clock and radio reset ?? 95 Honda Civic

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by jt09, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

My battery died yesterday (left the lights on) and after getting the c ar running again, the clock shows the wrong time and the radio (stock) reads "COdE." No owners manual.

Anyone know the secret?

2. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I had a Honda Accord and they usually place a sticker (white with black numbers) somewhere in the car four to 6 numbers if I recall correctly. In my car it was on the inside of the trunk, i.e., open the trunk and it was stuck right under the cover. You might also look in the front glove box and if you have a compartment between the seats then in there as well. Once you find the number just type it into the radio using the program setting keys. Hopefully this made sense.

3. Paging our resident Honda expert who owns a shop here in Austin, accuratehorn, message for Mr. accuratehorn.

4. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Thanks Euro, but no such luck in either the trunk or glove box.

5. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

From what I remember, if you can't find the code in the car, then they can pull the radio to reset it. At least that is what the dealer told me. Mine was a 96 Accord. I luckily found the sticker and code. Also, try pulling out the ash trays and look inside those compartments and the ash trays themselves. I just kept looking and finally found it.

6. Bytor

Bytor 100+ Posts

Check on the inside of the fuse box lid cover and also the owner's manual to see if it was handwritten anywhere.

7. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

well. ****.

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The clock you just reset with the "H" and "M" buttons, they are small, you might need to poke them with a key or something; the radio requires a security code which you should have gotten with the car. Newer models have the code on a sticker in the glove box, but I don't think your model will have that anywhere.
    As a shop, we have to slide the radio chassis out enough to see the back of it, get the radio chassis number, call the dealer parts department, they give us the security code, then we turn the car on, and punch the code in with the preselect station buttons, like 34562. The word "code" goes away and all is well again.
    Some radios won't accept the code without the key being on for 30 minutes or strange things like that. Your owners manual should give the correct procedure. The dealer may not give you the code since you are an individual, you may have to go by there with proof of ownership, ie title to the car.

9. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Thanks AH. I called the dealerships today and got pretty much the same answer. I'm going to have to pull the radio to get the code. How the hell do I do that?

10. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

All of hornfandon and no one could find me this? I Someone just posted it for me on another site, after I had already completed the task. It was very easy to remove the stereo and the Honda dealership was easy to deal with. They called Honda, got the code for me and called me right back.

11. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I didn't know about that site, but some radios are pretty easy to slide out enough to get the number off the back, but others are not. The shift console must be removed to start with sometimes, and there are hidden screws in the back to make it difficult to steal the radio.

12. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Someone actually sent me that right after I got done, I just thought it was kind of funny that it was laid out there in 1 document.

A guy on another message board had clearly done it before and wrote me a detailed how to. Just removed the 4 screws on the plastic covering, unhooked the cig lighter, removed the 4 screws holding the radio in and slid it out. Took me all of 15 minutes total.