Caribbean Inclusive Resort?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by LonghornDan, Aug 16, 2012.

1. LonghornDan

LonghornDan 25+ Posts

Any recommendations for an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean? Wife and I would be going in a couple of months, so end of October / beginning of November time frame. We're early 30's, if that makes a difference on where's a good place to stay.

2. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

I visit the Caribbean often and you could not pay me to stay in an AI...

3. LonghornDan

LonghornDan 25+ Posts

Why not? What are you recommendations outside of an AI?

4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Ocho Rios Jamaica has an awesome all inclusive although I can't remember the name. It has seven restaurants and a night club. Free snorkeling, several pools including the largest in Jamaica. Perfect for age group while kids are not permitted.

5. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

Your call of course, but I'm with the other poster above. I guess if you never want to really leave your hotel then an AI is good.

Personally, I'd rather find a nice hotel, not too far from other restaurants. Then you can get out and about, visit other parts of the island for lunch and dinner etc.

Having lived in the Caribbean where there was a huge AI. A lot of the locals, although seeing some benefits due to employment, didn't really like them because the majority of the money stays there, and doesn't trickle down to the local population.

Pick an interesting island where you feel safe, rent a car for the duration of your stay and explore!

6. LonghornDan

LonghornDan 25+ Posts

What islands are recommended for this approach?

7. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

I hang out in Negril, Jamaica...Wonderful beach! However, I would not hang in an AI anywhere..

8. LondonOllie

LondonOllie 250+ Posts

I really liked Tobago but it's been a while since I visited.
    BVI is meant to be nice.
    Lived in Turks & Caicos. Beautiful beaches, but arid and flat.

Your best bet is to spend a few hours at the book shop travel section and have a read about what each island offers etc.

9. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I've done one AI and wouldn't do it again. I much prefer getting out on my own and discovering local restaurants, activities, etc. However, some people who like to keep things really simple and have no interest in the local culture would probably be happy at an AI.