Can anyone justify NOT having the Wall?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horn6721, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Those who are illegal can still be deported even if they have children who are US citizens. However, the deportation authorities understand the dilemma and try not to prioritize deporting people in this situation, so yes, the system does incentivize malfeasance. Can they get benefits? Yes and no. The parents can't directly get welfare, but they can get welfare that's designed to benefit the children, which is a lot. Accordingly, mom will be able to have babies on Medicaid. WIC and food stamps will be available to the kids. Kids will be allowed to attend public schools for free. If they're creative, they can also hustle the EIC.

If the parents actually do get deported (which does happen especially if one of the parents is caught doing something criminal), the US citizen children will either stay with family or enter the foster care system. It's a bad situation.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  3. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

How is that not a violation of the 1997 Flores agreement?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The Flores act doesn't address US citizen children.
    The Supremes held that:
    "alien juveniles detained on suspicion of being deportable may be released only to a parent, legal guardian, or other related adult."

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Apparently liberals consider the act of reporting this type crime fact/statistic to be racism in and of itself. So they ignore it, pretend it never happened. They do this with a lot of things.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the clarification Deez. Your explanation connected the dots. What I know about Immigration Law and procedure wouldn't fill a thimble, but it's probably just enough to be dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    The best solution would seem that children go with their parents wherever their parents go.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I agree, but we can't deport a US citizen.

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

?? WE would not be deporting them. The parents would be taking their children with them.

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If the child or its legal guardian has no choice in the matter, then it's a deportation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

That is why law is so limited. Common sense says the child goes with the parents. It makes sense that we don't deport citizens, but there are always cases where the law as written doesn't make sense.

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Well, to be more precise, we're applying an overbroad law to a situation that the law's authors never anticipated. The birthright citizenship clause was intended to eliminate the states' ability to deny citizenship to freed slaves, but they also wanted to deny the states a role in determining citizenship in general.

What they didn't anticipate is that we'd have a 40-year period in which we would have legal roadblocks to residency and citizenship but de facto open borders. Ultimately that is what led to this dilemma.

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

The parents have a choice vis a vis their child. If they have children they brought illegally into our country they can't leave them here. Why would it be any different for a child born here ? Children belong in most cases with their parents.

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You're making the argument for why parents shouldn't illegally move to the US and why it's bad judgment. However, none of that has any legal bearing on our ability to deport the child who is a US citizen.

Yes, children are generally kept with parents. However, when the parents are forcibly moved somewhere, we don't usually require the children to go with them if they aren't also subject to that same removal. For example, if a parent is thrown in the slammer, we don't toss the kids in the slammer to keep them together. We put them with other family or foster care. Same thing happens with deportation.

Also, it isn't necessarily the parent's choice to bring the kids home. It depends on the citizenship laws in the parent's home country.

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Are there any countries who would not allow a child of a parent in?

16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Parents should have ultimate sovereignty over their children. If they are getting deported they should be able to decide if they come with them or stay in the country with someone else.

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

In some situations, probably so. Obviously most illegal aliens are Mexicans, and this isn't a problem there, because Mexico recognizes dual citizenship. The child can be a US citizen for being born in the US and a Mexican citizen for being born to Mexican parents and can go to Mexico.

However, there are countries that don't have dual citizenship. Accordingly, if the child is born a US citizen, he may not be a citizen of his parent's nation. Does that mean he never can become one? No, but it's not automatic. The parents can't just show up and bring their kid back.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    So you are saying a family native to a country could not go back to their country and bring their child with them!
    Which country?

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm not saying they definitely cannot. I'm saying that it isn't automatic. They would have to apply and wait (and possibly be denied), and the child would have to renounce his US citizenship. As for which country, it's going to vary according to specifics, but it's going to be an issue for any country that doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Cuba, China, Venezuela are examples, but there are many more.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Actually that does not seem to be true MrD. Apparently it is automatic

"According to the U.S. Embassy, “The Government of Cuba does not recognize the U.S. nationality of U.S. citizens who are Cuban-born or are the children of Cubanparents.” Yes, you read that right. Cuba’s government will label you a full-blown Cuban even if you were born on U.S. soil.

Venezuelan nationality law - Wikipedia
    Citizenship by birth
    A child born outside Venezuela to parents who are both Venezuelans by birth.

Child born in the U. S. to a Chinese Parent
    According to the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China, any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality.

22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'd like for the wall to go across the US Mexican border and then turn and follow the California border.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Open Borders crowd has a new set up along the TX-Mexico line

[​IMG]

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm googling this stuff just like you are. I can't speak for what ever country in the world would do. I'm not sure how nations that reject dual citizenship would gravy citizenship to someone who already has foreign citizenship without that person rejecting that foreign citizenship. It doesn't add up.

However, even if every child born in the US could go to their parents home nations as citizens, I'm not going to be ok with deporting US citizens who have done nothing illegal or wrong. It would be unconstitutional.

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

• I am sure there are some countries that do not accept children not born in their country. The 3 you mentioned however do accord citizenship to children born of citizen.
    • I agree.I have never said we should deport anchor babies . We should not deport citizens. But parents taking their children with them is not deporting. It is parents doing what most parents do and should do.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That isn't the issue. The issue is whether or not they will accept them even after they have become US citizens. That's a separate matter. I'm not totally sure of the answer. I'm just saying that the lack of dual citizenship presents complications. It's not clean cut.

But is it always? Let's suppose you're a banana picker in Honduras and know that you'll basically never make more than about $12 per day and that your kid has no significant opportunity to break out of that cycle. However, suppose your kid can legally live in the US with a trusted aunt and uncle. They're not rich by US standards but are top two percent by Honduran standards. Your kid will complete school, have a chance to attend college, get a good job, and have a decent life. Is making the kid go live in a dump in Honduras and shovel **** for the rest of his life really the best thing for him? I think that's certainly debatable.

27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Can the aunt and uncle care for the child without any taxpayer assistance?
    If so that is different than taxpayers being on the hook for all expenses of the child which I would bet is the case for most anchor babies left here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

If those idiots had any sense of humor they’d have a bottle of Corona in their hand.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Is that the difference-maker? So if you're the parent, you'd have your US citizen child live in squalor and shovel **** for the rest of his life, because he might be on Medicaid for a few years if he stays in the US? I'm glad you're not my dad. Lol

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Look it would be wonderful if we could lift every single person in the world out of squalor, We can't. This is a reality.So the illegal who snuck in and got deported goes back to whatever he/she did before like the other millions who did not break our laws.
    I would rather our benefits go to people here rather than to take care of someone whose parents broke our law and gamed our system.