Castle Hill Cafe to close June 28

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by 1990txgirl, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

A couple of people asked about this on THEU's anniversary dinner thread but I didn't want to sidetrack his topic, so here's the link to the story.

Castle Hill to close.

I suppose it's a sign of the times but it makes me very sad nonetheless. Castle Hill was one of my first experiences with fine dining in Austin and I have many, many fond memories of meals I have enjoyed there. Its essence will live on in Mirabelle, where you'll still be able to enjoy favorites like the szechuan chicken salad and the outstanding gumbo, but it won't be quite the same.

Best wishes to the owner on the new venture.

2. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I am a bit saddened by this information even as someone who has never eaten there. I really don't understand the business side of things, or the decision to re open as an interior Mexican food place. It seems that the ownership will not change.
    I have only heard great things about Castle Hill.

BUT, I looked at the menu. There wasn't anything that interested me. This also makes me sad.

3. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

We used to eat lunch there all the time, then stopped going for some reason I don't remember. I do remember feeling like the quality had declined, or maybe we just got used to it.

My wife said last time she went they charged her for a refill on her iced tea, I guess she ordered some special no-refill flavor by mistake.

4. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

5. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

that's where I took the future Mrs TexonLI for our first date and went quite often after that.

Wish they had given more heads up. I'd have taken a trip down for one last meal for old times sake

6. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the link. I will miss Castle Hill as well. I am glad to hear that Mirabelle will remain open.

7. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Where did the original chef and owner go after they left?

8. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

9. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

10. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts