Can the ref stand over the ball until the play clock expires?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I attempted to find the rule but what I found did not answer my question.

During the OSU Tulsa game Tulsa made a substitution. OSU then began slowly parading onto the field at least half of the team. When the ref marked the ball ready for play there was three seconds on the play clock and Tulsa had to use a timeout.

Can a ref actually stand over the ball allowing substitutes until the play clock expires?

Methinks this rule needs tweaking.

On another play OSU called a timeout in what seemed like one second before Tulsa snapped the ball. The play resulted in a touchdown.

Also needs a teweak?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I saw the same thing.... could slow this hurry up sub issue.
    If I was a D coordinator I always thought, shoot the officials give the D time to react..., so why run your D subs out in an unorganized panic ?

I have always thought that is an unreasonable rule as the O knows who they are subbing out while the D has to somehow VERY quickly determine what Offensive Package is running out and lining up....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

actual rule, Team A is offense, Team B is defense:

When Team A sends in its substitutes, the officials will not allow the ball to be snapped until Team B has been given an opportunity to substitute. While in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, Team A is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage with the obvious attempt of creating a defensive disadvantage. If the ball is ready for play, the game officials will not permit the ball to be snapped until Team B has placed substitutes in position and replaced players have left the field of play. Team B must react promptly with its substitutes.

PENALTY—(First Offense)—Dead-ball foul. Delay of game on Team B for not completing its substitutions promptly, or delay of game on Team A for causing the play clock to expire. Five yards from the succeeding spot [S21]. The referee will then notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in an unsportsmanlike conduct foul.

PENALTY—(Second or more offense)—Dead-ball foul, team unsportsmanlike conduct. An official will sound his whistle immediately. 15 yards from the succeeding spot

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Never seen these enforced, although I've seen the "purposefully take forever with the substitutions to force offense to get a penalty or call time" tactic dozens of times.

It's like the "'accidentally' take too long to get off of players after the play's dead, so they can't get up and back to the huddle as fast, so the offense wastes more time in the final minute" tactic. Supposed to be a delay of game, but it's never called.

5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree Stat, in fact I would confess if sworn to the truth, that I have bemoaned the fact the Herman did not use the tact a few times. Like you I’ve seen the delay by the defense but never seen it called. On the other hand I guess most teams are not as devious as am I.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Thanks

7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Tulsa did it to themselves.... terrible clock management all game. Sub ur players earlier if you don’t want to be in that spot.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Problem is you basically have to sub with over 20 seconds left, because the defense can just have the guys furthest from their sideline lackadaisically walk across the field while the coach pretends to scratch his head about who to send in to replace them.

9. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the rule Envgeo. Of course it happens every game but I do not remember a ref letting the clock run that low. Tulsa could not possibly have snapped the ball. I bet penalties will start being called or the rule changed. Team A taking too long is a problem. Guess I will be paying more attention to it.