Caleb Williams to the Portal... keeps open option to return to OU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LHABSOB, Jan 3, 2022.

?

For the 2022 season Caleb Williams will be the QB at

Poll closed Jan 10, 2022.
  1. Oklahoma

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. USC

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Georgia

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Response from Venables and Castiglione...

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anybody who thinks Caleb Williams wrote or said those words, please call. I don't want to sell you a bridge, but I would like to sell you the land it sits on.

That release smacks of "I'VE GOT AN AGENT". I know OU wants to win and is willing to cheat to do it, but you cannot build a program around a star player who is likely to be declared ineligible at any moment for dealing with or being paid by an agent, even if the guy is street scum, which all these street agents are.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  4. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Wants to find out just how deep those Big Red pockets are.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I chalk this up to "nothing to see here except some NIL offers." My guess is that he just wants to see what his buddies are making elsewhere before he inks with any Podcasting company or whatever.

6. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Pandora, please call home. Your box called NIL has popped open and all kinds of strange critters are flying out. We have asked the sorcerer’s apprentice to look in to closing it but he only seems to make it worse. I don’t understand how a bunch of teens could misstep in such a fashion

and the adults also seem bereft of their faculties. The playoff system produced two mismatches and the grownups think the solution is to let ESPN expand the playoff to 8, 12 or maybe 16 teams So we can get to Bama v Georgia a month later

whatever happened to leaving good enough alone? Money. Lots of it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Wouldn’t it be nice if just once a school told a player toying with them to, in a nice way, go get F*****? (And perhaps OU has done that, or will.)

Unless someone can make a case to change my thinking, I wouldn’t want this kid on my team, regardless of his talent level.

Is Caleb Williams bigger than one of the greatest football programs in the history of college football? Apparently.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Funny how social media was in a tizzy this week when Kobie McKinzie went to work and trashed Texas for discussing $$$ in his recruiting process. Should we tell Caleb that Kobie just vouched for him?

• Like Like x 1
  9. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I do feel this is more of a ploy to get $$$ from the Sooner Nation.
    So now portaled players list their current university as a potential landing spot?

I think this was prophesied in Revalations . The worlds gone mad, get right with God folks. The end is near.

And YES- my heart would be full if OU publically stated that they wanted Williams to stay, but felt it’s best and encouraged his immediate transfer.
    His dorm room would be emptied and good luck finding a ride back to Cali.
    This is complete BS.

Great point 11. OL Kobie will be right there with him if he sits for a year and a half.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  10. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

So...has Sark talked with him yet?

• poop poop x 3
  11. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I really doubt that paying players will create success in college football programs. More coddling and spoiling will create more quit, less discipline and less coachable players.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I am counting on this.
    I am sincerely shocked by this. How can you be a leader to a group of guys after pulling a stunt like this? No way he goes back to Norman and tries to be a teams guy. Players who play as hard as this kid and get zip NIL will despise him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  13. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

With the money involved today, good players will portal after every season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Another tough break for OU.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

My heart is broken.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  16. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I saw enough at the State Fair in October to know I would take him on our team. How is what Caleb doing any different than Ewers?

NIL and the Portal are making a clear mess of the sport I have loved for years. But it's the current world today. I think the "Horns with Hearts" NIL deal shows we are going to get in the dirt and learn how to win with these rules vs watching and letting opportunities pass us by.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Yeah, just like when NFL players started getting paid.

• Hot Hot x 2
  18. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Well they just flipped Dillon Gabriel from UCF (originally transferred and committed to UCLA) so they must know Caleb is gone. Gabriel wouldn’t go there to be a backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  19. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I think most suspected he would portal to USC.

• Like Like x 2
  20. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Funny how the Sooner Nation is having a meltdown on this whilst Hurts, Murray and Mayfield have slipped their minds on being former inbound transfer players.
    And how happy they are that the UCF QB portaled to them.

I hate this crap. It’s going to ruin college football and no, it’s not like free agency. Players can leave at any time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

The portal rule is everyone gets one free transfer out. Then, subsequent portals have to be approved by the NCAA? Is that right?

22. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

I hope he leaves. He's a good player and I hate him. The dude from UCF might be a great player but I don't hate him..........Yet.

• Funny Funny x 3
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Most people are one-sided like that. They are an extremely emotional and immature fanbase. They don't care if they cheat to win. They only want to win because they get a sexual charge out of the exploits of mercenary strangers.

I want us to win but I like to think I'm rational about it.

Years ago I communicated with the late Dandy Don (ran a website like this one for LSU; his son now mans the helm) about why the LSU fanbase was so giddy about Ryan Perilloux jilting Texas at the last minute. I asked if he didn't think Ryan showed signs of severe immaturity (which as we all know played out). He simply responded: "The fans here are very emotional about the team."

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

“The Dude” has over 8000 yards and 70 TD’s in 26 games. There might be some room to hate when the zero u goes on the helmet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

26. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Lets face it these are pro players. They want to go where they can get the best money. The same could and probably has with Ewers. Caleb will go to Usc with Riley. I cant blame him for that. Maybe we should consider what goes on behind the scenes with Texas before we blame others for cheating. College football is gone. Just get use to the new free agency of this sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't consider this to be cheating. It's within the rules. Cheating is what got OU 7 trophies.

The next step is to either reign in the transfer portal rules or get the players to sign contracts.

28. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

I am not sure anyone knows what the rules are now. They seem to be constantly changing. The rule is,make as much money as you can while you can.

29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'd say you're spot-on. Within the rules of NIL and unlimited transfer portals, this is the gold rush. Now is the time to strike because I'm sure someone will try to put a brake on this stuff (at least the transfers). Someone is telling the players that this is a unique time and they are lucky to be able to capitalize on a raw situation with many unknowns that will be mitigated or sorted out in future years. Human nature will be affirmed and the trend will be countered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  30. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

This is the reason I can't get excited about the big highly-rated recruits coming here anymore. Who knows if they'll actually sign or even stay once they're on campus?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1