Burn it down!!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Nov 14, 2021.

1. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

1:40 in the video. Looks like Texas #16(?), DE, can't get off his block AND takes a terrible angle. We should have sacked him or disrupted the throw. Our guys aren't good. I am not arguing the guy who caught the pass should have been covered better. Why is anyone else here arguing that the supposedly superior Texas players were manhandled at the line? Jesus.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Focus on our #14. He with our other corner on the far side (top of the screen) both got hung up on one Kansas player who CLEARLY blocked #14 while flounder did a quick cut across the field.

Also, it's possible that #16 was slightly held but you are correct on his angle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. horninchicago

Yes, if 16 would have come straight up and held contain, like most of us growing up learned to do around age 8, the play would have ended up differently, most likely.

A crap show of a play and game really.

4. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I respect you, too, Sabre.
    But it seems we do disagree.
    I will only say to me it is like a spouse whose wife or husband has been trying to get them to see something about themselves for years but they still are in denial.
    One of the things noted most about our program and surrounding fanbase by outsiders is the destructive, undermining force of negativity, criticism, lack of support, arrogance, and being quick to anger and remove support...basically impossible to please at this point...We have a fanbase that is very quick to turn on players and coaches and become unreasonable and be part of the problem. No one can perform well under the kinds of circumstances surrounding our program right now and while I'm old school and will be the first to question attitudes of some of these young men I think the fanbase is in at least as much of severe need of an attitude adjustment.
    I'm not the spouse here in the story, by the way. I am a neighbor who hears the spouse and knows all the friends and others in the surrounding community (opposing programs, media, coaches, recruits, other players) and hears them say the same things and express the same views I have formed as a neighbor. But, yeah...there is nothing to it...
    "It is them not me" and they are all wrong the other spouse says.
    I get it...a lot of people here dont wont to admit it...dont like the thought.
    But I have enough knowledge and exposure to other programs and fanbases,also, to form an opinion...And my personal view is, while many fanbases are aweful..that is true...I see many more who in my opinion retain a much higher level of respect, encouragement, support, and a healthier spirit if you will...just seems like there is a healthier fan culture (I'm speaking outside of the stadium here). That is just my personal view.
    And on the recruiting..I'll just say one thing...
    With all due respect, Sabre..really.
    ALOT has changed in recruiting since those days and coaches and other influencers absolutely use this against us and we have had plenty of recent examples....This word flows out continuously these days on us and even right from recruits own mouths. But, nah...there's nothing to it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I don't think it's just us. Look at OU. Their fans are about to run Lincoln Riley out of town because he lost to Baylor and the team has been winning but not winning big. On the air today they said LR is rumored to seriously be considering the LSU gig.

I will say it's just about any fan base who has had success demands more success. Alabama almost sent Nick Saban to us because they lost two games one year. We know how tOSU fans act when they lose.

Fans are unreasonable all over yet somehow other programs figure out how to ignore fans and win except us. Everyone is laughing at us because the spot light is on us but this behavior happens all over winning programs.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RainH2burntO

Fair enough.
    Good post.
    They key there is the "somehow other programs figure out how to ignore fans and win except us"

Maybe Austin attracts the sensitive types lol

Like your post..reasonable...I still think we have problems in overall culture, fans included.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

100% agree. Maybe I'm part of the problem because I have zero acceptance of 4-6 or maybe 4-8 at the end of the year. Emotionally I'm not exactly sure how I should handle this because if I had an entire year performing like this I'd definitely lose my job. Maybe if it were my first year I would get a grace period but by the end of year 2 I would certainly be toast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. horninchicago

Fans aren't the problem. It's the refs.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. RainH2burntO

That's a load of crap..we all know its the lockers.
    When Herman took that first swing and whiffed should have known it was a sign
    :lmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

My concern about Texas fans, while acknowledging we are quick to turn sour, is we definitely are not as demonstrable in our support as other fan bases. While it was 20 years ago it always impressed me the decked out cars - flags, magnets, etc. I used to see heading to Knox for game day weekend. Texas tailgating is still good and friendly but since all the construction nothing like it once was. Is San Jacinto still as active? I don’t make it down there since opting for a parking pass closer to stadium but it used to be great.
    Regardless I cannot blame the player’s performance on the fan base. I expected a sparse crowd for Kansas but, while not full it was closer than I thought and very boisterous. I just don’t see how we could be the demotivating factor here. Say what you will TH got them to perform despite all the ill with which we’ve credited him. So why has everything imploded under Sark? I don’t get it. This is a performance none of us expected. Last weeks game was darn exciting - - until you remember who we were playing.

11. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

The play that kills me is when KU got the first down on 3rd and 7 in OT by using a QB sneak. How is it possible to allow a 7 yard running play in a compressed field in OT? On the 2 pt conversion, I was not happy but I did not find that play nearly as unacceptable as the third down conversion. Anyway, staff got the kiss of death the other day as Del Conte showed his support

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I mentioned that in the game thread. Only Texas has the ability to allow a slow-developing QB draw to just ramble along for 7+ yards before pulling him down in a situation that could have easily won the game if we stopped him. But, we had umpteen opportunities like that on Saturday where one play here or one play there could have won it. This team doesn't have the mental wherewithal for analyzing those instances, and I'd be shocked if any of them spent time in the video room going over it.

13. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

Hard to argue much of this. But, most schools have plenty of unreasonable/nutjob fans. The OU example above. A&M all day. I have a buddy who is a Georgia fan who lost his **** when they gave up a garbage time TD up 41-10 ranked clear #1. Fanatics. In defense of our nutjobs, we were once great, we have the resources to be great again but we have been lost in a **** filled swamp of mediocrity for so long it is hard to stay patient. And we lost to Kansas. Again.

14. RainH2burntO

Interesting what you say about not as demonstrable. I believe Cowboys fans have changed in recent years...different crowd...but they were accused for years of being hand-sitting fans...and many view UT that way it seems. Like they are watching something there purely for their own entertainment and service and not the other way around I guess.
    I don't know for sure just thinking about what you said and a perception I've heard from others. Not sure what I think but I could see that I suppose in our fanbase - at games etc.

15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Put a good product on the field and the fans will show up and support the team.

Put a s*** show out there and they won’t. Instead, they will and should be brutally critical.

At Texas we expect to win, and we expect to be competitive. Like Sark said when he took
    the job and many times since, including Monday, he understood the expectations.

The fans should be up in arms. We just lost to freakin’ Kansas at DKR.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

We have been "not good" to terrible for damn near a decade, and I am ready to try something different. Keep the BMDs and fans out of the decision making process and give these guys three full years. If we are still terrible after 2023, purge it ALL! At least then, Texas can show they have room to give the next guy some time!

The coaching carousel HAS to stop. We will never, EVER, compete in the SEC when we're changing staff every damn year or two!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Maybe... coaching carousel at Alabama is pretty severe also, but somehow Saban still finds a way to win with guys who mostly have been fired from their previous jobs. Of course his coaches are selected and not kicked to the curb after one or two years.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Their success is due mostly to the incredible recruiting

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yup. The Bank of the Crimson Tide is fully funded and functioning. (It is an $EC tradition.)

20. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I think where we are is we have some players who have quit listening to the coaches, and we have some coaches that are just done with the players who won't do that they are asked. We are just going to have to ride this out, reshuffle the player deck next year, and then try again. I do not want to fire any coaches, I just think at this point we've done all of that we can for a while. Any more and it will just make things worse IMO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Part of me wonders if some of the problem has to do with Sark being too nice of a guy. To be fair, we don’t attend the practices so we don’t know much about his methodology or antics. He may be a hard ***, but I have to wonder.

Had I been the head coach after Iowa State, I might’ve told the players in the locker room, with plenty of Bo Davis type passion, something like the following.

“Guys, the effort I saw tonight was pathetic. Piss poor. Embarrassing.

Here’s what we’re going to do going forward. We’re not going to practice tomorrow, and we’re not gonna practice Monday. Take the EFFING time off to get your head straight.

If you want to play football — IF YOU WHAT TO PERFORM LIKE A CHAMPION — then show up on Tuesday. If you show up, I will expect you to give 100% both in effort and in mind share. If you can’t do that, quit the team and we will find players that give a crap. Let me repeat that. If you show up Tuesday, I will expect you to be passionate and prepared to work your a** off.

We’re not going to game plan for Kansas. If you guys aren’t good enough to beat Kansas, then you shouldn’t be playing college football at the University of Texas. Is that clear?

So I guess we’ll find out Tuesday - once we see who shows up, who gives a damn about this program, wants to play football, and how many winners we actually have.”

• Like Like x 1
  22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Well, he had a confrontation with a talented WR leading to said player hitting the portal.
    This on the heels of a poor performance by the WR.
    I have a feeling Sark is a little different on the practice field than at the podium.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I think immediately getting rid of players who dont buy in is possibly even more important. Like his mentor Belichick, Saban does not mind having some guys around with questionable character issues as long as they give 100%. The moment they dont give 100%, they are gone. My perception is Sark is not taking this approach. Neither do not think Davis is taking this approach otherwise funny boys on bus would have been kicked off the team on the bus which is what I think is needed desperately.

24. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

I think it's just the opposite. I think he's holding players accountable, not only for their mistakes in the game, but their preparation for the game. And the softies don't like being told they aren't superstars. So they've checked out. Good riddance. I think Sark is a decent guy and he's not going to name names publicly. But he can't wait to get rid of some of these guys.

Just an opinion. No facts to back it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

In addition to the other comments, Bama has had the same head coach so even if the overall scheme may change a bit from coordinator to coordinator, overall the coaching style and design stay the same.

26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Consistency is everything. I have never once heard from the local media that they have hard and grueling practices with a lot of accountability. Not in spring nor fall camps. These things will come out no matter how private you are in practices and meetings through player tweets, parent tweets, etc.

If you hold people accountable from day one and are consistent you rarely see teams revolt. If you're a nice guy then become an *** when you lose four straight the team can see right through that and will revolt.

You're right I'm not there, but we would have heard about these things much earlier if he really believed this was not a good team and were coaching them hard.

27. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Nothing else to say but burn it down. This is a bad West Virginia team. They look dominant today.

Burn it down

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

This is the worst Texas team that I have unfortunately ever witnessed. How in the hell are people defending Sark? What has anyone seen which makes them think Sark has a clue? Meanwhile OU wins the conference again. I will repeat, as Meyer said about Herman (paraphrase) it is chicken poop to blame it on the players or on someone elses players. Lamest excuse ever and it seems that many on this board are buying it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I’m afraid I have come, finally, to the same conclusion. Doesn’t mean I can do a blasted thing about it but I can smell something when it stinks. And this smell largely wafts from the coaching staff. This team should have more wins with Casey or Card, personally I prefer Casey but that’s just a personal opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  30. RainH2burntO

I have a hard time seeing ou beat osu next week...very possible of course...but I'd go 60-40 LSU based on what they both look like. We'll see if osu can overcome the mental aspect but they clearly look like the better football team right now. First time I've ever thought that.
    Though it may not matter as bu could go down tonight