Candidates for our new assistant head coaching vacancy

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When I read "Texas Legend", I do think former Longhorn. But, could it be someone who didn't actually play at Texas, but is a legend who played/coached in the state of Texas, or are from Texas?

And, when I see the "Royalty to many" tweet, that really signifies someone special.

Could it be John Lucas? I think he conducts some girls' hoops tournament/clinics in the Houston area every summer.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Can the state of Texas claim Tamika Catching as a legend even though she only played at Duncanville one season after moving from Illinois?

• Like Like x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, that's nine years of WNBA experience for Tiffany plus most likely some overseas experience as well. Nice timing if she is returning to Texas as a coach.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I loved watching Tiffany play at Texas; but, I never considered her a "legend". I could be in the minority.

Is Cathy Self-Morgan considered a "legend" based on her coaching championships at the high school level? But, I wouldn't say that she is "royalty".

"Royalty" to me means family bloodlines rich in basketball in the state of Texas.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I can't contain my excitement!

• Like Like x 5
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Tiffany was just named Finals MVP in the Israeli league where quite a few WNBA players play in the offseason.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Does anyone think today's is the day we hear something, or will drag until Monday?

• Like Like x 1
  9. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I have no idea who our new coach is is but a lot of things being said seem to point towards Tiffany. In particular if she's not going to be the with Sparks this season, since they've been posting about her returning, and being excited about having her back, for a while. I certainly didn't want to see her sitting on the LA bench this season, she is too good for that, but having her on the Horn bench....that's a different story! Definitely a Texas legend, and basketball royalty in every sense of the word. The only slight pause I might have in thinking it's TJ is that she's still playing some great basketball, as evidenced by her overseas finals MVP, so is she ready to call it a day on her playing career? But after a decade, and with her family, perhaps so....guess we'll find out one way or the other soon enough!

• Like Like x 1
  10. overseasbbfan1

With all the speculation, and tweets from those who apparently already know, I sure hope it's today!

• Like Like x 2
  11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Tiffany has been the only Uni. Of Texas player named national freshman of the year.

She was only the third Longhorn player to be named an All American three times (2005, 2006 & 2007) and the first since Andrea Lloyd.

Her father (Marquez Jackson) founded DFW Elite in 2004 and was a big force in AAU girls basketball until his death in 2010 at age 46.

I think Tiffany can be a considered a Texas legend (not just a UT legend) and her father was certainly considered royalty in girls AAU basketball circles in Texas.

She certainly checks a lot of the boxes on the list, including knowing the post position. Although I have to admit, I didn’t think she was still playing overseas.

• Like Like x 5
  12. overseasbbfan1

IIRC that is Tiffany's second consecutive MVP with the same team. I think she was either finals or league MVP last year also.

FYI that championship game where she got the triple-double, and that her team won, featured some other familiar names. On Tiff's team was another Tiffany (Hayes), and for the losing squad there was Adut Bulgak and Alexis Jones. Pretty stellar company but Ms. Jackson was the star of the game!

• Like Like x 2
  13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

While I love Tiffany, we need a coach that can help us handle zone defenses and/or get in Karen's ear to modify the plan during a game. If Tiffany can do that from day one, great hire her. But, let's not just hire ex-greats because it makes a splash. Splash doesn't get us into the Final Four.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

Didn't Tina coach a high school team before coming to Texas or do I remember that wrong?

15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Her bio on Texassports website doesn't list any previous coaching jobs prior to Texas.

16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She hadn’t coached - I remember it being mentioned that she was mentoring a few Houston area players (I believe Jordan was one of them).

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

So, which coaches fit your criteria?

18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

A Texas legend...royalty to many....I don't have the slightest clue, but that is some build up. Coach Tina to me qualifies as a legend and as royalty. I can't think of many others that reach that level. I do love Tiffany, a fantastic player at UT. TJ Ford certainly meets the legend and royalty standard, and with his great personality, I think he would be a fantastic recruiting asset. But it's hard to imagine that happening. Same with John Lucas. Any of those three would be really exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Let's look at Jamie Carey:
    1) Longhorn Legend
    2) HC at two CO high schools that went from zero to championship games
    3) Assistant coach at CO for 1 year before the whole staff got let go as a result of the HC's retirement

What I'm looking for is someone who knows how to recruit and coach young kids and see an effective output.

That said, that would go against what Tina brought to the table. Not a Longhorn Legend, not an assistant or HC at any level. But apparently effective.

20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was asking about which coaching "candidates" fit your criteria. I am assuming you have some in mind.

Honestly, I don't think some of what you are hoping for is something we would know they possess until they start working with Coach A and the other staff members.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Stumbled across this reply to a Tiffany tweet. Kelsey is an assistant coach with the LA Sparks.

• Like Like x 5
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Sounds like it's settled, doesn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  23. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Getting closer . . . Posted by womenshoopsworld:

• Like Like x 5
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like she has some things she can show players.
    Screenshot (120).png

• Like Like x 4
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Found this old Daily Texan article describing Tiffany's fight against cancer in 2015-2016 and this tidbit as it relates to coaching:

"I probably came to Austin more than I have in a long time while I was going through the process,” Jackson-Jones said. “I was constantly down there, just being with the girls and with the coaching staff and learning as much as I could.”
    http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2017/09/26/jackson-jones-battles-go-beyond-the-hardwood

• Like Like x 6
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I do think Tiffany brings a lot to the table, especially that she is basically still active as a professional player. So, she is very close to the game itself.

Hopefully, the connections she has in the DFW area will pay off with landing some of the elite recruits in the metroplex.

• Like Like x 5
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ball seems to be picking up speed.

• Like Like x 3
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  29. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Man, we have a lot of good sleuths on this board. Well done all around.

• Like Like x 4