Chad Hastings

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Rexy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Last night on the women's basketball post game broadcast, Chad bid Craig and everyone farewell, saying that a "new opportunity" would prohibit him from doing any more women's broadcasts with Craig.

Anyone know where Chad has landed?????

2. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Hopefully back in Aggieland. Good guy, but I never really got into him on radio.

3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Chad........

4. orange_pride

orange_pride 100+ Posts

he's going to 1530 espn austin.

5. campwillben

campwillben 100+ Posts

Yep, 1530. He'll be doing The Drive with Geoff Ketchum from 4-7 starting March 17th.

6. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

GREAT! always liked Chad - know some don't, but I will be glad to listen to him on the drive home!

7. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

8. campwillben

campwillben 100+ Posts

9. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

That's just stupid. I don't love Chip Brown & Sean Adams, but they're a lot more interesting than Chad Hastings and Geoff Ketchum (especially Geoff Ketchum).

10. UTgrad_KUlaw

UTgrad_KUlaw 25+ Posts

I absolutely love this move. Geoff really needed someone to steer the ship. His show now goes from bad to really good.

The Sean and Chip show will also benefit from being condensed to two hours. Sometimes I felt the show dragged. Now it's hit their guests, get their opinions in and get out.

11. Barton Hills

Barton Hills 1,000+ Posts

Chip should get the drive time shift ... much better.

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I wonder if ESPN is trying to tear the whole afternoon away from the Zone. Having an orangebloods guy on at the same time as Craig Way might completely neutralize any desire that a Longhorn has for listening to 1300. I listen to the circumloquacious Way from time to time hoping I will hear an interesting tidbit about Texas amid his torturous webs of qualifying clauses and historic asides.

Lately, I've been tuning into 1530 and ignoring 1300. Bucky's too early and the guys after him hurt my ears. I'm getting to where I rather like Cowherd. In the afternoon, Ketchum is as erratic as y'all say, but the drive guys can be pretty good.

I gave AJ a slight chance, but his way of speaking annoys me and he doesn't seem to know anything. Add that to his general witlessness, and I'd rather listen to a farm report.

I am the most casual of sports radio listeners. It amazes me that the habit of listening to 1300 in the car has been so thoroughly dashed.

Was Chad the guy who did the strip club DJ voice?

13. jblonghorn

jblonghorn 25+ Posts

Me too. All I used to listen to was 1300. Now it's 1530 90% of the time, and when there at break, I usually listen to Jeff Ward. 1300 went away very quickly for a whole bunch of people. How can they not understand that what they're doing is bad? I guess they're sitting on their laurels (UT sports broadcasts) solely these days.

14. dallas_the_tiger

dallas_the_tiger 100+ Posts

15. LCHorn

LCHorn 100+ Posts

16. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

17. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I knew someone would get me on Bart/Dime Box. Should've gone with Snook, dammit.

18. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

So on 1530, they first drop David Anderson (for whatever reasons) and now are moving Chip & Sean to the 2-4 hours... and bringing in Chad Hastings and Ketchum for the 4-7 hours?

I actually like Hastings alot more than Ketchum (based on the "Football Show") and liked Hastings more than Dunn when they were on the radio.

I'll give it a try. When does it start?

19. jasmine

jasmine 25+ Posts

My HS basketball team ran "Snook's" offense. Perfect for a bunch of slow & tall white guys.

[​IMG]

20. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

Does anybody know the David Anderson story? I know he's not on in the afternoon any more, but he did a live appearance for them on Friday, so he's still associated with the station.

21. Win

Win 100+ Posts

On the 1530 website, there is a banner that says to join Sean Chip and Dave at Merkba's every Friday... So he's doing at least the Friday shows.

I also saw on Chad hastings website where he posted he was joining 1530. That is for those of you looking for some official information.

22. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

Wow. Now the 1530 management team is starting to f**k up. Chip should be on during drive time, without a doubt.

23. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I don't know all the ins and outs of radio in general or Austin specifically. I do know that several people (off air) have been let go by ESPN radio Austin, and I assume probably by 1300 as well. I was told by a guy who has moved on from ESPN that the economy has really hurt radio in Austin. He said the advertising dollars just were not there.
    I am assuming that like all businesses $$$$ is behind all of the changes in the sports radio landscape in Austin.

24. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

i think the issue with chip is twofold:

family, and maybe the fact that he's rarely in studio because of his needs with the DMN, ie, covering various evening sports events.

this week has been a borderline abortion with chip calling in remotely, and the **** breaking, and sean trying to carry the show. sean is not that good. chip and sean are good. hell, david anderson and sean are good. but sean CANNOT cover a show by himself. between sean's needs and chip's needs i'm not sure how the can keep a consistent drive time show.

chad and geoff might be able to pull it off. geoff is painful though, and if they start straying from sports too much, i'm gonna switch off. the few times i've listened to ketch, he's talking about pop culture. sorry, i'm trying to tune into a sports station.

that, and i'm a little uncomfortable with orangebloods' complete takeover of espn austin. i recently canceled my obloods membership because recruiting is annoying and overbearing. if that permeates the airwaves, then i'm out as well.

sidenote: heard that erin hogan will be doing spring training reports for espn this afternoon. i presume that means that espn's coup is almost complete. all they need is bucky.

what the f**k was clearchannel thinking????

25. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

With any luck they will think their way out ot town, at least on the morningside of the radio.

26. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I heard Chad Hastings doing some updates on 1530 earlier this week and it was a very pleasant voice to hear back on the radio.

Yeah, I don't know how Chip Brown thought he could do the radio show + DMN. That isn't easy to juggle. He is the UT beat writer meaning he is traveling extensively. And he just had another baby; doing 2 jobs while also traveling = not easy.

When I first heard Sean on the radio last summer, I really liked his takes. Unfortunately he keeps doing the same takes over and over again. He is ok but he needs a teammate.

Ketchum would try to stray off topic on the Football Show with Ward. He kept talking Brittney Spears and Jessica Alba. I guess he does football so much that he wanted to talk something else despite having a show called the football show.

27. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

I think what you guys are hearing with Sean is why David Anderson was so important to the show: he's a real radio professional and makes things work. Pulling David out of the mix was like taking off the training wheels too soon. I think Sean's good and that he'll get there, but he can't carry a show alone.

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I agree that at this point Sean has trouble on his own but he is showing progress and will get there one day. I would think that he learned a lot from David and it is just a matter of time. He's a smart cookie with good takes, when paced right.

I am concerned about the Ketch factor and the all Orangebloods influence but it will probably end up being okay, I hope. It is still light years ahead of the Zone.

29. alan802

alan802 25+ Posts

The whole sports talk radio in austin is a beating to listen to. I have to find a way to stream out to the production area where I work. We can only pick up 1300 and 590 and there are wearing me out. It never has been that good but right now is the worst in my listening days. I got spoiled living in Dallas and have been comparing everything to the Ticket and they all fall short.

30. LadyDee

LadyDee 25+ Posts

Losing afternoon drive is a demotion. I can't imagine Chip is happy. Why would ESPN do that to him when he just had a baby?