Chron: Major 'expected to accept...offer'

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horns83, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

2. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

running backs coach? hmm. since gd is going nowhere anytime soon, no solid reason to be jazzed about this.

3. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Don't sell the move short. I doubt Major will be the RB coach, and I suspect he will have a good bit of input with the gameplanning/playcalling, even though I'm sure GD will still call the plays.

Major is a GD insider, and I am sure there is a good bit of trust and confidence that goes along with that. [​IMG]

4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

Experience isn't a factor in whether one can be a good coach or not, so I don't think people need to question if he can coach RBs.

He's coming here to sit under Greg Davis and learn.

5. LurkerintheDark

LurkerintheDark 250+ Posts

Well, the flame bits in the Wiki entry have apparently been removed.

6. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Yes, those flame bits are gone, so I will delete that earlier post to offer this tidbit from Damion Square.

7. texashorne

texashorne 250+ Posts

8. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

I can't think that this is anything else but setting up for a Greg Davis retirement sometime soon. He's had a full coaching life and who's better to fill his spot than Major?

I'm just glad to see that UT is giving him serious consideration. I can't wait to see Colt McCoy working with him as a graduate assistant! [​IMG]

9. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

This sits very well with me. [​IMG]

10. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I would agree slave

11. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

12. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

bierce thanks for the link. I couldn't believe someone said that. WOW. I guess it shows that they do have a little love for Major.

13. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

14. LostinTime

LostinTime 25+ Posts

Ok he has gone from the best qb (before VY) to the best coach for any vacancy UT has. So when ,if he becomes a coach here is he going to be up for the instant crap he will get when something doesn't go right or is he exempt?

15. recycle bin

recycle bin 25+ Posts

I'm not really concerned about his title. If he his hired my guess is he will work closely with GD and be very involved in game planning and have input in the play calling. Even if GD has the final word, just having someone else giving input can only benefit the team. And it sets up a for future transition if it proves successful. If it's not there isn't really any harm done.

The biggest upside is that Major will probably have a better rapport with the younger players than GD and will be a great recruiter, which is the most important aspect of college football... getting the big guns to sign LOI's. Maybe our new RB coach can secure Darrell Scott. Brining in an up and comer like Major and making him RB coach has to have a positive influence on Scott.

Is he the end all and be all of Texas football? No, but it's a positive move that will benefit the team for years to come, IMHO.

16. texashorne

texashorne 250+ Posts

What happens to the recruits he has been working on? Do they honor Alabama or make the move with Applewhite? we shall see...

17. Texasboozer

Texasboozer 25+ Posts

It says his contract with bama is only for 2 years. That may have something to do with him seriously considering Texas despite it being a step back, at least by title.

18. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

19. Turd of Doom

Turd of Doom 250+ Posts

Cultists rejoice. I don't understand why people want Major to be our head coach. He might work out and he might not. He's unproven. I think when Mack moves to AD we could get a proven winner in here.

20. Pancho Negro

Pancho Negro 250+ Posts

21. IslandTime

IslandTime < 25 Posts

I think this is just another great step that Mack has made in this offseason. I was just as disappointed as anyone with this last year. But I for one am happy with what Mack has done since the season ended. He didn't sit still and is making changes to improve this team. Bringing in Muschamp IMO is a huge move. If we can get Major to come as RB's Coach and help collaborate with GD on the offense it can only be positive. Mack is proving to me that he is not ready to retire and rest on the 2005 NC. He wants Texas to be the very best team in the country. His efforts to make changes have made me VERY HAPPY.

22. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

23. PanzerDSS

PanzerDSS 100+ Posts

24. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

saban must have not liked him much.

25. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

Well then, his first act as RB coach should be to get on a plane and fly to the home of Darrell Scott and tell him how much damage he can do at Texas.

26. HornFinc

HornFinc 250+ Posts

27. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

I like Major as much as the next guy and i really hope one day he makes a great OC or HC, which i think he will, but some of you crowning him the next coming need to lay off the burnt orange Kool Aid.... He really hasn't done all that much and although i admit i honestly don't know if Bama had the talent he didn't especially "light it up" in Alabama...

How about we just wait and see before we all go "aggy" over him

28. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

29. TrashMaster G

TrashMaster G 250+ Posts

30. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts