Browns are that dumb. This is Mangini trying to get a leg up while fighting with Holmgren.

22. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

23. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

24. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

I wouldn't be surprised that Holmgren would fire Mangini if he goes 0-5 and makes himself the interim coach. I think it could happen if Mangini tries to cut Colt and Holmgren overrules him. Then Mangini loses credibility and players quit on him.

25. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/cleveland_browns_colt_mccoy_wi.html

Same paper says today he will make the team. There's a big difference in a first round pick expecting to start and getting most of the reps in practice and a guy like Colt that is expected to carry a clipboard. He's not going to get the reps necessary to be ready for at least 2 years. First article was a joke to begin with.

26. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

27. Desert__Scar

Desert__Scar 100+ Posts

I'd be happy if he was cut so he could sign up somewhere else. I don't like the Browns & they suck in addition.

28. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

agreed

Minnesota is not Favre from needing a new quarterback

29. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

/

Don't think Colt would even come close to beating out Tavaris Jackson right now

30. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Texas Jack, seriously. are you basing your thinking Colt is in danger on anything besides this article and a poor preseason? Was anyone expecting differently. When guys like Elway complete < 50% of their passes and get benched twice. Aikman and Bradshaw totally sucked. Only QB I can remember having a good rookie year was Marino. Holmgren has no expectations for Colt this year besides learning. And as Colt isn't getting starters reps that is going to take even longer. He'll be given a chance for the Browns. You don't pull knee jerk reactions from the preseason of a rookie QB drafted in the 3rd round.

I hope he does get released so the Cowboys can put him on the practice squad, but it's not going to happen.