Coach Reese last Hurrah!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Billy Dale, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Billy Dale

Billy Dale The History of Longhorn Sports through 2014

Eddie Reese.jpg There are many stunning panoramic Reflection Points in Longhorn swim Coach Reese's years at Texas. He is undoubtedly the most successful coach in Division I collegiate sports history. But from the TLSN perspective, Coach Reese's legacy is much more profound than winning national championships. The coach's vast knowledge of swimming techniques and disciplines helped prepare young athletes' bodies, souls, and minds to achieve their personal best. This is the most significant legacy he left for all his athletes. Most personal best times don't result in a win, but winning despite losing is an important lesson to learn. It redefines success for athletes and life beyond sports. I remember setting a personal best time in the 100-yard dash in high school while finishing last in my heat. I celebrated the moment like I had won. I still smile about this accomplishment, not the result. The human spirit craves the celebration of personal achievements, even in last place. Coach Reese knew this! He wanted all his athletes to set personal best times on his watch. It was a noble goal and worth all the accolades he has received. Former Longhorn great swimmer Kirk Stackle best sums up Coach Reese's philosophy by saying in an interview after losing an event, "It is okay to celebrate if you lose if it is your personal best time."Coach Reese not only led his athletes to success in the pool but also taught them valuable lessons on disciplines that will result in personal bests that can be applied beyond graduation. Texas Legacy Support Network

eddie reese last hooray.png Eddie Reese swimming.jpg Ed+Reese+WarnerCoverRP020119rev (2).jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024