Chicago Weather

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by DAGMAR, Jan 29, 2008.

1. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

I went to the gym at 3:30..it was 48.

Current condition:
    [​IMG]

It went from 48 to about 0 wind chill in 5 hours. This is why I am moving back to Texas

2. JohnnyBeamer

JohnnyBeamer 25+ Posts

I am up in Chi-town as well. Weather is ridiculous - love the city but couldn't live here no matter how many deep dish pizzas you offered me. Glad to be headed back to TX tomorrow.

3. rage-a-holic

rage-a-holic 250+ Posts

Austin dropped from about 72 to 39 in 5 minutes.

4. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

I can safely say that one of the coldest days of my life was spent walking down Michigan Ave. in the winter. Wind was blowing pretty hard off the lake. Wind chill had to be well below zero. I was wearing a wool overcoat, and it really didn't help much.

I like cold weather, but that was crazy.

5. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

I have lived in Norway and in Chicago; Chicago was colder.

6. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

Went to a Cub game in June - Had to buy a coat and froze my *** off.

Supposed to go to Chicago tomorrow - how will the weather be tomorrow?

Thanks.

7. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Lets chat in July and August.

Sweating your bag off isnt all that. I love Texas but that summer heat is a sack of ****.

8. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

DAGMAR,

You better be there this summer if I take a trip to Chi-town. I believe I need to get hammered again before another presentation. [​IMG]

9. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I lived up there for 3 years. I LOVED having 4 seasons. Sure it is cold there today. It's JANUARY!!! It is supposed to be cold. And yes Texas drops as faster or faster than any other place when a norther blows. The entire middle third of the country has that 'problem.'
    I do recall one summer when I was at Grant Park enjoying Taste of Chicago and it was in the upper 90s. We went to a Women's World Cup match (back to back actually) and a storm rolled in COLD rain and it dropped about 30 degrees. Such is life in the middle of a large land mass.
    I loved the weather in Chicago. And it totally rocks compared to the heat here in the summers.

10. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

Next time you're in the neighborhood, try the Exchequer Pub & Grill on Wabash. No kidding, I think it must be the restaurant where the Superfans from SNL would hang out. You can get an amazingly insane amount of food for fairly cheap. I think they had to roll me back to the El last time I ate there... [​IMG]

I can personally vouch for the Mixed Grill and the ribs. The steaks looked good, too.

Good place to get sloshed as well.

11. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I've watched hockey the last couple of night on TV -- Monday saw a high of -22 and a low of -34 in Edmonton. Last night in Minnesota, the wind chill was -36.

I honestly do not understand how people literally function in weather like that. How do you dress to go out? How does your car work in temps like that? Why the hell wouldn't you move south?

12. irishtexan

irishtexan 100+ Posts

It is better today, but the good lord is gonna **** about 5 inches of snow on us this afternoon. My buddy is coming in today too, and the airline called in advance to tell him his 1pm flight was cancelled, and that he would have to either hop on a 10am flight, or a 7pm flight. I thought that was pretty cool.

Chicago winters eat ***. I get seasonal affective disorder really bad, starting about right now, and lasting through March or April. All i can think about these days is the first t-shirt day. On that day, everyone heads to their favorite beer garden to drink outside, and we have a "welcome back boobs" ceremony for all the breasts that have been hiding under so many sweaters for oh-so-many months.

Seriously. Kill me now.

13. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

14. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

I loved living in Chicago. The underground walkway was how we got around. (that, and bars every 1/2 block).

[​IMG]
    The Link

I thought the heat in the summer was tougher, but I have always favored cold over high heat.

15. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

That was so much fun yesterday 3 hours to drive from SKokie to MIdway Airpirt and had to wait three hours on the plane - finally arrived in Houston at 1:00 AM

16. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Suck it up fellas, in another 10 weeks or so it will all be over. Mostly.

17. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i was there in january, it was pretty damn cold, but manageable. we still walked most of downtown.

18. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

19. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I was in Chicago last year on the night Florida beat Ohio State for the NCAA basketball title. It was 70 degrees. The next day, it was 30 and snowed.

20. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

24 below zero windchill today.

High temp will be 2.

Going to SBUX was life threatening today.

21. Back to Texas

Back to Texas 250+ Posts

I LOVED living in Chicago - it's the most livable big, urban city, IMHO (e.g., versus NYC or SF). Now that I am back in Texas (almost fully within the next couple weeks), I love no winter. I am using a bunch of consultants from back in Chicago right now and when they tell me about the snow and weather and trials of getting out of ORD, I can't believe I did it for as long as I did, I don't think I really knew exactly what I was missing. Little things like being able to take my son out for a walk in the morning for coffee without bundling and bundling him does not suck.

I do miss being able to walk everywhere - even when it's cold as hell. Just nice to have everything and anything could possibly want in a 10 minute walk or cab ride. I also miss the college bars on Saturday afternoons in the fall. I am such a college football fan, I'd go with any of my buddies to watch their teams after the Texas game. Fun to go to the designated college bar and watch a game with real fans. These things make the winter weather bearable - for a while for me.

22. irishtexan

irishtexan 100+ Posts

high around 10 today. didn't even leave my girlfriends apartment at all yesterday when the high was something like 3. seasonal "affective" disorder has shifted to seasonal "depressive" disorder. the wind blew one of the windows in my living room out of it's tracks and onto the floor last week, where it busted through both panes. I now have a window sealed with cardboard and duct tape letting in the 0 degree air right into my apartment. for some reason it takes 7 business days to cut some ******* glass. i will go get drunk after work to try and forget about how cold i am all the ******* time. [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Genco

Genco 100+ Posts

Tell me about it. I went running yesterday and the 5 mph wind must have brought the temperature down to 66.

67 tops.

24. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Chicago winters are brutal. Chicago spring, starts in June, is beautiful. [​IMG] There are planes that fly south in the winter though. I recommend a trip to Mexico to warm you up. [​IMG]

25. The Bloak

The Bloak 100+ Posts

O'Hare is shutdown as we speak. Not sure who I pissed off getting sent to Syracuse this time of year but I likley get to spend another night in Americas Playground aka Syracuse, NY.

I know the topic is about Chicago but I will NEVER understand why a person would CHOOSE to live in Syracuse......-14 with wind chill yesterday. WTF?