Chip Brown re: Whaley Melton on News 8 Austin

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by mandingo, Mar 18, 2010.

1. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

2. Dr.Spot

Dr.Spot 100+ Posts

Henry Melton wasn't the first & he won't be the last. Texas running back is a glamour position & that is why you will see talented players want 1st crack at being one. Sergio Kindle? Drew Kelson? They all played running back early in their years at Texas. Can't fault the kids for chasing the dream to be the next Earl or Ricky. Mack gives them the chance & that is all a player can ask for. CW will have the same opp to show or else move to linebacker which he was very good at in HS.

3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"Yet you didn't and another knock on Henry Melton who did what only 4 other people in the history of Texas has done as a freshman, 10 Tds."

Is this really going to be his measuring stick? That he could punch the ball in behind some All-Americans on the line? Even if I wasn't able to jump forward three feet (I think I can, seeing as how I did the long jump in my days), this is probably the dumbest measure by which anyone could possibly be compared to others. Chris Robertson ring a bell? How'd he do at UH after transferring?

Melton will be remembered for what he couldn't do at RB, which is to plow into people and push them back. If Whaley or Johnson couldn't do this either, I wouldn't be surprised.

4. Dr.Spot

Dr.Spot 100+ Posts

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

OK then, state THAT as the reason why he's so awesome instead of his TD numbers as a freshman. That he overcame adversity to become a main contributor on the team three years later. I have no doubts that I'm not as good a RB as anyone on Texas's roster. This isn't even the stupid debate.

All of the walkons got rings too, so stating the NC as his calling card is more of a team value.

6. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

It seems like the fact that HM moved from RB to DE and then worked his way into a 4th round pick with very limited playing time more or less proves our point about him as a RB and about his decision to stay there so long.

Imagine if he had played DE the whole time he was at Texas, as many folks were wishing out loud that he would from the day he arrived.

7. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

On a happy note, I'm pissing down my leg excited that we will have so many promising options at RB. Out of a group this size (which I hope gets bigger by next signing day) someone is certain to step up and be the next in a long line of stud Texas RDs.

8. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

"Melton also played behind 2 backs that played in the NFL in Selvin Young & J. Charles." He would have been behind Vondrell, Hills, and Fozzy also had they been on the team . This was perhaps? the best offense in NCAA history with an great OL that allowed Superman to simply destroy all but an elite defense like OSU. I look at Henry much as John Chiles in the sense that he was enormously talented and Mack TRIED HARD to have them succeed at their position of choice. They were both played in spots where success was most likely and still the results left little impression. Though I'm happy for Henrys 10 tds, on that team, and in in those spots, it really meant 10 less for whoever else Mack had decided deserved it. What I'm most happy about is that he gave up on that pipe dream before it was to late to waste the fame and riches his God given abilities would afford him....