Citrus Chicken old Austin 'Pinch a Pollo?'

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Summerof79, May 21, 2009.

1. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

starting to try and master another recipe and wondered if anyone remembered the old "Pich a Pollo" restaurants from years ago. they had one down on Waller creek between 6ht and the police station, and a location up North at Burnet and Anderson Lane where the battery place next to Jack in The Box is today.

Anyhow wondering if anyone has a good citrus marinated chicken recipe. Did this one as the basis for a marinade I did last night with pretty good results but am already tweaking some more.

½ cup orange juice (changed to 1-1/4 cup)
    ½ cup lime juice ( will go up to 3/4 cup next go round)
    ½ cup olive or vegetable oil
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (omitted forgot to buy)
    ¼ cup chopped onion
    4 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin (changed to 3 tsp)
    1 teaspoon salt (not nearly enought salt will double at least for next marinade)
    ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce

This marinade was designed for skinned breasts but I want to marinade split fryers or like I did yesterday do thighs. So I would probably cut the oil back a little as well. made some Mexican rice, black beans, cooked up some fresh tortillas and Salsa and put the ckicken into the tortillas with some slices of fresh avacado on top. Did not marinate long enough at 5 hours, so you only got a hint at the flavor a 24 drench would be.

2. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

You need some achiote in your sauce. You can find it at Fiesta...

3. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

hmmm... might have to check into that, what does that taste like? Definitely going to add a little garlic.

4. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

I used to frequent the pinch-a-pollo on Burnet/Anderson.....GOD they had THE BEST salsas!!! I miss them dearly. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Can't you get the achiote in bulk at Central market and grind it yourself? Isn't that what I used for Puerco Pibil?

6. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

7. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I checked my stock and you can definitely get it there. That is one aspect of CM that is definitely a good deal. Their bulk spices are probably 1/10th the price of the pre-packed stuff. I have a fairly inexpensive coffee grinder (Krups?) just for spices.

8. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

But what about the citrus chicken bruthas?

Gonna do another round this weekend. I think I may go with the orange juice concentrate this go round to get the intensity I want. Gonna try breasts I think, simply as it may be easeir for me to figure out which way to take the recipie.

9. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

The citrus chicken at Pinche Pollo definitely had achiote... Your original recipe is solid, just put it in the blender with some achiote bro...

10. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Ha- I look up Achiote and low and behold I find local filmaker robert Rodriguez Puerco Pibil. looks like his video is likely a good starting point as well.

11. UT94BBA

UT94BBA < 25 Posts

I have tried this recipe the OP had with achiote added and it is excellent. Has anyone done it with beef (skirt) using 1/2 pineapple 1/2 soy sauce with achiote too?

12. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

My current version- with more citrus- that turned out pretty well. Or at least the wife and kids liked it.

12 oz OJ concentrate - 24 oz water
    juice of 8 limes 3/4 cup or more
    1/2 chopped yellow onion
    2 TBL Chile Powder
    2 TBL Achiote Powder
    2 TBL Cumin
    2 TBL Salt
    1 cup chopped Cilantro
    1/2 TBL oil
    3 pops of Louusiana Hot Sauce

Looked great, tasted great off the grill. I did about 20 chicken thighs with this marinade in a big vertical tupperward container. Cooked a couple in the Pan and the bringing the marinade to a boil made for a nice glaze to top the meat off with.

Probably more Orange than the Pich a Pollo recipe but tasted darn good!