Cleaning Silk Ties

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CaptainEd, Feb 12, 2008.

1. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

i bought some really nice silk ties when i was over in Italy last year. well, i wore a red one to a wedding and spilled some vodka & soda on the front of it while i was sober....

every time i've taken ties to a dry cleaner in the past, they come back ******. they press it so it looks like it doesn't have any "life" left - you can see all the seams and folds through the front and it is stiff as hell, even with absolutely no starch. i think it is just the chemical they use.

it is not a noticeable stain whatsoever - looks almost like a slight shadow and i doubt anyone would even notice it but it bugs me and i really want to take care of it.

any advice?

2. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

When I was younger, I threw a silk tie in the washing machine. That didn't work out.

3. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

Dry cleaner.

I have expensive ties and cheap ties. If they are expensive ie over $80 they go to the cleaner if they are cheap ie under $40 I just toss them if the stain is bad enough.

4. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Tie Crafters

Here's another something else that I found:

"Use Woolite and follow the directions on the back of the bottle. I always use cold water and at least an overflowing capful. Get a safety pin, turn the tie over and pin the two flaps together. This will keep the tie’s shape intact while soaking. Stir the soap and water solution thoroughly and put your tie in. Depending upon the severity of the stains, let the tie soak for at least three to five minutes. You can soak the tie longer if necessary. I have actually walked away and left ties soaking for as long as a half hour. You can also pre- treat stains with Woolite prior to soaking. Pour a little Woolite directly on the stain brush lightly with an old toothbrush, and then dunk the tie in the solution after a few minutes. Blot the tie dry with a clean towel and then lay on towel to dry. I've also heard of people using a hair dryer on a low setting."

5. McLovin

McLovin 25+ Posts

I have never, ever, ever, not once salvaged a silk tie after it got spotted.

No matter what the cleaners say, not only is there at least some of the spot always remaining but they've pressed it or something and it's trashed to me.

I'll be fascinated if anyone has any luck, but I doubt it's possible. Please keep us updated.

6. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

From my experience, that tie is a good as trash.... Grow your beard long so it can cover the stain...

7. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

For me, the more expensive the tie, the quicker I plop some kind of sauce on it.

One of my colleagues sticks a napkin in his collar at every meal and looks like a goof ball, but that man doesn't lose ties.

8. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

What McLovin said.

If you have cleaned it, people will notice.

9. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

yeah, as i said, i've had ties cleaned in the past and they always look like ****. luckily, this isn't a food stain and it's not noticeable to anyone but me - and i'm really anal about my clothes.

i'll just have to order some more and then maybe use the above cleaning method on this tie as a litmus test.

**** - this place doesn't even have a website, just found a random chamber of commerce phone number.