Charlie to dismiss 11 players and 4 coaches from USF

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornDave, Dec 23, 2018.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

2. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Yea, I started to write what I thought but...................:angry::smh:

USF is going to go 2-10 pretty soon, they better do something.

• Like Like x 1
  3. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Charlie inherited a 10-2 program, finished 10-2 with most of those same players last year, and now after a 7-6 collapse, it's "we're going to clean up this whole program...a lot of guys will be leaving...we need a good washing..." Kinda makes you go, hmmm...

• Like Like x 2
  4. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Looks like he is going to enjoy all the Texas $ he can bleed out of the horrible Patterson deal of the century that was made. SMH!:soapbox:

5. LonghornDave

After a second year at USF this seems odd.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Also gave Shaka Smart a guaranteed 7 year $3+ million deal (more than Rick Barnes ever made) and so far we have lost to Radford, VCU and Providence at home in year 4 under Shaka.

The Strong and Smart hires were neither strong nor smart.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. LonghornDave

Rick taking the Volunteers to No. 3 is further indication of poor decision making. Painful in the aftermath. But the handling of Mac's resignation, was a clown circus like no other. Set the program back years for no dang reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Players get dismissed all the time for violation of team rules, but what did the coaches do? Usually replacing your staff is the last ditch effort to save your own hide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. LonghornDave

Weren't they all CS hires? I think dismissing coaches in the same breadth that you dismiss 11 players that had been suspended is very strange, and maybe just unfair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Or maybe they were all caught in a hotel room tooting coke and playing craps with a room full of prostitutes. ;)
    Who knows what the hell happened.
    Something happened to suspend 11 players before your bowl game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Charlie isnt getting anymore money from Texas after this year so its all on him going forward. Strange move that reeks of desperation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. LonghornDave

Or not politically astute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Strong is an honor graduate of the "Lynn Amadee It Ain't My Fault, Throw the Kids Under the Bus" graduate course of deflecting the blame.

Also, Strong could not attract quality assistants in Austin with the near criminal contracts that Powers & Patterson were handing out; who the hell will he get at USF? Maybe there are some outstanding youth league coaches wanting to step up.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

All-Time Head Coaches

From the link:

"JACK CHEVIGNY
    1934-36 (Record: 13-14-2)
    John Edward "Jack" Chevigny was a national football celebrity who almost literally wound up on UT's doorstep in 1934, and his flashfire of success was like a sky rocket that took off in a flurry and burned out quickly. Part of the great legend of Notre Dame football was Chevigny, who scored the winning touchdown against Army after Knute Rockne's famous "Win One for the Gipper" halftime speech, and he allegedly said as he crossed the goal with the winning score, "That's one for the Gipper." Chevigny might well have succeeded Rockne at Notre Dame had the famous coach not been killed in a plane crash in 1931, because he had Rockne's flair for the dramatic and was being groomed for the job as an assistant at Notre Dame. The Hammond, Ind., native left Notre Dame after Rockne's death and coached the Chicago Cardinals (now the Arizona Cardinals) of the NFL to a 2-6-2 record in 1932. He quickly determined that professional ball wasn't for him and accepted a job as the head coach at St. Edward's University (a sister school of Notre Dame) in Austin. So it was convenient that Chevigny was just across the Colorado River in South Austin when Texas began looking for a new coach in 1934. The flamboyant Chevigny had impressed the Austin community and the media with his flair, and he did an excellent job of self-promotion. He got the UT job and inherited from Littlefield a wealth of talent, including 20 lettermen. Chevigny's greatest moment came in just the second game of his career, when he directed a 7-6 victory over his alma mater, Notre Dame. When his team finished the season at 7-2-1, Jack Chevigny was the toast of the town. But it would be short-lived. His 1935 team fell to 4-6, and Chevigny failed to build bonds with the Texas fan base, and more importantly, with the Texas high school coaches. As the 1936 season crashed down around him, Chevigny announced he had asked UT authorities not to reappoint him. When the team finished 2-6-1, the Athletics Council took him up on his verbal resignation. To this day, Chevigny, with a 13-14-2 record in three seasons, stands as the only head football coach in Longhorn history with a losing record. Chevigny stayed in Austin for a time working as an attorney for the State Tax Commission, but he soon tired of that and moved to Illinois, where he was very successful in the oil business. Chevigny died as a first lieutenant in the battle of Iwo Jima during World War II."

Bolded is my note. Also, "To this day, Chevigny, with a 13-14-2 record in three seasons, stands as the only head football coach in Longhorn history with a losing record." is dated, what with Strong being the second UT coach to have an all-time losing record.

One of these asked to be dismissed, ultimately dying for his country on the volcanic sands of Iwo Jima as a marine 1st lieutenant. Some detail left out of this on UT's bio: from Jack Chevigny - Wikipedia

"In March 1943, Chevigny (then 36 years old) was drafted into the U.S. Army after trying to enlist and being rejected because of a football knee injury he received while playing Notre Dame football. He completed basic training at Fort Benjamin Harrison in Lawrence, Indiana. He was assigned afterwards to Fort Lawton in Seattle, Washington, a training and staging base. A corporal, he had requested and was granted service in the Marine Corps. He received an honorable discharge from the U.S. Army on June 10, 1943, in order to be released for service in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve."

Another fascinating tidbit is this, from the link (FYI, Chevigny was the HC for Texas in 1934 when they went to South Bend to beat the Irish 7-6, so....):

"Another legend surrounding Chevigny is that, after the 1934 football victory, he had been presented a fountain pen with the inscription, "To Jack Chevigny, a Notre Dame boy who beat Notre Dame", and that on September 2, 1945, this pen was discovered in the hands of one of the Japanese officer envoys at the surrender of Japan on the battleship USS Missouri. The pen was sent back home, and the inscription was changed to read, "To Jack Chevigny, a Notre Dame boy who gave his life for his country in the spirit of old Notre Dame".[7] The legend, which surfaced in 1945 in conjunction with the anniversary of the November 10, 1928 football game,[8] has been a part of Notre Dame lore ever since. However, no one in the Chevigny family has seen or confirmed the existence of the pen, or that the inscription was changed."

-------------------

Okay, so one of the all-time losing HCs at Texas, I think is clear left on his own because he didn't hold up his end of the deal, then went on to become a WWII war hero, giving his life in the Iwo Jima invasion.

The other had to be fired, and still receives a heft amount of money (yeah, it's a contract, so much for honor, huh?) and now after a nose punching is firing 4 of the assistants he hired 2 years ago.

15. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Barnes wasnt getting it done anymore. It's easy to second guess but Shaka was THE hot hire and it was universally praised across the country. It just hasn't been working out here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Strong was a football terrible hiring mistake that should never happened; took Texas down several notches...he and his fake turtle necks and his inability to to communicate and motivate will be out soon!! Just bad..!

Shaka seems heading in same direction yet he has had to deal with several one and dones...but he made the decisions to offer and take them so.................is it on him? Yes!

17. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

He chunked several kids out when he got to Texas, so not too surprised.

But 11 players and 4 coaches? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but could there be that many bad apples? It is Florida, so possible I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The head coach is incompetent so let’s get rid of players and staff. That should do it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Corner turned.

• Like Like x 2
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Baking the cake.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Strong already lost the OC he brought with him from Texas. I wonder does he have cash and a college President willing to take a private plane to Podunk city to help close the deal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have never seen a worse college coach in all my days. He should never be a college head coach again. He just doesn't seem to be able to handle the job. I think it's just too much responsibility for him. Good DC but terrible head coach.

And to think Red was crucified for saying what amounts to the truth.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Gilbert? Where is he coaching now?

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No, but maybe one of USf's 24 season ticket holders will drive Charlie in his 84 Toyota.

New HC at McNeese State with a salary of about 15% what he made in Austin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Man--11 players (in addition to normal attrition and graduation) is a big hole to fill.

26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yeah, a strategic job security big hole so he can claim culture change. Since they were winning before he arrived I'm not sure anyone will buy it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Charles is a fake and a swindler to me. Sold everyone on his core beliefs while cheating on his wife, and keeps destroying dozens and dozens of lives, just so he can live a life of prosperity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
  29. LonghornDave

30. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Character counts for something even nowadays! Charlie can’t outrun his history and what he has done to people. Especially the young people. I know I don’t know everything that happened, so l can’t say too much. But kicking 11 players and 4 Coaches off the team now after everything that has happened before in ATX. I smell a rat!

• Agree Agree x 1