Cliff Lee placed on waivers

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Horn2Run, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Doesn't necessarily mean he's being cleared for a trade, but a possibility nonetheless.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Phillies want Texas to take Lee off their hands with Texas assuming the complete salary and giving up at least 2 top prospects.

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

RUN FOREST RUN!!!

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Dodgers claimed him. The Phillies now have a fixed period of time (48 or 72 hours) to either release him to the Dodgers or withdraw him.

5. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

The Dodgers new ownership must have read Tom Hicks' book "How to run a baseball franchise into the dirt by overspending on players, marginal and superstars". By 2015 that franchise will be in Fire Sale mode bigtime, even with the huge tv market they have

6. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Not much smoke or fire IMHO. It's not unusual for MLB players to be placed on waivers and then pulled back if a claim is made. I suspect the same will happen here unless the Dodgers offer something enticing to the Phillies in terms of trade options. Doubtful though.

7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"even with the huge tv market they have"

I can attest to the fact that not a single Angelino watches baseball on television.

8. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

The problem with Lee-to-the-Dodgers scenario is that the Dodgers would likewise have to put their trade consideration (if they're on the 40-man roster) on the waiver wire, too, and they'd have to slide to the Phillies for the trade to happen.

Big league players like Bourjos or top-notch prospects who are on the 40-man are simply not going to clear waivers to the Phillies.

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Considering Cliff Lee's contract and recent pitching performance, "I'll take the contract and $5 million a year for the next four years to have him on my payroll instead of yours." would be an offer I'd jump all over if I owned the Phillies. The Oakland As are the hottest team in baseball, and the whole team salary is only 2 1/2 times what the Philadelphia Phillies have paid Cliff Lee this season for two wins and six losses.