Chip Brown talks about Chris Simms

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Tums, Jan 22, 2008.

1. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

chris simms is one of my fav horns. and i too like applewhite. admiration for the 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

come home chris. let us show you our gratitude and start the healing.

chris simms.
    [​IMG]

2. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

3. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

I really hope he gots another shot in the NFL.

I was in high school during the Simms-Applewhite ****. My best friend and I would get into arguments every ******* day taking up for Chris. That period of UT football seperated the bandwagon fans from the real fans more than any other period in recent memory, in my opinion.

4. BeatYaEasyEasy

BeatYaEasyEasy 250+ Posts

Ditto, ninja, I never heard that either....elaborate, perhaps?

5. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

If Major had played over Simms people would have been screaming at Mack for not playing the cannon-armed and petigree future NFL QB.

6. Hook_This

Hook_This < 25 Posts

7. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

8. Texan

Texan 25+ Posts

What Pee Jay said is absolutely the truth.

I'm not saying that teammates disliked Major but Chris was best friends with just about all of our impact players during that period.

And you have no clue what you're talking about if you think teammates were siding with the Frat.

9. JOSEYWALES66

JOSEYWALES66 100+ Posts

10. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

11. Hook_This

Hook_This < 25 Posts

12. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for all the hard work, Chris! You have always been a class act, and I am proud to call you a fellow alumnus. Don't let some upset "fans" distract you from the fact that there are an awful lot of us 'Horns who hold you in very high regard, as we have done and will.

13. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

With the exception of VY, I had more confidence in Chris than with any quarterback Texas has ever had and I've been watching every single Texas game since 1961. He was one of the most talented kids to ever have played at Texas and losses won't change that. Everyone loses. Tough guy and one who represented Texas admirably. I wish he would come back and be introduced at a game so I could say 'thank you' again.

[​IMG]

14. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

This was the darkest chapter of Longhorn football in my lifetime. I am still ashamed by how he was treated by some "fans". Simms handled a tough situation a hell of a lot better than I would. He's got my most sincere respect and gratitude. [​IMG]

15. i liked both simms and major. i wouldn't say simms was one of my favorites. it wasn't nothing against him personally or the player. i just have some other favorites.

no doubt i cursed when he messed up. i curse when anyone messes up.

i love chris and i hope the best for him. i'd love to see him back out on the field sundays.

hook'em Chris... damn pity on how he was treated and coached here.

16. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

17. i wish there were a way for longhorn nation to show this guy (siimms) how much we appreciate him. always loved the guy and felt that the coaches really put he and major in too tough a situation.
    chip brown needs a new hairstylist.

18. UTeed

UTeed 100+ Posts

There are no 'buts' when it comes to a kid who came in and gave it his all for the Longhorns. I didn't get it then and I still don't. Very few players would have taken that kind of abuse and stayed all four years.
    We should be talking about how proud we are that a Longhorn has had a career as a NFL QB and how we hope he makes it back, instead of defending him from a bunch of chowder heads who don't seem to know better.

19. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

1. I am still amazed that some people cannot separate their feelings about the situation from their feelings about the players involved. I am convinced that there are fans who hate Chris or who hate Major over their feelings about that QB controversy.

2. Neither Major or Chris played perfect football. To read accounts on this thread, or accounts on threads about Major, you might think they walked on water, or that neither of them ever threw bad picks. They were both good QBs, and they both made normal mistakes.

3. If a fan still supports Chris or Major, they do not have to be labeled "pumper" or "hater." It is possible, actually I think it's necessary, for true fans to support and root for both of them.

4. I think Chris' treatment here is a bit overblown. Don't get me wrong-- I am not condoning anything negative that happened. I am just saying that it wasn't like people booed him or harrassed him throughout his tenure at QB. From the conversations I overheard at the Big XII Champ. game, I think most people were booing Mack for putting Chris back out into a bad situation. We have had QBs before who were savaged by the fans(see Todd Dodge).

Still unacceptable, but Texas fans have booed for decades. I really don't think that will ever change, no matter who is under center, or who is calling the plays. There's a reason people say the backup QB at Texas is the most popular player on the team. Even Vince wasn't immune to that sentiment.

5. We, the fanbase, need to get over it. Simms and Applewhite have not worn the burnt orange for several years. There is absolutely no reason there should still be division within our ranks over them. We need to shut up about it and move on.

Maybe Chris should come back, and we could honor Major and Chris on the field together before a game. That way no one would boo. [​IMG]

20. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

The worst part of the whole Simms/Applewhite situation to me is that it forced division amongst the fans. We all bleed burnt orange and wanted the Horns to win, but it's like you had to choose sides. And when you supported one QB, you had to tear down the other QB to state your case. Every Major Cultist would talk about how Simms choked in big games and threw untimely INTs. Every Simms supporter would say how Major had bum knees and had the Apple Turnover game against K-State and lost easy games to NC State and Stanford. It was really nasty.

A lot of it could have been avoided had Simms redshirted his freshman year, but that obviously didn't happen, in part because Adam Dunn left (I think that's who it was).

Chris's time here could have been different if GD would have let him air out the ball and play vertical football. Those OU games were SO painful. The way to beat OU back then (as aggy showed) was to test the secondary. We hardly ever did that even though we had Simms and the Big 3.

The second half of the aggy game in 2000 was probably the highlight of Simms' time here. That is what our offense should have been doing every game. Reverses, stop and go bombs, deep curls. They were on absolute fire that day. Even the Holiday Bowl against Oregon that year was a shootout. If not for some dropped balls by Roy and BJ, Chris would have led a great comeback.

Man, that was a crazy time.

21. femalefanatic

femalefanatic 25+ Posts

i also always supported Chris. The way he handled himself with all the non-stop, cruel criticism was awesome. I was so ashamed of some of our fans, changing 'CHRISSIE' after a game. Longhorns have more class than that.

Hook 'em, Chris!!!

22. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

23. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

simms took a lot of **** and handled it better than 99% of the people posting here.

24. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

Then you wore headphones to the games he played in.

25. femalefanatic

femalefanatic 25+ Posts

I agree on Chip Brown's hair -- too 80's for me!! [​IMG]

26. tex_pete, gardere even called him chrissie at some banquet. i wanted to change my name to gardere_fucked_up

27. Texan

Texan 25+ Posts

Hook This - I'm not sure what you saw 'that night' and we may be discussing different instances, but if a couple of walkons took the frats side (wouldn't shock me as almost any UT player in a frat was a walkon) that hardly constitutes a 'division on the team' - I would be absolutely SHOCKED if any player that matterred (ie played regularly) would not have had Simms back in a heartbeat.

Furthermore, regarding the whole controversy, I would say that if you polled those around the program daily before Major's SR season (ie players, coaches, and all staff) over 90% would have backed the decision to start Simms. I'm not going to go into all the details why and it's nothing against Major, but it wouldn't even have been close.

That being said, I'm damn glad Major is back as a coach and I think it was a great hire.

28. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

I stand corrected.

I still think the fanbase needs to move on. Threads like this make us look bad-- how many years after the fact? [​IMG]

29. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

30. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

It's not this thread that makes us look bad.

It's the reprehensible treatment of one of our own that makes us look bad.

EDIT: Damn, Huck...that was fast!

Hmmm....great minds...