Carne Guisada

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Tailgate, Jan 18, 2007.

1. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Thanks, NickDanger. I'll tell my dad that he can gain entrance to my castle if he brings me a gift of several HEB carne guisada spice bottles.

2. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Waitaminit -- I'm not sure you and Nick are talking about the same thing. There is the Bolners/Fiesta brand carne guisada spice, which is a powder in a bottle. But HEB has a vaccum-pack of carne guisada meat in the fresh meat aisle. I'm not talking about the precooked tub of carne guisada (which is actually pretty good, if you're in a real hurry) -- I'm talking about cubes of raw meat, mixed with spices, peppers, etc., ready for cooking.

Again, I love to use those cubes of meat, with all the spices, as a base for a pot of chili -- they are incredibly tender already, so you can have an excellent pot of chili ready in about 30 minutes with that shortcut.

3. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I'm out of the loop on this one. I've heard people mention the HEB carne guisada before, and for some reason, I've envisioned something like their marinated fajitas in the vaccum pack. I want to make sure I get the right thing. I'll let you guys sort this out and check back later.

4. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

5. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

With another badass cold front coming in next week, we should all make cg next week and compare photos. It'll be like a cook-off, only via the wide world of web.

6. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

where do you live again????????????

7. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

OK, made this last night using a mixture of the original recipe and several suggestions. I used two shoulders of venison, used a Ziegen Bock instead of water, used the Rotel and the tomato sauce and cut up a couple of good sized japs. I don't measure spices, so I'm sure I was a tad more generous than suggested. It was spicey, no doubt.
    It was freaking unbelievable. A real keeper. Thanks.

8. orange avenger

orange avenger 25+ Posts

I use poblanos. I've also made it with cubed pork shoulder, which is really good. I had a friend in college from the Valley, and his mother served it at the table with sides of chopped tomatoes and grated Oaxaca-type cheese.

9. hug

hug < 25 Posts

I made this dish last night and it was very good. The whole family enjoyed it even the kids! Thanks for posting this recipe

10. Chelios

Chelios < 25 Posts

I'm making this now with Chuck. I'm gonna marinade the cubed beef in Dos Equis Amber for a couple hours to see what happens flavor-wise.

11. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I had the HEB version. It was very good. The meat did get very tender and almost had a shredded consistency in the end.

I still prefer the made-from-scratch recipe. But, when I don't have much time, I will happily do the HEB version.

12. Chelios

Chelios < 25 Posts

I just set mine to simmer. I'll post a pic when it is complete. [​IMG]

13. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Nick, so you are saying that there is a clear plastic spice bottle at HEB that you use for carne guisada to make it more gravy-ish? Do you use it as a substitute or just on top of all the spices?

I made Tailgate's recipe a few weeks ago and it came out great. Wish I had venison to use.

My mom used to always make venison stew which is basically the same as carne guisada but with the addition of potatoes. She would make it on a pressure cooker and it came out great. Put it on some tortillas and a smile.

14. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

15. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Ok. I was thinking that the flour should make the gravy part but I understand. Substitute the flour for the Fiesta seasoning. I'll try that next. Thanks.

16. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

Looks freaking great...
    I think i'll try it... instead of water I might use beef broth...

17. mahone

mahone < 25 Posts

Um, maybe someone should tell Chelios that his carne guisada has been simmering for over a month.

18. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

i thought you started CG with a roux, instead of jsut adding the flour in the middle of cooking?

19. someone

someone 250+ Posts

Made the HEB version last night with some rice. Holy Hell is that **** good.

20. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Am I the only one that thinks that the HEB version can't be as good as making it from scratch???

I made Tailgate's recipe a while back and it was awesome. I plan on making it again but substituting flour for the Fiesta Carne Guisada spices. I bought that last night at HEB. I plan on making some this week.

21. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

Can you buy the HEB brand stuff at a Central Market?

22. someone

someone 250+ Posts

23. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

someone, ok, that makes sense. I thought that as much as people were raving about the HEB carne guisada that they were saying it was better than by scratch but if everyone was just saying it was easy and good, I can say that makes sense.

24. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I had lunch at Gueros and had their beef taco and carne guisada taco... the carne guisada was solid but I think it came out better with Tailgate's recipe at the house. but it was solid.

To me, I like to judge Tex-Mex restaurants by their chicken enchiladas and/or carne guisada.

25. someone

someone 250+ Posts

"raving about the HEB carne guisada that they were saying it was better than by scratch "

I don't think it is better than scratch. But its daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnnnn tasty

26. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

I grew up in a house where in my opinion my mom made the best CG and home made tortillas. She now eats healthy after the quintuple bypass and refrains from even making tortillas any more.

I too judge a restaurant by the quality of the CG. Best in town is Habanero. However, I marched right over to HEB the other day upon reviewing the suggestions above and can say that it may not be as good as the original poster's incredible looking recipe, but daymmmm it's very good. Two thumbs way up for that.

27. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Tailgate, the tortillas in your picture look really good. Homemade?

28. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Habanero on Oltorf near S. 1st? Never had the CG there but have had their fajitas many many times.

29. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I made some on Saturday night. Started too late and after simmering 2 hours it was like 11pm. I made it identical to Tailgate's recipe except instead of 3 tbsp flour, I used 3 tbsp of the Fiesta carne guisada spices.

Turned out amazing.

30. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Yes. They were homemade tortillas. Glad so many people like the recipe. Good stuff [​IMG]