Buck Burnette kicked off team

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MeaHorn, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Must've been bad. From all accounts of his Wimberley friends/teachers, I always figured he was one of the standup dudes on the team. Guess something must have changed since then.

3. Extra Large

Extra Large 250+ Posts

99% of the time "Violation of team rules" means that they popped positive on a piss test.

It's almost always weed.

After the past year and a half, Mack is not playing with this kind of thing.

4. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

5. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

I guess David Snow is our backup center now?

6. MGriff27

MGriff27 25+ Posts

Apparently, it had something to do with a racist remark he left on facebook last night regarding the election.

7. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

8. someone

someone 250+ Posts

"Apparently, it had something to do with a racist remark he left on facebook last night regarding the election. "

If that is a joke, its not funny.

If that isn't a joke, then that's just sad.

9. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Well if that the case why not just let the 50 or so AA players on the team beat his *** every day in practice. Actually I understand. That is one of thsoe WTF moments. I hope he remains on scholarship at least until december so at least he has a future.

10. someone

someone 250+ Posts

wow. That's just dumb and f'n dumb.

May seem kinda harsh but I'm glad that Mack kicked him off the team.

11. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

12. Extra Large

Extra Large 250+ Posts

Wow.

That would be the 1% of the time that it's not smoking weed.

Kicking him off the team is the right move. There is no more certain way to divide a locker room than to have a race issue. Quick, swift punishment. The right way to go.

13. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

If it is true....don't want or need that type of person representing this fine University in any way.

14. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

Good... if coach back players like that, then he'd have a huge controversy that would f**k the rest of the season up... even if the guy made a mistake, and coach Brown forgave him, he knew that was the only thing he could do...

15. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

Very sad and very stupid. That sort of comment guarantees that Buck's online traffic will be monitored by the Secret Service.

16. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Kids do stupid things and this is certainly one of them. He probably isn't a racist, or a bad kid, but there is some underlying issue for anyone to do something like that. I think he said it when in his apology he mentioned and I paraphrase, living on a ranch and being exposed to that kind of thing.

This is a tough situation. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to let all of the African-American players vote on whether he should remain on the team. Perhaps they did.

17. FALL 94

FALL 94 < 25 Posts

I wonder what the "team rule" is that he violated. The after the fact apologies always annoy me. Nobody believes them anyway. Is it just that people say this stuff while really drunk and regret it when they sober up?

18. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

Not a tough decision at all. I hope the young man means his apology and realizes how stupid that was on several levels.

19. Horn89

Horn89 1,000+ Posts

Really stupid, and a tragedy for him.

But I agree that no one who would write that kind of thing can represent the university. Don't think the coaches had any choice, no matter whether he's otherwise a good citizen/good student.

It sucks for all parties involved, but that's how it's got to be.

20. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Pretty stupid comment - pretty harsh penalty. I'm not saying the punishment doesn't fit the crime, but I think an indefinite suspension might have been the better way to go.

21. Utkclack15

Utkclack15 100+ Posts

If he was allowed to stay on the team this would be used in negative recruiting. In fact it is still going to be used in negative recruiting.

22. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

23. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

It's all the more ironic when you zoom in and read about his interests.

24. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

[​IMG] I am sorry for the kid, he will be mised and we needed him. He has no one to blame but himself. The team sure doesn't need this kind of "stuff" or distraction.

25. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

Clearly, what he said he was stupid and needed to be disciplined in some way. However, we have to look at some other things in this case. If people are not allowed to get on certain young players for not making certain plays becasue of thier "youth", how is this any different? The kid is young and said something stupid in the heat of the moment and properly aplogized. Did the punishment fit the crime? Does ones personal matters that ARE NOT ILLEGAL demand addressing?

On facebook last night, several black UT football players also had comments about Obama being elected and being black and how "were going to paint the White House black". This is just as racist as what Buck said. When I saw what these players had posted I was legitamely pissed and wanted to say something to them. They have no right to say anything of the such if Buck cannot say anything.

Obviously, there is a double standard here. No one should have voted based on race. If one did make a vote based on race, this grants that the individual is racist- no matter if they are black or white.

Buck should have been repremanded, but the others should have also. This is total ignorance IMHO.

26. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

27. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

There's a big difference in calling someone a derogatory and offensive slur along with an implied physical threat and comments about "painting the white house black".

28. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

29. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

If he's in violation of team rules, then so be it. Something like this could definitely divide a locker room and would certainly not be good for recruiting. What an absolutely stupid and reprehensible thing to do.

With that said, a few things do pop into my head:

1. Haven't some of our black players gotten in trouble for posting inappropriate stuff on their facebook/myspace pages as recently as 2007? I seem to recall some players had some racially insensitive comments on their pages.

2. How can a coach justify kicking a player off the team for something such as this (as bad as it is), but suspend a player for just 1 game after endangering his life and the lives of others earlier this season?

3. Other players have been arrested for such things as DUI, assault, drugs and freaking weapons charges and received lighter punishment.

Seems like an interesting time to start enforcing a 'zero-tolerance' policy. I wonder if the same punishment would have applied to other players on the team?

30. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

I agree not even close to being the same. He pretty much said lets get linch mob together and kill someone bc of the color of their skin. Painting the white house black is dumb but not really offensive to anyone