College Band Ranking

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by 7in69, May 3, 2008.

1. 7in69

7in69 25+ Posts

LHB not listed in Top 10. [​IMG]

TAMU #5

OU & MOB "Honorable Mention"

They never show half times anymore of TV, so I couldn't honestly create my own list, but I'd put LHB above those three any day.

Interesting . . .

Linkisimo

2. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Who the f**k is Michael Shull?

3. 7in69

7in69 25+ Posts

My initial response as well, Taps.

Shull = CollegeSports-fans.com Director of Content

Doesn't exactly qualify him as a music adjudicator, but I assume if he travels to games, he probably sees more bands than most people. He may also have some kind of music background. Band geeks end up in all walks of life (except for maybe the NFL).

4. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

-The MOB, Southern, Jackson State, and FAMU should have been higher.

-The A&M band lacks the excietment of the aforementioned bands. I'd move them down.

-I'd have put tOSU at #1.

5. fhetw

fhetw 100+ Posts

I remember when an a&m band recruiter came to our high school and spoke to a room full of district and all staters. Told us we didn't have to know how to play an instrument and we could just march if we wanted to. Our and director got hella pissed.

6. 7in69

7in69 25+ Posts

MOB is a crass joke that I can appreciate for what it is, but for them to be considerd a candidate for "best marching band" is assinine (yes, mispelled on purpose).

Nobody does straight lines and marching bricks (in a WWII kind of way) any better than TAMU. Musically, they are a joke.

7. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

8. TheGallopinGoose

9. SlingeroGuitaro

SlingeroGuitaro 250+ Posts

coming from the big ten, i have never been all that impressed with the LHB. my favorite has always been the iu marching hundred. their musicianship is unmatched

maybe im just more old school

10. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

LHB #1
    LHB #2
    Tech #3
    everyone else...

tOSU...too prissy

[​IMG]

11. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

College band ranking = the most subjective thing ever

That being said, that list is a joke. SC and aggy, from a musical standpoint, are absolutely terrible. Subpar talent. Horrible tone quality.

12. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

From the videos I've seen of Wisconsin, I'd say they're deserving of their honorable mention, if not a spot in the top ten. They're really good. I'll wait until I see them live (if that ever happens) before I call them really damn good.

Rice is a top ten fun to watch, but might not even be top 100 in quality.

A&M being on this list is a joke.

Tech is pretty good. If they were left off a top 20 list, then I'd have questions.

Texas is (I know some of you will object) probably about as good as Tech (top 20). The talent is higher, but I think Texas doesn't get highly thought of because they basically do the same five shows every year, two of them are easy as hell (Script Texas and Wall-to-Wall), and at least one is a gimmick (video games, Saturday morning cartoons, I seem to recall Family Guy, etc).

UNT is the one I think is always forgotten. They don't march as well as some bands, but their marching is at least OK, and MAN, can they play! But what do you expect from a band full of music majors at one of the best music schools in the country?

13. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

14. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

Pretty good list save for A&M, Rice and Stanford

15. vtaenz

vtaenz 500+ Posts

USC is absolutely ******* horrible. Lines are a great mystery that they sure as hell haven't figured out yet. They flat out don't know how to play as a band. Some people hold a note for a while others don't everyone plays things a different style. The only reason they have exposure is because they're there in LA so recording artists want to through in some marching band sounds they have one nearby. tOSU should be number 1, they're pretty damn good.

16. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

The best college halftime show belongs to the stadium with the most accessible and cleanest urinals.

17. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

From the link above:

18. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

I don't understand why he didn't use the phrase "Fightin' Texas Aggie Band" just one more time

19. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

In reply to:

20. i agree with the ag, rio frio.

21. UTuba

UTuba 25+ Posts

LHB has never considered it to really be a competition. Every band has their own style. Farmy does the march drills, Tech does their fast (usually Spainish) stuff, we do our "showband" (gimmicky/traditional as it was said) stuff. It makes it kinda hard to compare; it just depends on the preference of who's asking. To each his own.

22. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

24. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

The off season really sucks.

25. 7in69

7in69 25+ Posts

Actual Source link:

Sousa Foundation

Note that only NCAA Div 1 (now BCS) institutions are eligible, AND "Any given university or college band may receive the Sudler Trophy only once." So in another 75 years of so, everyone will have been awarded a Sudler Trophy.

[​IMG]

26. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

are we really going to care where our bands are ranked?

27. LHB_SOB

LHB_SOB 250+ Posts

Each conference sort of has a band tradition that makes them hard to compare. The big ten is about small, very talented groups. the Big 12 is about BIG bands with huge sound and relatively uncomplicated marching drills (the exception is A&M, who marches the whole time, but who's sound sucks). The Pac10, gimmick bands. The SEC? I dunno. Always struck me as mediocre.

Back in the day, hands down LHB was the best band in the country. DiNino simply knew what he was doing. Last 10-15 years everything has dropped off. We're still the best in the Big 12 and in the Southwest, but schools like Michigan and Ohio State have passed us up. Unfortunately, Ohio State blew us off the field when they came to Austin, but that was a combination of early season preparation and our most boring show (Script Texas is cool, but it is boring). I would like the band to go back to more old school sets from when DiNino ran the show. Things like Shotgun Texas are exciting, traditional, and interesting to watch.

28. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

That guy is full of crap. In his other rankings, Rick Barnes isn't even on the list and Mack Brown is barely top ten. I take his opinions with a grain of salt.

29. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

30. TheGallopinGoose